• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ethrifted this with the intention of flipping it, but the wife liked it and it is nice. Now I am torn because it is a nice casual spring/summer coral shade. Im sure others have dealt with this before.

View attachment 2134281 View attachment 2134283

I went through a phase of hoarding Hermes ties. I couldn't justify keeping them anymore so I sold them all off a while ago, but I think I'll start hoarding again this year.

Keep it. its nice.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speak of the devil..

screenshot_20240217_173501_gallery-jpg.2133979

And she's a US made too.

Gives me Little Kevin vibes

d1438193-07e9-4475-9391-cc6a628f11b8_text.gif

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually speaking of cashmere Brioni, here's a cross-posted picture of the one I found in December on its first outing on Valentines.

It is glorious.

b996d175-be45-47e5-a76a-e0ea87cfb268.jpeg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carhartt jackets are quickly becoming the: "If you have that you'll get followed around" type of item. That's why whenever I find one I grab a cart and bury it deep under a few Izod polos.

It's crazy. I don't even see them at the stores anymore, the kids are on top of it.

I see a fair amount of carhartt but I think only the older made in usa ones are worth money?

Anything Carhartt. I pulled a thrashed overseas-made Carhartt out of a dumpster back in the fall. Sold on the bay a couple months ago for $120 at auction.

Taking stuff from other shopper's carts is common practice or what? To quote the famous philosopher George Costanza "We are living in a society, we are supposed to act in a civilized way"

It's been going on for many years. I had a deadstock WWII frogskin camo coverall suit taken from my cart about 10-12 years ago. I think I had to run to the bathroom or something. Threw a bunch of random crap on top of it to hide it. I put the random stuff back, but had a few things I was actually interested in purchasing on top of it. Got to the checkout and starting putting things on the counter. Then noticed the lack of the camo coveralls. Live and learn. Now if I find a grail, I either have a deathgrip on it or I buy it right away and lock it in the car, then proceed to finish my shopping.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the majority of us are 40-42

I think so too

BTW: I'm putting feelers out for size 34 navy or charcoal suit for Da Boy (He got his mother's height or lack thereof). He's about to start interviewing for junior architect jobs (3rd job on his career path)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think so too

BTW: I'm putting feelers out for size 34 navy or charcoal suit for Da Boy (He got his mother's height or lack thereof). He's about to start interviewing for junior architect jobs (3rd job on his career path)

a surprisingly itinerant field .

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually speaking of cashmere Brioni, here's a cross-posted picture of the one I found in December on its first outing on Valentines.

It is glorious.

b996d175-be45-47e5-a76a-e0ea87cfb268-jpeg.2134417

Sweet. You look ready for the baccarat table.

Deets on the shirt

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Carhartt:

I don't know about where you live, but here in AZ every contractor I know wears Carhartt. And so do I, though only in my "contractor life". It's one of my many lives. You know how that goes . . .

Thrifters like us have the very best clothing for every part of our lives. I have outfits for contractor, auto mechanic, outdoorsman, skier, biker, runner, and everything in between up to corporate boardroom-level Kiton tailored clothing, with all the shoes and accessories. We don't have crap, we have the best stuff in every category. And for manly manly "beat it to sh1t stuff", Carhartt fits the bill. So I'm a fan. I wear Carhartt when I know it's going to get beat. It can take it.

With resale, the story is the same as always: their older stuff is highly collectible, the newer stuff less so, but certain current items still resell well. By which I mean, anything with duck cotton. Not typically huge money, but always sells, so it's classic fodder. The Chinese polyester crap doesn't do well at all, in my experience. So as long as your thrift isn't overpricing it (and you in turn) it will flip fast and reliably. A quick turn.

Cart aggression:

Thankfully that's not something that happens in the thrifts around here or I would get into far too many fist fights. But the one place that shows the very worst of "human" (lol) behavior is Nordstrom's "Last Chance". I think there is only one, down in Phoenix, but I have heard there might be another out east. Essentially, it's where Nordstrom returns go to die.

Back in the day (10-15 years ago), I made a killing there, kopping Gucci and Ferragamo shoes mostly (back in the days when we got $275+ on the flip). Occasional suits as well. But now it's all white label house brands like Calibrate and Vince, that don't have much resale value. So I no longer waste my time there.

But the point is that place was bonkers nutcase insane. When new carts were coming out, the security staff would block off the aisles with stanchions and crowd control belts, pushing everybody back behind them. Announcements on the PA would sound: "Aggressive shoppers will be removed from the store".

As soon as the staff opened the aisles back up there was a mad stampede, with everyone just grabbing everything they could find. Fracking insane.

It's the only place I've every shopped where people would routinely grab stuff out of your cart and sprint away before you could tackle them. Really happy they stopped having items worth reselling so I am spared the madness . . .

RFHansen

Reaction score
better believe i threw a t shirt over this guy as soon as it was in my cart -
View attachment 2134253
although surely any would be cart thieves would face terrible retribution from the ancestral spirits protecting it

late 19th/early 20th century african reliquary or effigy, carved wood wrapped in copper and brass.
the base broke and someone was like welp, toss it in the savers box! unbelievable
seems like a pretty variable market, from tourist tchotchkes to museum pieces but the details and patina on this one are promising. needs a good wipedown but i’m hesitant to clean it any more aggressively than that… anybody have experience with these?

When it comes antiques & collectibles, the best bet is to leave the patina. Just dust it off and let the rest be.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads