• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the field, custom tailored suit for lou miles. DB, feels a bit thin, working cuffs, dual vented, looks like there's a bit of handwork but I don't know how to look for certain. Good kop?

Cant speak for the pros here on styleforum but unless its a major name double breasted suits are just not that popular. My most recent experience was a olive Canali suit...was not a popular item!

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doomsticks

Reaction score
I did it! I've read through 4000+ pages now, and wow, its been a very interesting read. Its kinda strange so speed through a few years of community communication like this, a strange voyeuristic feeling reading through it all, "getting to know" the people I read about. People thrifting enough for a ferrari, or to pay off their studentloans or just thrifting a billion pieces of Yohji Yamamoto, its all very inspiring, a humbling experience.
Oh well! Im a Swede, I thrift all the time, spending every tuesdaymorning infront of the closest thriftstore, queueing hoping for some awesome finds (and theres been a few, the place seems to attract C&J). Im a student for about 20 more days, then I graduate becoming a teacher (luckily my newly aquired workplace is very close to my favorite thriftstores, hello lunchbreaks!). This thread has totally ruined me, im in desperate need of a suit at the moment, but the combination of being poor, the knowledge this thread has given me and Sweden being hell when it comes to thrifting suits, well, I guess ill have to go retail... Just after I rob a bank.

Edit: Oh, and my avatar.. well its just a portrait one of my students made of me.. She's six. Best portrait ever.

Oh well, I guess I have to brag abit too. Last two weeks has been quite ok, I rarely find shoes my size, but this last few weeks has been great, here are the highlights:

Common Projects:

OOOh and another pair of Common projects

A pair of Sanders penny loafers, my girlfriend openly hopes her dog will pee on them

Clarks desert boots in a...boot version?

Perfect vintage backpack in thick canvas and leather. My new best friend

An old lady sold this to me for 0.9$ on a fleamarket.. Real as far as I can tell from the experience I have with Hermés scarfs (Ive found a few before) but sadly theres lipstick on it,
Any ideas of how to remove?

Well those are the highlights,Ive also picked up a pair of beater Comme des garcons converse (also my size!) several paisley GANT ties, Found a few canali shirts for my neighbour, fit him exept for his bullneck... I guess I'll try to flip em on the swedish equivalent of Ebay.. If theres no swedish lurkers around:) (40 - 15½)

And well, My first post! Happy to be here, I need a outlet, none of my friends understand me:(

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it! I've read through 4000+ pages now, and wow, its been a very interesting read. Its kinda strange so speed through a few years of community communication like this, a strange voyeuristic feeling reading through it all, "getting to know" the people I read about. People thrifting enough for a ferrari, or to pay off their studentloans or just thrifting a billion pieces of Yohji Yamamoto, its all very inspiring, a humbling experience.
Oh well! Im a Swede, I thrift all the time, spending every tuesdaymorning infront of the closest thriftstore, queueing hoping for some awesome finds (and theres been a few, the place seems to attract C&J). Im a student for about 20 more days, then I graduate becoming a teacher (luckily my newly aquired workplace is very close to my favorite thriftstores, hello lunchbreaks!). This thread has totally ruined me, im in desperate need of a suit at the moment, but the combination of being poor, the knowledge this thread has given me and Sweden being hell when it comes to thrifting suits, well, I guess ill have to go retail... Just after I rob a bank.

Edit: Oh, and my avatar.. well its just a portrait one of my students made of me.. She's six. Best portrait ever.

Oh well, I guess I have to brag abit too. Last two weeks has been quite ok, I rarely find shoes my size, but this last few weeks has been great, here are the highlights:

Common Projects:

OOOh and another pair of Common projects

A pair of Sanders penny loafers, my girlfriend openly hopes her dog will pee on them

Clarks desert boots in a...boot version?

Perfect vintage backpack in thick canvas and leather. My new best friend

An old lady sold this to me for 0.9$ on a fleamarket.. Real as far as I can tell from the experience I have with Hermés scarfs (Ive found a few before) but sadly theres lipstick on it,
Any ideas of how to remove?

Well those are the highlights,Ive also picked up a pair of beater Comme des garcons converse (also my size!) several paisley GANT ties, Found a few canali shirts for my neighbour, fit him exept for his bullneck... I guess I'll try to flip em on the swedish equivalent of Ebay.. If theres no swedish lurkers around:) (40 - 15½)

And well, My first post! Happy to be here, I need a outlet, none of my friends understand me:(
Very nice first post and welcome to the thread. Way to go reading the entire thing before posting, that takes massive dedication! As for lipstick on a silk scarf you can try this method:

Tape
Why pay an expensive dry-cleaning bill to remove a lipstick spot from a silk scarf or dress when you can do it yourself for free? Just place a piece of transparent tape (or masking tape) over the spot and yank it off. If you can still see some of the lipstick color, sprinkle on some talcum powder or chalk and dab until the powder and the remaining lipstick disappear

If that doesn't work, I think you will have to take it to a dry cleaner and hope for the best.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I did it! I've read through 4000+ pages now, and wow, its been a very interesting read. Its kinda strange so speed through a few years of community communication like this, a strange voyeuristic feeling reading through it all, "getting to know" the people I read about. People thrifting enough for a ferrari, or to pay off their studentloans or just thrifting a billion pieces of Yohji Yamamoto, its all very inspiring, a humbling experience. Oh well! Im a Swede, I thrift all the time, spending every tuesdaymorning infront of the closest thriftstore, queueing hoping for some awesome finds (and theres been a few, the place seems to attract C&J). Im a student for about 20 more days, then I graduate becoming a teacher (luckily my newly aquired workplace is very close to my favorite thriftstores, hello lunchbreaks!). This thread has totally ruined me, im in desperate need of a suit at the moment, but the combination of being poor, the knowledge this thread has given me and Sweden being hell when it comes to thrifting suits, well, I guess ill have to go retail... Just after I rob a bank. Edit: Oh, and my avatar.. well its just a portrait one of my students made of me.. She's six. Best portrait ever. Oh well, I guess I have to brag abit too. Last two weeks has been quite ok, I rarely find shoes my size, but this last few weeks has been great, here are the highlights:
Common Projects: OOOh and another pair of Common projects A pair of Sanders penny loafers, my girlfriend openly hopes her dog will pee on them Clarks desert boots in a...boot version? Perfect vintage backpack in thick canvas and leather. My new best friend [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] An old lady sold this to me for 0.9$ on a fleamarket.. Real as far as I can tell from the experience I have with Hermés scarfs (Ive found a few before) but sadly theres lipstick on it, Any ideas of how to remove? [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Well those are the highlights,Ive also picked up a pair of beater Comme des garcons converse (also my size!) several paisley GANT ties, Found a few canali shirts for my neighbour, fit him exept for his bullneck... I guess I'll try to flip em on the swedish equivalent of Ebay.. If theres no swedish lurkers around:) (40 - 15½) And well, My first post! Happy to be here, I need a outlet, none of my friends understand me:(
Welcome! There is another Swede regular... @OliT. Maybe you two could set up trades? I'm willing to trade within Europe as well. Shipping puts a damper on sending things to the US. As far as the lipstick goes: if it's for you/your girlfriend, I'd just live with it. If you'd like to sell it, have the buyer live with it. It shouldn't kill resale value, especially at the price you paid. Drycleaning often (though I suppose not always) makes the ink run. Maybe it depends on the cleaner, but they don't look great afterwards I think.

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did it! I've read through 4000+ pages now, and wow, its been a very interesting read. Its kinda strange so speed through a few years of community communication like this, a strange voyeuristic feeling reading through it all, "getting to know" the people I read about. People thrifting enough for a ferrari, or to pay off their studentloans or just thrifting a billion pieces of Yohji Yamamoto, its all very inspiring, a humbling experience. Oh well! Im a Swede, I thrift all the time, spending every tuesdaymorning infront of the closest thriftstore, queueing hoping for some awesome finds (and theres been a few, the place seems to attract C&J). Im a student for about 20 more days, then I graduate becoming a teacher (luckily my newly aquired workplace is very close to my favorite thriftstores, hello lunchbreaks!). This thread has totally ruined me, im in desperate need of a suit at the moment, but the combination of being poor, the knowledge this thread has given me and Sweden being hell when it comes to thrifting suits, well, I guess ill have to go retail... Just after I rob a bank. Edit: Oh, and my avatar.. well its just a portrait one of my students made of me.. She's six. Best portrait ever. Oh well, I guess I have to brag abit too. Last two weeks has been quite ok, I rarely find shoes my size, but this last few weeks has been great, here are the highlights: Common Projects: OOOh and another pair of Common projects A pair of Sanders penny loafers, my girlfriend openly hopes her dog will pee on them Clarks desert boots in a...boot version? Perfect vintage backpack in thick canvas and leather. My new best friend [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] An old lady sold this to me for 0.9$ on a fleamarket.. Real as far as I can tell from the experience I have with Hermés scarfs (Ive found a few before) but sadly theres lipstick on it, Any ideas of how to remove? [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] Well those are the highlights,Ive also picked up a pair of beater Comme des garcons converse (also my size!) several paisley GANT ties, Found a few canali shirts for my neighbour, fit him exept for his bullneck... I guess I'll try to flip em on the swedish equivalent of Ebay.. If theres no swedish lurkers around:) (40 - 15½) And well, My first post! Happy to be here, I need a outlet, none of my friends understand me:(
If noone understands your thrifting you have definitely come to the right place. Look forward to hearing about thrifting in Sweden. When I was there wandering through in the early 80s Swedish folk in the smaller towns were wearing clogs for work dress everything. Are clogs still popular there? I dont imagine you will be thrifting a pair to show anytime soon.

Doomsticks

Reaction score

Tape
Why pay an expensive dry-cleaning bill to remove a lipstick spot from a silk scarf or dress when you can do it yourself for free? Just place a piece of transparent tape (or masking tape) over the spot and yank it off. If you can still see some of the lipstick color, sprinkle on some talcum powder or chalk and dab until the powder and the remaining lipstick disappear

Welcome! There is another Swede regular... @OliT . Maybe you two could set up trades? I'm willing to trade within Europe as well. Shipping puts a damper on sending things to the US.

As far as the lipstick goes: if it's for you/your girlfriend, I'd just live with it. If you'd like to sell it, have the buyer live with it. It shouldn't kill resale value, especially at the price you paid. Drycleaning often (though I suppose not always) makes the ink run. Maybe it depends on the cleaner, but they don't look great afterwards I think.

Indeed, shipping is a *****..

Haha, I would love to see my gf wear it, she has a shaved head and a septumpiercing:)
Well I will probably sell it I guess, but I dont like selling stuff when its not in great condition, but I recon someone will buy Hermés anyway, the prices go all ridiculous around christmas.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Story time:

I had about 15 rushed minutes to pop into a shop. I go to this store every week, though I missed last week. I notice some new things hanging, so I begin. A few jackets ahead, I recognize the lining of a Brioni. I grab it and find another. And another. I hit a whole stream of really nice things, all the same size. This never happens to me as each store puts out 5-6 new jackets PER WEEK.

I'm thrilled to have found them (pics shortly): two silk, one wool. Silk are both cream colored, one stained. Anyway, I have a pile of stuff and the crazy 75 year old woman that runs this place comes back and says

"Oh, my man with taste! You found those I see."
Me: Yeah, they're nice.
Her: Yeah, they're from a nice store. Look, what's this brand?
Me: [Poker face] Brioni?
Her: Yes, Brioni! Nice, yeah? Hr. XXX just died last month and they all came from him. His family brought them.
Me: They're great. Do you have any more?
Her: Those are the last of them. We had all sorts of things, but that's what's left!

I went from:

to:

...in a matter of seconds. The old woman noticed and patted me on the back saying: "Oh it's okay, people donate clothes every week!"

I shouldn't be disappointed, but....I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads