• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today will be my first heavy thrifting day since March 8th. Already told the Mrs Cap'n I had the itch and was going to be home late. Gonna do both the Eastern and Northern loops in one day.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
:lurk:

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!

I'm looking for suggestions for what to include and am wondering what anyone else may be doing in a similar vein. These will be clothes that will hardly ever be worn again unless I'm caught overnight or somehow damage what I'm wearing during the day.

Keep in mind that I have a work dress code that consists of 3 button polo or black dress shirt and khaki or black pants. However, I want my bag to leave me ready for other situations outside of work as well.

I am loathe to take any of the "good stuff" out of my regular rotation so as I find more Bill's, J Press and Brooks Brothers khakis, the early Dockers D-1 and D-2 stuff will be finding its way into the bag. I have some larger, original cut BB dress shirts that I never wear anymore but would in a pinch so I'm thinking one in blue, one in white and one in a print of some sort would cover most situations. I'll also toss in one of my early black shirts that I thrifted before I gave in to real life and started buying JAB button downs at "buy one, get two more free."
Also, the following...
  • There will be assorted socks (stuffed into the shoes as shoe trees).
  • undergarments aplenty.
  • a couple of all around ties.
  • I have a pair of chestnut loafers that needed to come out of the rotation due to early overuse but are still serviceable for occasional wear.
  • I'll put a pair of black, split toe lace ups in as well.
  • Polo sneakers or maybe Converse hi top Chuck Taylors.
  • I have a tan JAB sportcoat that I won't mind rolling up and stuffing in as well.
  • Maybe a sweater.
  • Some shorts and swim trunks?

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?
51YqMKH-HvL._SX500_.jpg

Love the idea of a sartorial bailout bag.

It might be worth it to include a sewing kit and some buttons. Maybe also a Dopp kit?

It never hurts to have spare undies or socks!
For Klobber, definitely.

I am personally not a big fan of too much stuff in the car. I keep a basic pair of athletic shorts and shirt, but store them by my spare tire.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Onward! Opinions, please, Lady and Gents.

I thrifted this ballistic nylon Hartmann duffel a while back that I want to keep in the car and fill with emergency rations to meet any sartorial need. This puppy will be STUFFED to the bursting point!

I'm looking for suggestions for what to include and am wondering what anyone else may be doing in a similar vein. These will be clothes that will hardly ever be worn again unless I'm caught overnight or somehow damage what I'm wearing during the day.

Keep in mind that I have a work dress code that consists of 3 button polo or black dress shirt and khaki or black pants. However, I want my bag to leave me ready for other situations outside of work as well.

I am loathe to take any of the "good stuff" out of my regular rotation so as I find more Bill's, J Press and Brooks Brothers khakis, the early Dockers D-1 and D-2 stuff will be finding its way into the bag. I have some larger, original cut BB dress shirts that I never wear anymore but would in a pinch so I'm thinking one in blue, one in white and one in a print of some sort would cover most situations. I'll also toss in one of my early black shirts that I thrifted before I gave in to real life and started buying JAB button downs at "buy one, get two more free."
Also, the following...
  • There will be assorted socks (stuffed into the shoes as shoe trees).
  • undergarments aplenty.
  • a couple of all around ties.
  • I have a pair of chestnut loafers that needed to come out of the rotation due to early overuse but are still serviceable for occasional wear.
  • I'll put a pair of black, split toe lace ups in as well.
  • Polo sneakers or maybe Converse hi top Chuck Taylors.
  • I have a tan JAB sportcoat that I won't mind rolling up and stuffing in as well.
  • Maybe a sweater.
  • Some shorts and swim trunks?

Opinions? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Skip the tan sport coat. Just because you have one doesn't mean that's what's best for the emergency kit. Go with the tried-and-true navy blazer, which is much more versatile. The current model by Anderson Little is getting some good reviews, and it's impervious to wrinkles, or so they say. The non-iron BB button-down was a must-have on the campaign trail last year, or so said the NYT--it would be good if yours aren't must-iron.

Raist

Reaction score
Here's a few other things I picked up this week. I'm pretty new to thrifting so let me know if there's anything I should have left behind. Pictures taken on my phone. For some reason it added a reddish tint to some of the pics.

Brooks Brothers Irish Linen. These will be up for sale as they are not in my size. They're a 36/30.

Brooks Brothers Tweed Sports Coat

Oxxford Clothes Jacket

Hickey-Freeman Jacket. I also found one exactly like it in Grey, made for the same guy.

Robert Talbott Ties

Ferragamo Tie (pretty ugly but the first Ferragamo Tie I've found)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today will be my first heavy thrifting day since March 8th. Already told the Mrs Cap'n I had the itch and was going to be home late. Gonna do both the Eastern and Northern loops in one day.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bon chance!
lurker[1].gif

I'm out of town until late Sunday. Heading to San Diego for our friends' wedding. I'm looking forward to climbing Mount Palomar on my bike as well. I'll try to get a thrift fit at the top.

Garasaki

Reaction score

Hickey-Freeman Jacket. I also found one exactly like it in Grey, made for the same guy.

Question: when you find a suit that is creased/wrinkled like that, how do you get the creases out? If you have it dry cleaned and pressed, will that do it? Is it something you can tackle with an iron at home (I'd imagine not...)?

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: when you find a suit that is creased/wrinkled like that, how do you get the creases out? If you have it dry cleaned and pressed, will that do it? Is it something you can tackle with an iron at home (I'd imagine not...)?
I usually hang them a couple days, and then hit them with a steamer...wrinkles will usually fall out of wool

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

When you press a MOP button lightly to your lip, it will feel as cool as the other side of the pillow, even on the warmest day. A plastic button on a shirt that you left in the car overnight during the winter (don't ask!) doesn't even come close to the feeling.

Please, please, please, don't put anything from a thrift store on your lips without washing it first. Touching it to your cheek works just fine.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Please, please, please, don't put anything from a thrift store on your lips without washing it first. Touching it to your cheek works just fine.

I thought the lick test was the best way to tell. Didn't the thread come to a consensus that was the most accurate?
lol8[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get the wrinkles out with an iron at home.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual thrift fit today
Loro Piana linen shirt from Oocony :slayer:
Vintage Oxford wool letter man jacket, not sure if I posted this one before
Levis cords (not thrifted)
Pantherella socks
Florsheim Imperial saddle's

Edit: every time I wear this jacket, my wife ask me "which way to the quad?". :facepalm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads