• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
If they're like a 10, then yes... If they're smaller than that, then no. Damn that Spoo... Doesn't he have enough?
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
+1 here too
I agree... I've been trading and buying / selling from this thread since I started on here and it's helped my wardrobe a lot and I've been able to pass on good deals to people. I've learned so much through this thread that it's only right, and it makes for a good community.
LOL did you really need 3 separate posts for that? Just and FYI, you can use the "Multi" button at the bottom of each post to group posts together (like above) and then replay to each one all in one post.

+1. Like I posted earlier, there are many of us that find the occasional gem, but no on a regular basis. This thread allows us to supplement our wardrobes on the cheap. Today, I am wearing a ps from Spoo, a jacket and watch from Nataku and a tie from bytor13. Total retail value would be in the many thousands, I paid in the low hundreds. For that, I am very grateful.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+1 I have bought, traded, and sold more things though this post over the last 2 months then through the entire B&S forum since the switchover a few months ago.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL did you really need 3 separate posts for that? Just and FYI, you can use the "Multi" button at the bottom of each post to group posts together (like above) and then replay to each one all in one post.

You assume that I plan things out ahead of time
biggrin.gif

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You assume that I plan things out ahead of time :D

I am just glad people are piping up about this. This is an interactive forum where the discussion helps all of us learn, acquire some great goods, discuss a hobby and sometimes just make the time pass and avoid what we should really be doing. :embar: If you just want to see pictures of Brioni suits I recommend this.

That said, I hit a lot of stores on the East coast while travelling and will get some pictures up of some of the more interesting items soon. No homeruns, but some nice items and even a few things for myself. :nodding:

amnesiacv2

Reaction score
Okay, I measured the high end stuff I picked up yesterday. Had a few PM's expressing interest. The 2 suits are cut very slim. I think this person was a rail; they seem to have measurements closer to a 44L rather than the EU 56R they're tagged with:

Canali Proposta - Tagged 56R

Chest - 22.5"
Waist - 21"
Shoulder - 20"
Length - 32.5"
Sleeve - 24.5" + 1" to let out

Pants - single pleated
Waist - 35" + 2-3" to let out
Inseam - 31" + 1"
Cuff - 2"

Canali SC - Tagged 56R

Chest - 23"
Waist - 21"
Shoulder - 21"
Length - 32"
Sleeve - 24.5" + maybe 1" to let out

Valentino Uomo Blazer

Chest - 24.5"
Waist - 23"
Shoulders - 21"
Length - 33"
Sleeve - 25.5" + .5" to let out

Barneys / Loro Piana

Chest - 23"
Waist - 21"
Shoulders - 20"
Length - 32.5"
Sleeve - 24.5" + 1" to let out

Pants
Waist - 35" + 2-3" to let out
Inseam - 32" (none to let out)
Cuff - 2"

Bad cell phone pics

Barneys: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/barneys.jpg
Canali SC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/canali2.jpg
Canali Proposta: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/canaliproposta.jpg
Valentino Blazer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/valentino.jpg

As stated before, I'd rather trade than sell. I need the following:

- Shoes (10.5D)
- Belts (36)
- Trousers (36/30)
- Staple navy/grey suits (41-42R)
- Dress shirts (16.5/33-34)

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so I took a chance and went back for those Church's shoes. Turns out my recollection was imperfect. The cordovan loafers were labeled "Handmade" and the brown wingtips were labeled "Custom Grade." I also picked up a pair of black Brooks Brothers "Made in England" that hardly look worn. In fact, wear on all the shoes is light to moderate.
And -- with Brianpore specifically in mind -- I picked up a pink and blue check BB shirt in a 15 x 33 with 17.75 (or thereabouts) shoulders (hope that's small enough, because if not, I just bought a really expensive pocket square). There's a faint lime green check running through the pink that doesn't show in the pic. And the pink is much more vibrant.

The loafers are in a 10.5 and I think I'll keep them (subject to a tempting enough offer; I don't have a pair and these seem nice -- could use a polish, but...).
I stuffed my feet into the wingtips and convinced myself for all of 10 minutes that I wasn't in abject misery. Then I realized I was wrong. They're definitely in the 9.5 range. Again, I know nothing about shoes, so if there's a size folks are seeing here, let me know. Or if there's a way to measure other than what I've done, just let me know and I'll correct the error of my ways.
Here's to hoping this risk pays off....
BB Made in England black: 4" wide (measured at widest) x 11.75 (measured from toe to heel, under shoe) And yes, these pics were taken in my bathroom. Best lighting at night.

Church Wingtip: 4.5 w x 12 L

Church loafer: 4.25w x 12 L

No way are those big enough for you... They're the same size as the 10.5 loafers... I happen to be a 10.5 :D

Dibs on the Church's

Unfortunately, I'm positive the brown wings are not 10.5. I am 10.5 and fit the loafers -- which do show a 10.5 size -- but not the wings. I measured the sole of the shoe, but of course that's bigger than the shoe itself. Just to be sure, I stuffed myself into the Church's and was damn near hobbled for an hour after. They're smaller than 10.5.
Also, more bad news: There's a queue of a few people on the wings, with Spoo first. I'm happy to add you (grendel) at the end, if you want. Fair? :satisfied:

These sound like they are closer to 9.5 US. That's my size :slayer:. These will be too small for Spoo.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 in every respect.  This is the only thread I consistently check (I obviously check others on occasion), mostly because the quality of information here and general nice/helpfulness is great.  Ditto on the Pendleton discussion, and same with the Oxy discussion - I've learned tons of helpful things from posters here.  And I think Manofstyle overstates the prevalence of people here just trying to make a quick buck - I can only speak for myself, but I mostly pick up stuff that isn't for myself to sell/trade, just so I can get items that are my size.  Because of my weird dimensions, I almost never find stuff for myself while thrifting...but if someone likes something I have and they buy it from me (on the cheap - honestly, I usually sell to SF members for half of what I'd list something for on ebay), then I can turn around and get stuff from someone else here that works for me - which I've done 3-4 times this week alone.  I certainly would not have had the funds to pick up the items I have from other SF members if not for selling a few of the things that weren't my size.

Buying stuff to flip is generally a waste of time unless its a massive score. I've done it a few times and end up wishing I didnt when it comes time to pack and ship.

This thread is informative but most of you are new to thrifting. You should have been doing it 15 years ago when you were competing with homeless guys and finds were much better than today.

Too many people trying to find scores with ever more limited opportunities. I've also learned alot from this thread but mostly it makes me frustrated to see you bitches finding sick **** while my scores are getting rarer and rarer.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my point though. I'm not trying to, nor do I aspire to make a million bucks. I'm trying to get a few bucks so I can afford to buy the cashmere/silk Oxxford SC and the Paul Stuart SC I got earlier this week. It's rare that I ever sell anything at a loss, so even $5 here and there eventually adds up to enough in my Paypal account to pick up something I like from another poster here.

Buying stuff to flip is generally a waste of time unless its a massive score. I've done it a few times and end up wishing I didnt when it comes time to pack and ship.
This thread is informative but most of you are new to thrifting. You should have been doing it 15 years ago when you were competing with homeless guys and finds were much better than today.
Too many people trying to find scores with ever more limited opportunities. I've also learned alot from this thread but mostly it makes me frustrated to see you bitches finding sick **** while my scores are getting rarer and rarer.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if you're only "trying to make a quick buck," why does that matter? Most of the stuff I post here is stuff that I'm trying to sell or trade. Everything that I've ever sold on here has gone for significantly less than it would on eBay or B&S. I guess I just don't understand the bitching and moaning that occasionally pops up here. The thread moves fast, there's tons of stuff to see, learn about, buy, trade, what have you. How is that a bad thing?

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, this, boys and girls, is why you always check the racks that are coming out. I stopped by a place that's historically been pretty good and didn't find a single stitch of decent clothing, which was quite surprising. I was walking out to leave and saw that a new rack was coming out. Almost didn't check it, but glad I did. Nothing earthshattering, but some pretty nice items overall.

Ok, so I'm not one to throw around the "NWOT" language, but I'm 95% sure these two really are NWOT. Harris Tweed, both in a beautiful herringbone pattern, both size 48. There's not a single mark on any of the leather buttons (which seem to invariably be scuffed up on used HTs I find), and the white Harris Tweed patch that normally fades/discolors a bit after time is pure white. Also, all of the front pockets are still basted shut. They're super recent, with recent looking tags/badges, and are both double side vented. Super nice.

Next, 100% Cashmere Loro Piana tan sportcoat. This thing baffles me - no content label, no brand patch (other than the LP fabric patch...but there's no LP brand patch, which leads me to believe LP isn't the maker). The only clue I have is the neck "made in italy" label, which looks like Canali's style, but isn't in the Canali cursive script. No clue on who makes this one, but it's very nice

Next, Nice Hickey Freeman patch pocket brass button navy blue blazer

This one I'm kicking myself for. Quite gorgeous Ben Silver 3 roll 2 gold button navy blazer...but I found 2 pinhead-sized moth holes in the sleeves when I got home. Apparently I didn't check well enough in the store.
facepalm.gif

Also got 3 staple BB FC shirts.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Harris Tweed, both in a beautiful herringbone pattern, both size 48. There's not a single mark on any of the leather buttons (which seem to invariably be scuffed up on used HTs I find), and the white Harris Tweed patch that normally fades/discolors a bit after time is pure white. Also, all of the front pockets are still basted shut. They're super recent, with recent looking tags/badges, and are both double side vented. Super nice.

Been looking for a fully lined Harris Tweed, those are sharp, but too big. But are they made by "Harris Tweed" or different maker?

What would be a top notch "maker" of a Harris Tweed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members