• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since "thrift hunting" up here in NH can at best net you some moths, I've resigned myself to bin diving and rack riding in Filene's Basement and Syms. Swung by Syms today and found 3 solid shirts in 18.5/36 or XXL.

Robert Jones button down checkpattern for $59
Ike Behar XXL for $39
Burberry White Pinpoint Oxford button down 18.5/36 $39!!

BurberryShirt.jpg

During my stop in at the FB in Northshore Mall (Peabody, MA) found Brioni socks for $9.99 but S and XL only
frown.gif

mbell

Reaction score
I found about 6 or 7 Canali shirts for $3 each but unfortunately most of them were badly worn. One had some thread pulls and minor stains that might have been remedied, but I passed. The one pictured below was in excellent condition. The price tag was stapled through the collar stay. I also got the Pink shirt for $3.

shirts.jpg

I also found some Zanella Joe model pants for $4. I've never seen that model before. They look to be very recent.

I'm pretty sure these are dress studs, but I have never seen anything like this before. A pair snap together back to back. I think they could possibly function as cuff links, but they seem too small for that. I might give it a try. They are vintage Swank and came with what appears to be the original box. $4. The lady at the store asked me what they were.
swank1.jpg
swank2.jpg

This is the silk and linen Zegna jacket I reported on earlier. Originally $1300, I got it for $211 at NM Last Call Outlet. It has zippered pockets on the inside, a pocket that looks intended for a cell phone and other pocket for a pen.
zegnajacket.jpg

zegnadetail.jpg

mike

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
Someone dropped a bunch of Brooks Brothers jackets at my local thrift. I picked up a nice BB camel hair jacket for $5.99. Anyone know when Brooks stopped doing 2 button cuffs?

My guess is early 70s.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
I'm pretty sure these are dress studs, but I have never seen anything like this before. A pair snap together back to back. I think they could possibly function as cuff links, but they seem too small for that. I might give it a try. They are vintage Swank and came with what appears to be the original box. $4. The lady at the store asked me what they were.
swank1.jpg
swank2.jpg

mike

Mike, that's a nice pair of vintage snap cufflinks you've got there! I have a few pairs but they seem to be mainly a US thing, so one doesn't see many pairs over here.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
swank1.jpg
swank2.jpg

They are snap cufflinks, which was a common vintage design. Those look very nice. To separate, snap down like breaking a bean rather than pulling apart along a straight line.

Do an ebay search for snap cufflinks or 'Kum-a-part' and you can see lots of them.

Edit: Anthony, you beat me to the punch!

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
They are snap cufflinks, which was a common vintage design. Those look very nice. To separate, snap down like breaking a bean rather than pulling apart along a straight line.

Do an ebay search for snap cufflinks or 'Kum-a-part' and you can see lots of them.

Edit: Anthony, you beat me to the punch!

Thanks to both of you for the information. It does make more sense that they would be cuff links, even if they are on the small side. Any idea when they might have been made? I can take a picture of the box if that helps any.

I wonder if I could still use them as studs? Or would that be really bad form? I guess they may not look right with that line across them. Probably couldn't keep them even with each other. I have no black tie events in the foreseeable future anyway.

mike

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up BB suit in a navy glenplaid. I think it's MTM but fits me perfectly. Does anyone know if they had a mtm back in 98? Also, picked up a really nice made in Ireland Abercrombie and fitch cotton sweater and some nice wool tartan ties.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah though we're displaced due to the hurricane, I've still managed a couple of good finds: at the New Braunfels Ross, I found a pair of gray/green NWT Costume National trousers for $1.49. At the Marshall's, I found a light blue glen check Polo pocket square for $7. No pics, though.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the information. It does make more sense that they would be cuff links, even if they are on the small side. Any idea when they might have been made? I can take a picture of the box if that helps any.

I'd guess 30's-40's, likely '35-'45, but it's hard to pin down. A pic of the box would be interesting. It's possible they could be earlier, but I don't think the Swank name was used very early.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally scored big on Ebay....
2 pairs of Campanile monks, basically new, perhaps worn once.
Each pair was $34.99.
One pair is black, the other brown.....

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
I finally scored big on Ebay....
2 pairs of Campanile monks, basically new, perhaps worn once.
Each pair was $34.99.
One pair is black, the other brown.....

Nice, pictures later?

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Yeah though we're displaced due to the hurricane, I've still managed a couple of good finds: at the New Braunfels Ross, I found a pair of gray/green NWT Costume National trousers for $1.49. At the Marshall's, I found a light blue glen check Polo pocket square for $7. No pics, though.

So little old New Braunfels gets that kind of stuff and up the road in the big city we get Perry Ellis, Claiborne, etc. Go figure. Oh well. I wonder if they are getting castoffs from the outlet stores in San Marcos? I will have to try to stop in next time I am down that way, but that is not often.

Hope you are doing OK, all things considered. I am just up the road. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads