• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
This is a coat I found that I'm selling, but thought it was a fantastic example of a vintage sportcoat. I would love for this one to fit me.

A. Vitullo of Utica (store label)
Scotsforth Shetland 3/2 tweed sack, hacking pockets, side vents, half-lined with paisley lining
Estimated size: 43/44L

img2001r.jpg

img1998p.jpg

This breast pocket blows me away. Is anyone familiar with this design?

img2024r.jpg

img2022l.jpg

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I found a couple interesting items. First is a vintage suit. It had a couple interesting features, and a nice cloth, and at the price($3) I couldn't pass it up.
LR1.jpg
LR2.jpg
LR3.jpg
Next is a nice Canali sportcoat.
Canali1.jpg
Canali2.jpg
Some Harris tweed stuff - HT vest, a Lands End sportcoat, and an Orvis Harris tweed vest - tweed all the way around the back.
Harris1.jpg
Harris2.jpg
Harris3.jpg
Last.. a pair of Cole Haan made in the USA burgundy wingtips.
ColeHaan.jpg
Also found a Tumi army green duffel bag which seems like a cross between nylon & canvas - more rugged looking than ballistic, a WWII swiss army wool greatcoat, and a WWII US Army wool shortcoat(pic below) in immaculate condition dated 4/26/1943 - looks almost identical to a peacoat but in army green.
00019.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That Harris Tweed vest is real nice. I like the colors/pattern. Has anyone else noticed the lack of the usual tax write-off donation/merchandise spike this year? I went to 6 thrifts this morning/afternoon and came out with nothing. Thing is, the racks were so bare. I only found a handful of stuff from this weeks color tag. Usually around this time of year, the racks are so packed it's tough to look at stuff. Today, it looks like the spaced stuff out so much to try to cover the empty spots.
frown.gif
Hope things pick up soon....

ecdhunt

Reaction score
This thread caught my eye over Christmas vacation. So i read through ost of it in amazement. Over the past year, I learned I know nothing about style, but I dress much better than I did then. So i figured I'd hit a few of the thrift stores in my area. I've found a few nice items, but nothing that fit me - until today.

I found a Loro Piana 100% Cashmere full-length top coat. There's a couple of light wear marks on the right shoulder and one on the left chest under the buttons, but it seems to be in really nice shape. Really soft and fairly heavy - feels wonderful. (Yes- this is my first cashmere anything.) It was originally sold by an upscale men's retailer in the area - I have bought a suit and a blazer from them at retail in the past.

I figured for $20 I couldn't lose! And it fits! I may be addicted now. And I would not have even looked twice at this coat a year ago, and 2 months ago I wouldn't have known the Loro Piana name or label. Thanks SF.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went today after work, tried a Dior tuxedo that was in excellent condition, probably worn twice for $50. Unfortunately it was too big for me. If anyone wants it, I'll swing back and see if they still have it. It's tagged a 43R, but fits much closer to a 41. I'm normally a 40, and it was barely too big on me.

I haven't had much recently and will be checking out a supposedly great one this weekend.

pejsek

Reaction score
Passed on a superb pair of bespoke ladies golf shoes from Henry Maxwell--white suede with a navy wing cap, a product of the Dover St years; as usual the punching was completely assured and perfectly executed. I don't think anyone (possibly excepting Koji Suzuki) does brogueing on this level anymore. Anyway, I have too many bespoke shoes I can't wear and I don't know any women who golf who would be into this kind of thing. A gift of two-toned vintage golf shoes could be so easily misunderstood. So I left them on the shelf along with a pair of pointy-toed Lambertson-Truex white bucks (nice suede but already becoming unglued).

A couple of stops later my patience was rewarded with two pairs of Borrelli pants--flat front off-white fine wale cords and a sort of olive tweed with two inch cuffs ($5.49 each).

Very little is going on these days. Like Nataku I'm seeing a whole lot less stuff out on the floor, especially at the big stores. Goodwill and SA have probably cut their floor inventory in half over the past year. Even though times are tough I suspect some major skimming is going on. The only bright spots for me are some of the smaller more independent stores with stable personnel and unpredictable schedules for putting stuff out. The main Goodwill store here in SF is especially grim in the morning as ebay flippers pace hungrily in front of the stock room door waiting for new things to keep them alive. I mostly skip that scene now. Too depressing. But I'm a dilettante.

vinasity

Reaction score
Found a couple of ties recently, they were $2 each black one is unknown brand, purplish one is Altea and the blue and gold one is Fabio Toma. Does anyone out there know anything about Fabio Toma because I cant really find anything about the brand online.

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8755.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Don't know about Fabio Toma, but the floral looks like it could be a Duchamp.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to be very nice. Looks like it's self-tipped too. "The Fabio Toma is a firm in continuous expansion. From 1988 we are present on the market that sees us protagonists of a growth without never stopping us. A growth that has conquered the trust and the attention in every part of the world. A young and fast firm, that understands the transformations of the fashion, always in evolution, that captures the attention of the public with taste. To develop new tendencies, is an assignment that succeeds us very well. Year after year they show it the innumerable introduced collections. Collections, that always find a greater consent and more and more suitable to the taste of the public. From this year with ours great satisfaction we are official suppliers of the Senate of the Italian Republic and from 2 years by now we also supply the ci ty of the Vatican. A lot of they are our innovations, the last one is the creation of a ceremony line that dress the bridegroom from the suit to the shoes. A growth that is born from the control on the quality, from the handicraft finishing touch and from the attention that every day we put in to do well in our job of artisans." From their website: http://www.fabiotoma.com/webrelease_2009/09_Azienda.htm
Originally Posted by pejsek
A couple of stops later my patience was rewarded with two pairs of Borrelli pants--flat front off-white fine wale cords and a sort of olive tweed with two inch cuffs ($5.49 each).
Awesome, at least you found some stuff to make the trip worthwhile!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Passed on a superb pair of bespoke ladies golf shoes from Henry Maxwell--white suede with a navy wing cap, a product of the Dover St years; as usual the punching was completely assured and perfectly executed. I don't think anyone (possibly excepting Koji Suzuki) does brogueing on this level anymore. Anyway, I have too many bespoke shoes I can't wear and I don't know any women who golf who would be into this kind of thing. A gift of two-toned vintage golf shoes could be so easily misunderstood. So I left them on the shelf along with a pair of pointy-toed Lambertson-Truex white bucks (nice suede but already becoming unglued). A couple of stops later my patience was rewarded with two pairs of Borrelli pants--flat front off-white fine wale cords and a sort of olive tweed with two inch cuffs ($5.49 each). Very little is going on these days. Like Nataku I'm seeing a whole lot less stuff out on the floor, especially at the big stores. Goodwill and SA have probably cut their floor inventory in half over the past year. Even though times are tough I suspect some major skimming is going on. The only bright spots for me are some of the smaller more independent stores with stable personnel and unpredictable schedules for putting stuff out. The main Goodwill store here in SF is especially grim in the morning as ebay flippers pace hungrily in front of the stock room door waiting for new things to keep them alive. I mostly skip that scene now. Too depressing. But I'm a dilettante.
Nice score on the Borrelli pants. I found 4 pairs at one stop several months ago and they are among my favorite trousers. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I'm seeing the opposite. The stores I go to are packed with donations... trouble is, it's mostly crap. I haven't picked up anything hardly. It's getting to the point where I don't even bother with the clothes anymore, and head straight to the electronics, music/books, housewares. I've just lost patience with scouring through mounds of junk. I try to keep telling myself it's worth it as there's sure to be treasure in there. But I haven't hit paydirt lately to rekindle the drive. That said, the other day I found a great pair of charcoal flannel Black Fleece trousers ($7) and a nice Brioni shirt ($10). But still, that's all I've found for clothes in the last couple weeks in spite of heavy thrifting.... But, I did make a super score of another kind. I stumbled across what must have been someone's entire jazz cassette collection. I found 82 classic jazz albums on cassette, mostly 'blue note' and 'classic series jazz' albums. I think there were even more that I didn't get to because the store was closing. Tapes are usually $.50 at this store, but I talked them into only charging me for 50 of them. So I got 82 great jazz albums for $25. Artists like Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Grant Green, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey, Thelonius, Johnny Griffin, Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, etc. etc. Just an outstanding collection. And so far, they're all sounding magnificent on that Nakamichi cassette deck I thrifed about a month ago... BTW, if those ladies golf shoes are a size 7, would you proxy for me? I'm trying to get my wife into the game...

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
It looks to be very nice. Looks like it's self-tipped too.

"The Fabio Toma is a firm in continuous expansion.

From 1988 we are present on the market that sees us protagonists of a growth without never stopping us. A growth that has conquered the trust and the attention in every part of the world.

A young and fast firm, that understands the transformations of the fashion, always in evolution, that captures the attention of the public with taste.

To develop new tendencies, is an assignment that succeeds us very well. Year after year they show it the innumerable introduced collections.

Collections, that always find a greater consent and more and more suitable to the taste of the public.

From this year with ours great satisfaction we are official suppliers of the Senate of the Italian Republic and from 2 years by now we also supply the ci ty of the Vatican.

A lot of they are our innovations, the last one is the creation of a ceremony line that dress the bridegroom from the suit to the shoes. A growth that is born from the control on the quality, from the handicraft finishing touch and from the attention that every day we put in to do well in our job of artisans."

From their website:

http://www.fabiotoma.com/webrelease_2009/09_Azienda.htm

Awesome, at least you found some stuff to make the trip worthwhile!

Cool! Thanks Nataku

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt

BTW, if those ladies golf shoes are a size 7, would you proxy for me? I'm trying to get my wife into the game...

Well, that was another thing. They looked to be on the larger side, maybe s.thing like a 9.5. Really great looking, though.

Nice score on the cassettes. I draw a line for myself at obsolete audio technology, probably because I actually find the thought of running, say, a reel to reel deck pretty cool. But there's only so much time and so much space. Of course I don't consider the turntable obsolete. Lots of great titles are available only in formats other than cd and dvd.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC

This breast pocket blows me away. Is anyone familiar with this design?

img2024r.jpg

Alan, I believe this is called a besom pocket, however I have only seen this on the lower pockets, never a breast pocket. Thats pretty cool there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads