• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I think my radar might be way off on the desirability of Harris Tweeds. Since I'm in a colder climate (Canada) I could literally bag 6-8 HT jackets per thrift. I always leave them thinking that they are just as ubiquitous everywhere else.

Maybe I should start picking more of them up and making them available. My recent one was only purchased because it was way up there on the fit/quality/fabric scale.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like them a lot, but I also just like tweed generally. They're definitely higher quality than many of the other tweed jackets I see. I actually like these 2 better than the PRL tweed jacket I have for myself.

I think my radar might be way off on the desirability of Harris Tweeds. Since I'm in a colder climate (Canada) I could literally bag 6-8 HT jackets per thrift. I always leave them thinking that they are just as ubiquitous everywhere else.
Maybe I should start picking more of them up and making them available. My recent one was only purchased because it was way up there on the fit/quality/fabric scale.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i just checked, i've been a SF member since Feb. 19, 2005. also, not a noob to thrifting by any means, i just never felt a need to post to this thread until i picked up a pair of near-new PRL suits and wanted to trade them for something in my size (see my signature).
and yes, trying to moderate an open forum is like pissing in the wind.

You are a noob to the thread, no? You conveniently cut that part out. I said "thread noob."

WRAdviser

Reaction score
LOL looks like I'm in the dumpster of Style Forum.

A buncha cockroaches scurrying when the light turns on.

< Backs away slowly >

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I remember why I stopped posting in SF for the last few months. 500 Pseudo-intellectuals in a pissing match about how a f*cking thread should be structured, moderated, conducted and to what extent converations out of the originally intended scope should be tolerated. Sounds like fun.

Catch you guys on eBay; there are more morons there but the morons are easy to please. :D

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troll invasion of the thread it seems. :confused:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Troll invasion of the thread it seems. :confused:

If time allows I will get us back on track with some of the finds from this week. My favorite was from a store I now call 'The Orphanage' - an orphaned Canali, Brioni and Oxxford (I think) jacket all on the same rack where they only had maybe 25 for sale. I went through the pants for an hour. At least they were patterns that could work as a sport coat.

thrift-fu

Reaction score
Since I'm in a colder climate (Canada) I could literally bag 6-8 HT jackets per thrift. I always leave them thinking that they are just as ubiquitous everywhere else.

I hear you on this. There's easily that many in each store around here. Often they're by a mediocre label or have no label besides Harris Tweed. I don't pay them any mind anymore since I already have enough of them.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys order what you look for at in thrift stores?

I go in this order:

1. Dress shirts
2. Suits / Sport coats
3. Casual Jackets / Long Coats / Leather Jackets (often in womans section or mixed gender)
4. Pants and Jeans
5. Sweaters
6. Ties
7. Casual Shirts / Polos / Short Sleeves
8. Shoes
9. Furniture and antiques
10. Sporting Equipment
(I am still looking for a good home gym with olympic barbell and set of free weights- need to get benching again)
11. Electronics
12. DVD's / Video games
(Dont make fun of me because at 35 years old I still enjoy playing games :( )

If time permits, I wade through womans clothing although usually my wife is my everpresent sidekick and she knows the brands as well as I do.

I do not go through mounds of tee shirts. I never wear tees other than as undergarments. Walmart or Hanes brand does me good and it is cheaper than thrift store tees :lol:. As for shorts, I dont wear shorts either and if I do, they are usually 3/4 length or military style camo (I usually buy shorts from army surplus / tactical gear places).

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go:

1. Shoes
  2. Bags/Messengers (I've been looking for a nice cheap black one for forever now...finally found a mocha colored one that will do today, but I'll keep looking)
  3. Long Coats
  4. Suits/SCs
  5. Sweaters
  6. Shirts
  7. Ties

I do shoes first because depressingly enough, there are never any good ones anyway where I go, and they have so few that I feel like I might as well get the disappointment out of the way, haha. I also want some nicer shoes more than I want anything else right now, so the potential payoff of checking there first is the greatest.

I go in this order:
1. Dress shirts
2. Suits / Sport coats
3. Casual Jackets / Long Coats / Leather Jackets (often in womans section or mixed gender)
4. Pants and Jeans
5. Sweaters
6. Ties
8. Shoes
10. Sporting Equipment
(I am still looking for a good home gym with olympic barbell and set of free weights- need to get benching again)
11. Electronics
12. DVD's / Video games
(Dont make fun of me because at 35 years old I still enjoy playing games
frown.gif
)
If time permits, I wade through womans clothing although usually my wife is my everpresent sidekick and she knows the brands as well as I do.
I do not go through mounds of tee shirts. I never wear tees other than as undergarments. Walmart or Hanes brand does me good and it is cheaper than thrift store tees
lol8[1].gif
. As for shorts, I dont wear shorts either and if I do, they are usually 3/4 length or military style camo (I usually buy shorts from army surplus / tactical gear places).

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Video games

Found an Atari 2600 last night with all the controllers and 5 or 6 cartriges ($15). Can't wait to break it out this weekend for a bit.

1. Shoes
2. Ties
3. Suits / SCs
4. Outerwear
5. Pants
6. Sweaters/Shirts
7. Womens Scarves...for pocket squares
8. Dishes...for Anchor Hocking, Fire King
9. Electronics ...for Polaroid
10. Antiques, although usually rediculously overpriced.

dongale

Reaction score
Quote:
I also want some nicer shoes more than I want anything else right now, so the potential payoff of checking there first is the greatest.

That's how I go about it: in order of need. Right now, I most need shoes, pants, and jackets. I hit those first. I rarely even look at shirts because I never find anything worth wearing.

lastdonb

Reaction score
I go in this order:
1. Dress shirts
2. Suits / Sport coats
4. Pants and Jeans
5. Sweaters
6. Ties
8. Shoes
10. Sporting Equipment
11. Electronics
12. DVD's / Video games
(Dont make fun of me because at 35 years old I still enjoy playing games
frown.gif
)
I do not go through mounds of tee shirts. I never wear tees other than as undergarments. Walmart or Hanes brand does me good and it is cheaper than thrift store tees
lol8[1].gif
. As for shorts, I dont wear shorts either and if I do, they are usually 3/4 length or military style camo (I usually buy shorts from army surplus / tactical gear places).

Being new at thrifting, I started with whatever mens stuff was on the right hand part of the store, usually ties. After a few trips, I figured out if I found any ties, I had to carry them all over the store looking at other stuff. Now I go:

1. Shoes (as there normally aren't any as Andro mentioned)
2. Suits/SC
3. The "better Quality" racks
4. Jeans
5. Wade through all the Dockers
6. Shirts
7. Ties/Belts

Last edited:

Pawz

Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score

Details on what made it "way up there"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads