• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I have been basically hoarding thrift store finds for resale as I have stopped various places in my travels looking for treasures in my size. Recently I have found 2 or 3 pairs of shell cordovan and a practically new pair of pebble grain Florsheim Impreials (on Ebay). Lots of nice sweaters and shirts, but I have suits and sport coats EVERYWHERE.
This thread has been an inspiration to my continued hoarding so I thought I would post a picture I took today while photographing suits on the manequin. Here is ONE of two racks I have to process & list, including lots of Brooks Bros., RLPL, Hickey Freeman (all levels) Samuelsohn, Canali, Oxxford (jacket only) and I can't remember what else. I think I have almost 100 suits and jackets to go through.
shog[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My goal is to let these nice jackets find a new home, make someone happy with their bargain and to pay for my kid's preschool.
biggrin.gif

NY, I can imagine the amount of clothing that is available there.. but damn...

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha cool! I like it except for #1 and #7. I've seen some amazing cashmere ties, although they are rare. I also have some really nice "loud" print ties. Sometimes they can really "wake-up" a dull outfit. It all depends on the occasion, though!

You are correct about the cashmere. I just couldn't bring the fabric to mind when I was typing. The loud ties, OTOH will never be loud enough to drown out the sound of Spoo screaming at me in my head to leave them on the rack. So I do.

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
The last couple days have been some of my best thrifting scores ever. I started out on Friday afternoon finding an older Ermenegildo Zegna shirt. Not amazing, but my father will like it. Then at the next store I found a tan wool/silk blend Canali sport coat. Unfortunately it’s unvented, but will fit well if I get the sleeves let out. I’m thinking I may keep it, the fabric is gorgeous. At the same store I found a beautiful grey with brown window panes recent double vented Canali suit, also my size. I can see this one quickly entering my rotation.
Saturday was a bust.
Today though, my luck changed. Three racks of clothes had just been rolled out from the back of the store. They were just sitting there so I started flipping through. First up, a cotton/merino wool blend Bamford & Sons sweater. Next, a cotton Brunello Cucinelli vest, new with Bergdorf tags still attached. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli crew neck sweater. Next, a 100% cashmere Brunello Cucinelli v-neck neck sweater. Next, a blue striped Loro Piana (branded, not fabric) sport shirt. Finally, to round it out an older pair of Ermenegildo Zegna khakis that should fit my cousin. I grabbed the pile and turned to run for the register. But, before I could make it two steps one of the employees started yelling at me “those aren’t for sale, we haven’t priced them yet!” Uh oh. I had visions of them going to the great back room in the sky never to be seen again. Luckily, turns out she was pricing the racks as they rolled onto the floor, so I just had to wait a few minutes. Everything was base price and away I went a happy camper.
I’ll have to take pictures at some point.
Maybe not the most amazing finds ever elsewhere, but frankly, it was pretty amazing for St. Louis.
I’d tend to agree, that’s been my experience I as well. Sure you can always measure, but I find this to be a good rule of thumb too (especially if you can’t reach out and touch the jacket).

Solid haul.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone have any idea about the value of a womens Brioni mink fur coat?

Assuming condition is great, I would say $2K as a starting point.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Found one for sale in the LOW 3 figure range. Hoping that's a good buy price and wondering what I could sell it for.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a lot of cool stuff today, but my first find of the morning was the best...

NWOT Alden's, size 11.5 AAAA/AAA (?) Any tips on the name of the style or how much these should go for on the 'bay appreciated. I think it's this one:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_comf_757.htm

Looks like they tried a tongue pad and couldn't make them work?

My other big treasure today is this Robert Talbott 7 fold tie... I was checking out and saw that they had some stuff in a case that they had decided was more valuable... In this case they were right. This is the first 7 fold I've ever seen. Pretty cool. Again, tips on listing or price much appreciated.

It's numbered 39/40, so I'm guessing this is a limited production and each one is numbered?

A couple more nice ties... Brioni and Paul Stuart. I think I'm going to keep the Paul Stuart, 'cause I like the colors.

A couple ties just for me, Brooks Brothers Makers and Gant:

Found another Hickey Freeman suit... Grey flannel 40R. Found 2 more Harris Tweeds to flip.

Found some nice shirts... A NWT linen Hickey Freeman... This thing is heavy. Must be double ply linen:

A canali sportshirt:

Lots of Brooks Brothers

Also several Hickey Freeman and some Ike Behar

16/34

16/34

Ike Behar wool flannel casual shirt. Very soft.

I'm thinking about making batches of shirts of the same size for eBay... 2 or 3 per. Anybody tried this?

I got a great Woolrich parka for me for the winter and playing in the snow. Looks like it's hardly been worn.

Now for the weird stuff I found but didn't kop... First a huge overcoat that must have weighed 15 lbs. It had buttons that say "Canada". Canadian navy maybe?

Also, matching Pendleton shirt / sportcoats? They are shirt weight but cut like a sportcoat with leather buttons?

Again, any hints for eBay or pricing would be great. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

NWOT Alden's, size 11.5 AAAA/AAA (?) Any tips on the name of the style or how much these should go for on the 'bay appreciated. I think it's this one: 

My other big treasure today is this Robert Talbott 7 fold tie... I was checking out and saw that they had some stuff in a case that they had decided was more valuable... In this case they were right. This is the first 7 fold I've ever seen. Pretty cool. Again, tips on listing or price much appreciated.

It's numbered 39/40, so I'm guessing this is a limited production and each one is numbered?

A couple more nice ties... Brioni and Paul Stuart. I think I'm going to keep the Paul Stuart, 'cause I like the colors. 

Found another Hickey Freeman suit... Grey flannel 40R. Found 2 more Harris Tweeds to flip.

Found some nice shirts... A NWT linen Hickey Freeman... This thing is heavy. Must be double ply linen:

A canali sportshirt:

Lots of Brooks Brothers

16/34

16/34

I'm thinking about making batches of shirts of the same size for eBay... 2 or 3 per. Anybody tried this?

I got a great Woolrich parka for me for the winter and playing in the snow. Looks like it's hardly been worn.

Now for the weird stuff I found but didn't kop... First a huge overcoat that must have weighed 15 lbs. It had buttons that say "Canada". Canadian navy maybe?

Also, matching Pendleton shirt / sportcoats? They are shirt weight but cut like a sportcoat with leather buttons? 

Good lord, dude! I really like that Woolrich jacket. Should be very comfy.

Re: The Pendeltons. I think they make a shirt jacket as well as blazers. (see here: http://awemator.tumblr.com/post/13195300124/found-two-really-great-pieces-from-pendleton-today). I'm a big fan of their shirts. Wool is a bit itchy, but with an tshirt underneath you'd never know. Otherwise, very handsome.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Holland & Sherry tie is made by Tom James too. I've found a couple of the Tom James Holland & Sherry shirts and they only had Holland & Sherry embroidered on them. Here is a full list of the Tom James lines.

Thanks for the info. I have to say much of the Tom James stuff I see is actually pretty nice. Maybe I'll start paying more attention to it if it's my size and from one of their better lines.

Today's finds....My first Harris Tweed that wasn't eaten by moths. It's a 50R but it actually is only slightly large on me...I might keep it. A really cool LL Bean linen/cotton sweater vest. Made in Ireland in my size so I'm going to hang onto it. Also found a pair of Pebble Grain Florsheim's in black. Listed a 10.5B but they seem to run small. My 9.5D can almost wear them..a bit snug in the width.

Last was a Crombie made in Great Britain overcoat. It's tagged 36R, It's grey and I think it may be NWOT. It's from Bloomingdale's, and one of the pockets has a paper tag in it that looks like something you would pull out after buying. If it's not new it was worn very little. This will be for sale/trade...I'll have pictures tomorrow.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A canali sportshirt:

Lots of Brooks Brothers

16/34

16/34

Nice finds. I passed on a similar Woolrich coat with plaid liner and I still regret it.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Scored a like-new pair of AE Delrays off of ebay for $70. I've been wanting to buy a pair of these for a long time.

codhead

Reaction score

I'd be inclined to list them separately on BiN listings, or if you are going to auction them, stagger the end times. If you pair them up and someone likes one but not the other, it may put them off bidding. If you offer to combine postage too, that should help.

One other suggestion if you're listing on auction: Unless you're 100% confident that your listing will attract lots of bids (and obviously lots of money), never, ever start a listing at $0.99c, that may just be the price it sells at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads