• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Staple ruined my only find today. BB Golden Fleece blue/white microcheck (think GDL-style in the conservative business dress thread). Not my size, but this thing was really nice. Gorgeous MOP buttons (I think), no stains or even signs of wear. French cuffs. Very nice. Removed the staples by pulling up the prongs to avoid unnecessary injuries. But nope, staple had already left two noticeable holes right in the collar. There were two others, too, since someone must have attempted it the first time, it didn't take, and then they just tried again right above. :cloud:
So, I essentially paid for MOP buttons today :lol:. C'est la vie. I think I'll take it to my new tailor and see if she can't make it into a pocket square or two for me. It's really nice sea island cotton, so for a couple of bucks, I hope it is salvageable.

Try washing and drying first (the hotter, the better). The holes very well may close right up.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some stuff today that I'll put up tomorrow, but this is a follow up on the Coach bag I got from 46n2 after some TLC

Here's the before:

Here's after I took the pen marks off with some rubbing alcohol and a xylene blender pen

Here's after some Lexol, Venetian Cream, a coat of dark brown Meltonian cream polish (to get some color back in) and some Obenauf's LP

It all looks like the bottom right... some shine on the rest of it makes it look lighter

A little bit of discoloration where I took out the ink, but not terrible

Turned out pretty well I think. Thanks Drew!

MattR

Reaction score

Quote:

If they only left a "hole" and did not snag threads when you pulled them out, 96.7% of the time you can steam them pretty well or damp/iron on the back of the collar and get ride of the "holes". I've found most of them arnt holes as much as the threads being pushed to the side when the staple penetrates the cotton and slips between the threads
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Also easy MOP trick I found is if the buttons are cold to the touch of your lip. Plastic will not be cold. Works every time.

I sometimes pick things up for salvage like this. MOP if it's decent, and sometimes the fabric is good for pocket squares (as you mentioned), or to be recycled into other stuff (shirting makes good bag liners, for example. Luxury shirting makes even better bag liners.). But only when it's really, really cheap, and otherwise damaged.

Try washing and drying first (the hotter, the better). The holes very well may close right up.

Thanks everyone! Really glad I read this before I started in with the seam ripper. I was literally just sitting down with shirt in hand do remove the buttons.

Btw, definitely MOP. I did the cold test at the store and at home. I just wasn't sure how accurate it was.

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
great work. makes me want to start a few projects like that!
Picked up some stuff today that I'll put up tomorrow, but this is a follow up on the Coach bag I got from 46n2 after some TLC

Here's the before:

Here's after I took the pen marks off with some rubbing alcohol and a xylene blender pen

Here's after some Lexol, Venetian Cream, a coat of dark brown Meltonian cream polish (to get some color back in) and some Obenauf's LP

It all looks like the bottom right... some shine on the rest of it makes it look lighter

A little bit of discoloration where I took out the ink, but not terrible

Turned out pretty well I think. Thanks Drew!

Kitontini

Reaction score

Another dissapointing day. Found a Kiton prince of wales plaid suit in size 52L, I hit the ceiling and had it in my hands ready to purchase for the princely sum of $39.99. I was thinking of ANDRO, NATAKU or ACHILLIES when I was in line. My wife then said to me "you are not seriously thinking of getting that"? I was like "yeah, why do you ask"? Wife then pointed at all the flawed spots - numerous small holes on one sleeve. Other sleeve had 2 visible holes about the size of a pinhead. Then the real killer - my wife pointed to the back of the jacket by the neck - a 3" rip and about 2 holes larger than a dime running alone by the collar. I gave the suit to the lady behind the counter, and only scored today

Oh good god no.... I spit out my drink when I read this! I feel your pain! Why donate a Kiton like that?!

Forgot my phone at home today so couldn't take pics, came across someone's like entire stash of Pink shirts, I think they were either 17/35 or 16/41 can't really recall, but there were at least 9, all different types of material. Didn't grab because they were up to about 9 or 10 a pop and I wasn't sure if anyone was interested. Also had to pass on a pair of NWT Mabitex (had a tear above the label) and a pair of Luciano Barbera pants because it looked like someone ran through mud at the bottom of them.

What if that wasn't mud...? :uhoh:

Some decent scores today. Hit a few stores and came away with these: (all are available. Pics and measurements upon request)

-2 Linen Borrelli Shirts. One Luxury Vintage. One is Light Green, the L V is purplish pink. (Nice Easter/Spring colors!) Both are size Large
-2 Brunello Cucinelli button down shirts. One is 100% Cotton, size XL, very light pink. The Second is 100% Linen, size XXL, light blue.
-Robert Talbott Estate COLORFUL Shirt. Linen/Cotton blend, I think. Size XL.
-Castangia Shirt! Size 17, Solid Blue. MY FIRST EVER FIND! I didn't know they made shirts... ?!
-Filson 100% cotton Jeans. Possibly NWOT. Size 36, olive green. Very Unique Looking!

OH! and a NWT Filson henley Shirt.... When I got home, I found out that it said WOMEN'S SHIRT!!! FUUU!!!!! Anybody want to give their wife a Filson shirt? Solid white, size Large. It can be yours/hers for $20!

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh good god no.... I spit out my drink when I read this! I feel your pain! Why donate a Kiton like that?!

Tax return maybe? Deduct a $5K suit, keep original retail receipt, get receipt from GW, uncle sam may throw a few bucks your way.

-2 Linen Borrelli Shirts. One Luxury Vintage. One is Light Green, the L V is purplish pink. (Nice Easter/Spring colors!) Both are size Large
-2 Brunello Cucinelli button down shirts. One is 100% Cotton, size XL, very light pink. The Second is 100% Linen, size XXL, light blue.
-Robert Talbott Estate COLORFUL Shirt. Linen/Cotton blend, I think. Size XL.
-Castangia Shirt! Size 17, Solid Blue. MY FIRST EVER FIND! I didn't know they made shirts... ?!
-Filson 100% cotton Jeans. Possibly NWOT. Size 36, olive green. Very Unique Looking!
OH! and a NWT Filson henley Shirt.... When I got home, I found out that it said WOMEN'S SHIRT!!! FUUU!!!!! Anybody want to give their wife a Filson shirt? Solid white, size Large. It can be yours/hers for $20!

Borrelli shirts will raise some pms for you. I on the other hand are looking at the Cucinelli shirts. Pics and measurements please - that is if you do not keep for yourself. I only have 3 linen shirts in my wardrobe :(

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tax return maybe? Deduct a $5K suit, keep original retail receipt, get receipt from GW, uncle sam may throw a few bucks your way.
Borrelli shirts will raise some pms for you. I on the other hand are looking at the Cucinelli shirts. Pics and measurements please - that is if you do not keep for yourself. I only have 3 linen shirts in my wardrobe
frown.gif

I've still got some waiting for you
smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. It's worked 85% of the time for me when I had holes from either staples or those stupid plastic tags (which IMO are worse than staples when put through fabric).

amadar

Reaction score
From today's consignment haul: Stefano Ricci 100% Silk Formal Shirt: Anybody planning on attending any black tie events this upcoming St. Patrick's Day?

Kitontini

Reaction score

Tax return maybe? Deduct a $5K suit, keep original retail receipt, get receipt from GW, uncle sam may throw a few bucks your way. Borrelli shirts will raise some pms for you. I on the other hand are looking at the Cucinelli shirts. Pics and measurements please - that is if you do not keep for yourself. I only have 3 linen shirts in my wardrobe :(
Hm, good point. Still... a desheveled Kiton? Pure torture for those who find it. Pics and measurements of my haul stated above are below.... -Borrelli Luxury Vintage Linen Shirt. Sz Large. Chest: 26', Shoulders: 20", Sleeves: 24.25", Length: 35". -Borrelli Shirt. Sz Large. Chest: 24", Shoulders: 19.5", Sleeves: 23.25", Length: 33". -Brunello Cucinelli Linen Shirt. Sz XXL. Chest: 24", Shoulders: 19", Sleeves: 24", Length: 31". -Brunello Cucinelli Cotton Shirt. Sz XL. Chest: 23.25", Shoulders: 19", Sleeves: 24", Length: 32.5". -Castangia Shirt. Sz 17. (Keeping, but here's proof..) -Robert Talbott Estate Shirt. Sz XL. -Filson Cotton Jeans. Sz 36/33.5. Rise: 11.25".

Kitontini

Reaction score

I dig that Talbott estate shirt but I have a feeling it runs true to size. Please tell me it fits slim.

Unfortunately, it does fit true to size. Its not slim. Chest: 25", Shoulders: 20", Sleeves: 25.5", Length: 31" to prove it to you.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, gents, I'd asked for a "first cufflinks" recommendation a couple weeks back...

I was just going to say I found my first Craig Taylor shirt the other day. I'm not too keen on double cuffs, but I like how this brand handles it: using a linked pair of slightly over-sized MOP buttons for cufflinks, the same kind found elsewhere on the shirt. You could probably make your own pretty easily. :slayer:

Nice shirt, too. Made in the US, nice fabric, and a hidden placket, which is always a plus. I'm just not sure about their sizing. I wear a medium, but their XS was a good slim fit (though I couldn't get the collar buttoned).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads