• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info! I wouldn’t have had a clue otherwise.

While on the subject of the Mocs, anyone have ideas on how to remove the white waxy coating on the leather? I tried some Bick4, and it didn’t seem to go a long way.

View attachment 1952059

The pair I found also had the white waxy coating. I treated it like I would shell cordovan that bloomed with buffing + a product like VSC that contains turpentine. For the buffing you could try a microfiber cloth or some scrap cotton (e.g., chino, denim, duck). FWIW the top moc in the pic looks fine.

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
I've been mulling over how fortunate we are as thrifters that we get to "try on" so much stuff. Case in point: these John Lobb Houghtons I picked up a few months back.

1683302387019.png

I have decided to keep these, well, at least for a while. Much as I loathe to sacrifice margin for sartorial enjoyment, now and again we have to keep something for a bit until we tire of it. Simply, they are ludicrously comfortable. Obviously, they weren't made for me, but they fit "like a glove".

As a multi-decade attender of conferences (many in Vegas), one of my criteria for footwear is what I call the "Strip Test". Can I walk the length (and back) of the Las Vegas Strip in these shoes/boots/flip-flops? And on first (or maybe second) wearing? FWIW early winners of that contest were Ferragamo Diegos/LP Open Walk, Wolverine Thousand Miles and Spenco flip flops. I think these oxfords will fall into the same category. But we shall see . . .

However, thinking about this put front and center the great sartorial gift we all share as thrifters: most people pay what by our standards is lunatic money for stuff that sometimes they will like, but quite often they won't. We, on the contrary, handle thousands of garments, shoes, accessories, and may have a better sense than almost anyone else of what REALLY works and what doesn't – where the value is and where it isn't. We get to try anything we want. Live with it for a while – does it stick? Does it live up to the hype?

So here's the question: of all the clothes/shoes/whatever you've thrifted, which ones actually ROCK so well you'll never let 'em go?

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
4608667C-424C-4840-8BC5-74131DD21D75.jpeg

taking a little bit of a gamble on these but I think the nostalgia of the only ever perfect season should be a strong enough sell

p sure left is the scene of the winning fg kick during the christmas day playoff game

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's the question: of all the clothes/shoes/whatever you've thrifted, which ones actually ROCK so well you'll never let 'em go?

Most of my AE shoes and Boots, Alden Boots, RRL jeans, Filson shirts jackets and luggage, a few Pendleton shirts, American Giant and Reigning Champ Hoodies, Rancourt natural CXL belt, B&L Rayban Clubmasters... And I'll probably die wrapped up in my 2 antique Pendleton blankets.

I enjoy things that are made of Leather, Cotton and Wool. They hold up over time and are very useful in my climate. Almost all of those items are made in the USA too.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Thoughts:

Quality speaks for itself.

There's many times where I'll be in a high-end clothing shop and handle some Tom Ford shoes, Gucci, etc.. That just feel like crap. $700-900+ shoes that are built like some Cole Haans from India, just with a buncha glitz and paint over the top to hide the cheap construction and materials.. and dont forget the big MADE IN ITALY front and center. They love that stamp. That stamp is basically a license to print money in today's hypeconomy.

I feel like if these highend couture makers were actually producing quality goods WORTH the high price tags the difference between them and the inexpensive fakes would be more apparent.
Reminds me of this Bedo's Tom Ford resole. He was not a fan of the construction quality.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been mulling over how fortunate we are as thrifters that we get to "try on" so much stuff. Case in point: these John Lobb Houghtons I picked up a few months back.

View attachment 1952315

I have decided to keep these, well, at least for a while. Much as I loathe to sacrifice margin for sartorial enjoyment, now and again we have to keep something for a bit until we tire of it. Simply, they are ludicrously comfortable. Obviously, they weren't made for me, but they fit "like a glove".

As a multi-decade attender of conferences (many in Vegas), one of my criteria for footwear is what I call the "Strip Test". Can I walk the length (and back) of the Las Vegas Strip in these shoes/boots/flip-flops? And on first (or maybe second) wearing? FWIW early winners of that contest were Ferragamo Diegos/LP Open Walk, Wolverine Thousand Miles and Spenco flip flops. I think these oxfords will fall into the same category. But we shall see . . .

However, thinking about this put front and center the great sartorial gift we all share as thrifters: most people pay what by our standards is lunatic money for stuff that sometimes they will like, but quite often they won't. We, on the contrary, handle thousands of garments, shoes, accessories, and may have a better sense than almost anyone else of what REALLY works and what doesn't – where the value is and where it isn't. We get to try anything we want. Live with it for a while – does it stick? Does it live up to the hype?

I have many as I mostly buy for personal, but one that I think works based on your lobbs would be my $11 Edward Green Dover.

1683331375687.png

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1952315

Those are derbies and not oxfords ;)
Anyway, I would have tried to get a paint/patina job made on those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads