• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PEEP GAME

^^^ FLAT FRONT :slayer: ^^^
~ TAGGED 44. TENTATIVELY AVAILABLE ~

WHAT CAN INTERWEBS DIVINE FROM THESE PHOTOS?

COME
TAKE A LOOK
THROUGH MY ROTO-SCOPE

.​

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a woman's thing... Doesn't look too exiting.

Yup. Below gratuitous opinions on kopping Pendleton:

If it's made for a woman, it's nearly always a pass. If it's made outside the U.S., it is virtually always a pass. If it is made of anything but wool, it is a pass.

Sir Pendleton shirts made in Mexico are worth picking up if they are south of $5 and flawless. I like them for myself, but the flip value is negligible--you'll make money, but not much, so long as you pay no more than $5. Ditto for Pendleton tweed sport coats. Overcoats are a pass. Pendleton blanket coats are worth picking up. The classic Pendleton wool shirt is, of course, always worth picking up providing no flaws. Same thing with vintage Pendleton shackets. Pendleton scarfs are worth picking up--I tend to find these in NWOT condition, I suspect because they were gifts that went unused. I am unsure about Pendleton bathrobes, but would pick one up for south of $10 and definitely if it was for myself. Pendleton blankets are almost always worth picking up, I think, even with minor flaws, although I have seen modern versions that suck, with thin wool that is obviously of inferior quality. If the blanket tag says Beaver State or Glacier, you should probably kop. Finally, be very careful with Pendleton. Moths love this brand, and so hold whatever it is up to the light and examine very carefully before you buy. A nice Pendleton shirt can fetch $20 or so; that same shirt with a moth hole is worth nothing.

Last edited:

JL3212

Reaction score
Yup. Below gratuitous opinions on kopping Pendleton:
If it's made for a woman, it's nearly always a pass. If it's made outside the U.S., it is virtually always a pass. If it is made of anything but wool, it is a pass.

Sir Pendleton shirts made in Mexico are worth picking up if they are south of $5 and flawless. I like them for myself, but the flip value is negligible--you'll make money, but not much, so long as you pay no more than $5. Ditto for Pendleton tweed sport coats. Overcoats are a pass. Pendleton blanket coats are worth picking up. The classic Pendleton wool shirt is, of course, always worth picking up providing no flaws. Same thing with vintage Pendleton shackets. Pendleton scarfs are worth picking up--I tend to find these in NWOT condition, I suspect because they were gifts that went unused. I am unsure about Pendleton bathrobes, but would pick one up for south of $10 and definitely if it was for myself. Pendleton blankets are almost always worth picking up, I think, even with minor flaws, although I have seen modern versions that suck, with thin wool that is obviously of inferior quality. If the blanket tag says Beaver State or Glacier, you should probably kop. Finally, be very careful with Pendleton. Moths love this brand, and so hold whatever it is up to the light and examine very carefully before you buy. A nice Pendleton shirt can fetch $20 or so; that same shirt with a moth hole is worth nothing.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much just Board Shirts for me...

Oh, come now. Scarves. Blankets. Blanket coats. Pendleton makes stuff worth buying, but also a lot of stuff that is not.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I went out today with the intention of trying to get in on the scavenger hunt in the last minute, but completely forgot to print the list/card. It was a bit depressing to go to my stores rather than LA or NYC, but still found some stuff. :D I normally do terrible with ties here, Vienna is much better, but did fine for a few stores.

Here is some of it...

Ties L to R: Hugo Boss Baldessarini 60/40 silk/cotton, Barba 6 fold, Canali wool

Is this something nice or common? Debated leaving it. CNC French cuff, mandarin collar shirt thing

Cool handrolled pocket square. Incredibly bright, but lots of colors to use. It's from Munich's Oktoberfest in 2009.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been super busy lately but also been thrifting a lot off. Have found a ton of cool stuff I will post about when I get photos done (NWOT Tellason John Graham Mellor, Current Isaia and Stefano Ricci shirts, Kiton, etc), but here's one super cool piece.I believe I found a Brioni custom made tuxedo jacket belonging to John Williams, the film score composer. It is blue with black satin lapels. Absolutely killed me as I couldn't find the pants anywhere, but found a crazy nice pair of black tuxedo pants that were likely a part of another tux he had donated and I stupidly did not buy.

What do you guys think?

Also, if you don't know who John Williams is, see here. I'm a big classical music fan so when I saw the name printed on the tag, I thought to myself "Oh God... I wonder if this belonged to THE John Williams..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

Photos are terrible, jacket looks black in the first but is actually blue. 

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, come now. Scarves. Blankets. Blanket coats. Pendleton makes stuff worth buying, but also a lot of stuff that is not.

I never find that stuff. I keep Board Shirts in my size, sell the rest. If I ever find a Lebowski sweater, I'll have a new Halloween costume...

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, if you don't know who John Williams is, see here. I'm a big classical music fan so when I saw the name printed on the tag, I thought to myself "Oh God... I wonder if this belonged to THE John Williams..."

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've been super busy lately but also been thrifting a lot off. Have found a ton of cool stuff I will post about when I get photos done (NWOT Tellason John Graham Mellor, Current Isaia and Stefano Ricci shirts, Kiton, etc), but here's one super cool piece.I believe I found a Brioni custom made tuxedo jacket belonging to John Williams, the film score composer. It is blue with black satin lapels. Absolutely killed me as I couldn't find the pants anywhere, but found a crazy nice pair of black tuxedo pants that were likely a part of another tux he had donated and I stupidly did not buy.

What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

Awesome find, if in fact it's THE John Williams!

I forgot to post this as it was with my other vacation photos, which I may also post:

Found a really well-made suit in LA (Santa Monica). No tags, so my first instinct was to go for the interior pocket. I assume due to location and the quality, that it's THE Matt Damon. I wanted to grab it for my own personal collection, but decided against it. I really would have liked to have put it on a mannequin in my eventual clothing museum, but it was a bit pricey and unconfirmed. That and I had to bribe the ticket counter when my luggage was already overweight.

Seriously, my bags were each 5 pounds too heavy and the guy said it would be $233/bag. I slid a $20 bill across the counter and told him that I could pay in cash. Voila! They were magically $100 each. :slayer:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also found this today. It's ancient, but the first I'd seen, so I bought it. Ebay says they're all over the place, cardigans being the most popular. Did I do okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads