• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dispute
You can let me know. I am from Perth
biggrin.gif

Hey, Im also from Perth. I found a 54r Brioni blazer in Fremantle Good Sammy, thats probably the best thing Ive found so far, pitty its a few sizes to big (38r) !!

emptym

Reaction score
^No, I didn't. They weren't my size. One had a pretty bad urine stain in the crotch, and another had a few holes in it. Beautiful fabric and workmanship though.

I did get a nice shirt, sweater, old tweed H Freeman suit, and some pants though.

sfnewbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
One had a pretty bad urine stain in the crotch
hahaha sick. Although I know some of these brands aren't the most loved on here, but they're good for my standards.
  • 3 express button up shirts - $1.50 each
  • gap peacoat - $10
  • Calvin Klein sportcoat - $3.00 (perfect fit)
  • Joseph Abboud shirts (1 t-shirt, 2 polos, 1 long sleeve polo) for $1-$2 each
  • A pair of Abboud cotton/wool pants with very nice colors and pattern - $15
  • RL green label button up shirt - $2
  • 3 XMI ties - $3 each
  • Banana Republic khakis - $3
  • Express wool sweater - $3
I also picked up another sweater of a brand I've never heard. I'm at work and I don't remember what it was, so I'll post it up later and see if anyone's heard of it. But it was BNWT and it had a retail price of around $130 and I picked it up for $2. I looked through at least 100 suits and couldn't find anything of value that would fit (even with some alteration). I also haven't found a single pair of decent shoes...in any size. Oh, I also picked up a very nice herringbone sportcoat for my son-to be! hahaha He's due in 3 weeks, so I've been picking up some items here and there for him. Any idea where to pick up some newborn ties?

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Polo Blazer - $15.00
Brooks Brothers tie - $2.00
Grey Bespoke Suit (perfect fit) - $10.00
Navy w/ White Stripes Bespoke (need to lengthen pants a bit) - $12.00

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, it's been more about what I haven't gotten rather than what I've purchased... seems as though I am going through a dry spell here right now. Hopefully, with season change around the corner, my luck will start to pick up again.
I have seen TONS of Zegna shirts, a few Brioni and Brioni Sportswear shirts. Commes des Garcon shirt that I should have picked up for ebay and a Bullock and Jones shirt and an RLPL polo that was two sizes too big.
I passed on a Harris Tweed jacket earlier this week but I've been thinking about it and may go back tomorrow and buy it (hopefully it will still be there). It fit well enough, it's just that it was a very heavy wool and not really appropriate for south Florida weather.
I passed on a red Brioni tie that was ugly. I found a Stefano Ricci tie that I like enough that I actually pulled it off the rack and was walking around with it intending to buy it. Upon closer inspection, I found a stain on the front blade and I promptly returned the tie to it's place on the tie rack.

That is my August and September report thus far...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I have seen TONS of Zegna shirts, a few Brioni and Brioni Sportswear shirts. Commes des Garcon shirt that I should have picked up for ebay and a Bullock and Jones shirt and an RLPL polo that was two sizes too big.
Damn - I love Zegna stuff and whenever I see something that's not terribly dated and or ugly, I'll grab it if it's cheap enough. I'd love to come across some Brioni now and then too.. My dry spell is still ongoing. All I've come across are dated polyester sportcoats, well-worn DKNY suits and tons of George, Apt. 9 and Geoffrey Beene shirts. I'm hoping things pick up soon, this is depressing....

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Found a Frette white Egyptian cotton bathrobe, made in Turkey...looks new. Very thick, plush and luxurious...I think I'll have to remodel my bathroom, which now seems oh-so-dÃ
00a9.png
classÃ
00a9.png
in comparison...

AC7

Reaction score
Ok I picked up a really beautiful charcoal blazer at marshall's today, but it's confusing me. The tag sewn into the collar says DKNY, while the tag on the inside breast says Izod. Do both companies make their stuff in the same factory and a worker got confused or something? Any ideas?

Also I saw another blazer that I liked but never heard of the company, Marconi. Is this an actual brand or just a fly-by-night line that picked a fake Italian name to sound cool?

misterbowles

Reaction score
Came across this Gieves & Hawkes navy pinstripe suit today at a hospital thrift store... Must have belonged to a sartorially savvy doctor. Definitely RTW, but not sure of the vintage, even though the styling is quite contemporary. Slightly heavy flannel two button, double-vented, flat-front/plain finished trousers, with an average gorge, button stance, and lapel width. I'm an off the rack 44R, and this suit is labeled 48L; but the the shoulders fit perfectly, and the skirt length is fine. But, the sides of the jacket will need to be taken in, the sleeves taken up, and the waist and seat of the trousers brought in. For $15, $100 or so in alterations is still a steal...

Anyone familiar with these labels? I don't know if it's a Chester Barrie-made suit, or done by another contractor for G&H.

GH-Full.jpg

GH-Label.jpg

GH-Neck-Tag.jpg

GH-Shoulder.jpg

GH-Fabric.jpg

Nashville

Reaction score
If you change your mind about the alterations sell it to me , thats my size!!
bounce2.gif

misterbowles

Reaction score
LOL. I would, but the shoulders are just right. My tailor and I can make this baby work for me... It's beautiful.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by misterbowles
Came across this Gieves & Hawkes navy pinstripe suit today at a hospital thrift store... Must have belonged to a sartorially savvy doctor. Definitely RTW, but not sure of the vintage, even though the styling is quite contemporary. Slightly heavy flannel two button, double-vented, flat-front/plain finished trousers, with an average gorge, button stance, and lapel width. I'm an off the rack 44R, and this suit is labeled 48L; but the the shoulders fit perfectly, and the skirt length is fine. But, the sides of the jacket will need to be taken in, the sleeves taken up, and the waist and seat of the trousers brought in. For $15, $100 or so in alterations is still a steal...

Anyone familiar with these labels? I don't know if it's a Chester Barrie-made suit, or done by another contractor for G&H.

GH-Full.jpg

GH-Label.jpg

GH-Neck-Tag.jpg

GH-Shoulder.jpg

GH-Fabric.jpg

Careful about taking in 2 full sizes plus 48L is big...

misterbowles

Reaction score
I know, but it fits more like a 46, and the shoulders are just about perfect, so it shouldn't be a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads