• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
It has been a little slow here lately too. Loads and loads of junk. I'm just glad they don't know how to price stuff here. I walk through the isles and they've got dockers sweaters anywhere from $8-15, and then I find something like the Pringle below for $2.99. The same with sportcoats & suits... they'll have a Haggar for $6.99 and I pickup the Dunn for $2.99. They have a recent Burberry navy pinstripe i'm thinking about grabbing for $15. Burberry is about as good as we get for suits here most of the time.

I had a nice laugh at the Value Village today. They had a 80's Christian Dior black raincoat priced at $179.99.
bounce2.gif

Here's what I came away with today -

Pringle of scotland 100% cashmere grey v-neck

Vintage CC Filson for Eddie Bauer bush jacket

Vintage Dunn & Co Harris Tweed sportcoat

$12

I also picked up a Korchmar made in USA triple gusset briefcase with buckle straps, that looks alot like Filson's Leather Field Satchel. It is heavy duty bridle leather like the Filson bag. It has a firm's name on it in gold letter(3" across) but I intend to try to obscure it somehow... maybe a leather patch over it. Any ideas?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, that was another thing. They looked to be on the larger side, maybe s.thing like a 9.5. Really great looking, though.

Nice score on the cassettes. I draw a line for myself at obsolete audio technology, probably because I actually find the thought of running, say, a reel to reel deck pretty cool. But there's only so much time and so much space. Of course I don't consider the turntable obsolete. Lots of great titles are available only in formats other than cd and dvd.

Have you come across reel to reel stuff? I've never seen that. I know what you mean about that being cool and all but.... but r to r is a whole other level... it's like ham radio, really a hobby. But I personally don't think cassettes are totally obsolete. They still make tapes and tape players, and as far as sound is concerned I think tapes can sound better than CD's if you have quality equipment. That said, I don't see cassettes making the kind of comback that LP's did, but as you said, there are some albums out there that you're just not going to find on any other medium. I've had boxes of tapes just sitting in the closet for many years now, and I've been able to get back into them after finding that cassette deck. So maybe my current infatuation will settle down, but for the time being I'm diggin' some great music.

illeagle

Reaction score
Went to the Salvation Army yesterday for a quick browse through and picked up a 100% Loro Piana cashmere overcoat and a nice waxed cotton jacket by Paul Stuart.. I also found a cashmere blend J Crew dress but I figure that's of little interest here
wink.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Alan, I believe this is called a besom pocket, however I have only seen this on the lower pockets, never a breast pocket. Thats pretty cool there.
In the 60s and 70s, they were a slightly daring touch, especially along with the hacking pockets. The problem is that when you start with a loosely woven material like that scottish shetland, the pocket sags. So always remember to stuff a PS in. Should not be a problem for an OG iGent like AlanC.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Has anyone else noticed the lack of the usual tax write-off donation/merchandise spike this year?
Hope things pick up soon....

I have been stunned by the lack of merchandise in the stores. My guess would be, down 35 to 50% around here. Even the bigger stores that aggressively solicit donations are low.

I did find a NWOT Drakes tie in a floral print (my first). Love it!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Can we see a pic of the coat? It sounds intriguing.
For you and AlanC who had expressed interest in my 12/6 DB:
IMG_2791.jpg
I do have the missing button. I keep thinking of the line from QUADROPHENIA: "tight, buttoned up, know what they're showing."

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I have been stunned by the lack of merchandise in the stores. My guess would be, down 35 to 50% around here. Even the bigger stores that aggressively solicit donations are low.
Yeah, I don't have any small hole-in-the-wall thrifts around here, so all the ones I visit are large chain thrifts. I was a bit shocked that the big players were so short on merchandise/stock out on the floor. On the bright side, I did find a, dare I say, NWOT Canali Proposta Navy pinstripe flannel suit today. All pockets are opened, but it looked like it was never worn. SB, 3 button front, side vented, full canvass construction. Wool/cashmere blend. Very well-made. Inside the inner chest pocket was some spare material, some twill tape (for the trousers hem, I assume) and a business reply mail card with information about the store it was purchased at (Cedrics, used to be a high-end men's clothier in the Galleria Edina). Very recent. If I'm not mistaken, this may be MTM for Sami Dinar. Unfortunately, it's a US 48R. Any of you 48 guys want a suit?
biggrin.gif
Any info on their Proposta line? This seems a bit nicer than a lot of their mainline stuff I've come across. Pics:
DSC08708.jpg
DSC08712.jpg
DSC08709.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Have you come across reel to reel stuff? I've never seen that. I know what you mean about that being cool and all but.... but r to r is a whole other level... it's like ham radio, really a hobby. But I personally don't think cassettes are totally obsolete. They still make tapes and tape players, and as far as sound is concerned I think tapes can sound better than CD's if you have quality equipment. That said, I don't see cassettes making the kind of comback that LP's did, but as you said, there are some albums out there that you're just not going to find on any other medium. I've had boxes of tapes just sitting in the closet for many years now, and I've been able to get back into them after finding that cassette deck. So maybe my current infatuation will settle down, but for the time being I'm diggin' some great music.
Reel to reel tape is a whole other sonic level from cassette tape.

NachoBroadway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
Went to the Salvation Army yesterday for a quick browse through and picked up a 100% Loro Piana cashmere overcoat and a nice waxed cotton jacket by Paul Stuart.. I also found a cashmere blend J Crew dress but I figure that's of little interest here
wink.gif

Paul Stuart jacket looks fantastic!
Nothing good in NJ, shoe racks are barren, suits huge, never find a decent tie, did pickup a Purple Label cuffed dress shirt for $6

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I've come across some reel to reel stuff over the years. It's rare, though. Amazing luck though, I found two Pioneer RT-909 reel-to-reel decks within a year once. Both from the same store. That was '07, IIRC. One was $75 (non-working) and one was $100 (worked flawlessly). I kept them around for a year or two and finally sold both, the working one for $750 and the non-working one for $400-something. I wish I would have held onto them, but finding reel-to-reel tapes is so damn hard! I found one within the time period that I had them. As for cassettes, I do like them for the car. Only albums that I like most of the songs on, though. It's a pain-in-the-ass to skip tracks on those! There are some cool obscurities I've found on cassette though, like Womb's self-titled, The Fool's self-titled and I found what appeared to be a demo tape for the late 60's psych rock band C.A. Quintet. It was on an ancient Scotch by 3M cassette. They were from Minnesota and their lone album, "A Trip Through Hell" brings in major $$$ for original pressings. Less than 500 copies of this LP were sold. All those tapes were scored at the same yard sale in '05 along with a bunch of other cool early cassettes (a lot in the solid plastic Ampex cases).

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went thrifting today for the first time in ages. Didn't find anything. However, I did recently buy an alpaca sweater off of ebay from Bullock and Jones. It's kinda scratchy. I though alpaca was supposed to be soft?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I picked up a Canali tie (first Canali thrift find) and two unsual ties labled "Shirtmakers" and they are made in Italy. Not familiar with the brand, but they looked brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members