• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1315.jpeg

Don't think I posted this one up, this was an old find. My neighbour from 3 streets away listed this on FB Marketplace. I'd walked past his house many a times but never said hi.

After a couple of messages I walked over, expecting it to be silver.. looked inside the band:

IMG_1321.jpeg

Pt950

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2267471

Don't think I posted this one up, this was an old find. My neighbour from 3 streets away listed this on FB Marketplace. I'd walked past his house many a times but never said hi.

After a couple of messages I walked over, expecting it to be silver.. looked inside the band:

View attachment 2267473

Pt950
Gotta be a heartbreaking story behind this.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool icon, paint on wood, looks old. Anyone recognize this here angel, or the script up top? I can't even tell if that is Cyrillic, or what. Maybe Greek or Russian.

The face, and really all of it is well done for a Byzantine style icon.

1000028869.jpg
1000028866.jpg
1000028867.jpg

Back side, holes look recent. Remnant label.
1000028870.jpg
1000028871.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool icon, paint on wood, looks old. Anyone recognize this here angel, or the script up top? I can't even tell if that is Cyrillic, or what. Maybe Greek or Russian.

The face, and really all of it is well done for a Byzantine style icon.

View attachment 2268751 View attachment 2268753 View attachment 2268755

Back side, holes look recent. Remnant label.
View attachment 2268757 View attachment 2268759

My Cyrillic is non-existant, and my knowledge of Eastern Orthodox icons is almost as bad, but I'd guess one of the archangels. Perhaps Gabriel? The first letter there translates to G.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Cyrillic is non-existant, and my knowledge of Eastern Orthodox icons is almost as bad, but I'd guess one of the archangels. Perhaps Gabriel? The first letter there translates to G.
I think you are correct on the ID, thanks. Or more precisely, I sent a picture to my BIL who is a Deacon, he also says it is Archangel Gabriel. Russian Cyrillic. Kind of fits, picked up from a local Polish engineers' estate.

I like it well enough, will make a nice wall hanger.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally

IMG_8565.jpeg
IMG_8570.jpeg
IMG_8571.jpeg
IMG_8575.jpeg

14A2E689-4C9E-4A1E-9B43-341946EB4C6F.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score