• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhead

Reaction score

So I have a strategic question for you experienced Ebayers - Seeing that there are only 9 days left till Christmas and a 10 day listing would end the day after Christmas (a terrible, terrible idea), when is the best time to list items from here on out?  Are people really realistically going to be spending superfluous money for themselves on clothes at any point between now and Christmas...and after getting the shell shock from that December bank statement in January, are they really likely to buy anything in January either?  I guess, basically, is it a bad idea to list items auction style now...would it be better to hold them until like mid to late January to list?

It would be quite depressing to have the only Henry Poole I'll ever find go for $9.99 because I listed it at the wrong time and everyone is broke. lol.

OK, this is my experience on this side of the pond, bearing in mind that we have different holidays over here, we enjoy an "extra" day on 26 December called "Boxing Day".

Christmas day this year is on a Sunday, so I'm arranging that none of my auctions end on the Friday or Saturday, simply because people will be either too drunk or too busy for eBay. Most of my auctions are scheduled to end at 8.00pm UK time and previous experience has shown me that by 8.00pm on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, people are sick & tired of family, old movies on TV etc etc, they may also have had a little tipple with their Christmas lunch and are feeling merry. They escape to the safety of the WWW and many to the eBay environment, to spend the money they may have either received for Christmas or have left over from their shopping. In my experience sales and prices realised actually rise on Christmas day & Boxing day.

Similarly, I won't have any auctions ending on New Year's Eve or the Friday prior but will schedule them to end on 1 January 2012 and beyond. Sales continue well throughout January but nose-dive in February, when people get their Christmas credit card bills through the door. February is usually a write-off sales-wise unless I drastically reduce my prices.

Some more personal rules that I generally follow are:

Most auction listings are for 5 days. Ten days is too long to wait and most eBayer buyers and browsers are on there every day, so the majority of my listings are for five days only.

Auctions ending on a Wednesday usually attract lower prices than auctions ending on Tuesday or Thursday.

Sunday evening-ending auctions usually realise the best prices

If an item hasn't sold on auction first time, list once more and then if it doesn't sell the 2nd time, put it in my shop on a "BiN Make Me An Offer" "Good 'til Completed" basis, automatically set to reject offers below what I consider a minimum and automatically accept anything above what I consider a good price. They can sit there forever, I've usually forgotten about them and moved on to other things. I regularly have sales on fixed price items and that also attracts attention.

Unless I am entirely confident that an item will sell well, never start an auction at 99p - that may be the price it finally sells for.

In many ways eBay is recession-proof. Although I have noticed many items don't get the prices I was getting a couple of years ago, I just increase my activity to compensate

That's just my two-pennorth, take from it what you wish

codhead

Reaction score
A little more eBay tomfoolery:

FROM A PET & SMOKE-FREE HOME

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those pants are hot. PM me measurements and price if you're planning to sell plese

P1040778.jpg

P1040779.jpg

P1040780.jpg

I would chop a bit of my foot off to make these fit!!!!

7.5D Paul Smith

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went this morning... Not much but I did get an awesome Woolrich red and black plaid field coat with patch pockets, hand-warmer pockets, and 2 huge game pockets in the back that could hold a couple ducks, a couple bottles of wine, etc.

It's a 42, which might fit me. Not sure if I want to keep it or flip it.

MattR

Reaction score

Went this morning... Not much but I did get an awesome Woolrich red and black plaid field coat with patch pockets, hand-warmer pockets, and 2 huge game pockets in the back that could hold a couple ducks, a couple bottles of wine, etc. 

It's a 42, which might fit me. Not sure if I want to keep it or flip it. 

The description on the Woolrich site makes it look really great. I'd keep it, if it were me, but I like that type of stuff.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I saw a vintage adding machine that looked a lot like this, only with a wider print head and in better condition:

Are these worth picking up and flipping? It looked really cool, and if I had more room in my place I'd have gotten it just as a decoration.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The description on the Woolrich site makes it look really great. I'd keep it, if it were me, but I like that type of stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty cool, and very heavy. I didn't try it on, but I may keep it if it fits. That would be an awesome coat for sneaking booze into a football game ;)

If anyone is a 42 and interested let me know and I'll if I don't keep it it'll be up for grabs.

codhead

Reaction score

Also, I saw a vintage adding machine that looked a lot like this, only with a wider print head and in better condition:

Are these worth picking up and flipping? It looked really cool, and if I had more room in my place I'd have gotten it just as a decoration. 

That's no adding machine, that's a comptometer

Probably make £40 GBP with a following wind on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads