• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thrifters in San Jose area ?

just dropped off about 30 pairs of dress shoes and mcw shoes. Brands range from: alden, ae, f and b, Gucci, Carmina.

I don’t have time to sell and these were in my storage unit for 3 years. All great to good shape.

no, I won’t hold. No,I won’t say where. Happy hunting

This reminds me of having the Karate Kid back after a bunch of years only to realize that Daniel is now the bad guy.

Last edited:

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s probably because if there was a thread regular nearby they would have preferred a legit hookup/sell instead of having to give it to a corporation and go hunting for them. Someone taking their time to go “find” them and coming up empty-handed because either a) someone beat them to them or b) store hasn’t even put them out or never does

I get that you probably didn’t have malicious intent with the post. But someone who is a regular thread contributor may have been willing to literally pick them up and/or pay a reasonable amount to you. By posting it in such manner someone who just consumes the thread knowledge but doesn’t contribute may now have new inventory. Haha

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL . anyways here is a thrift post :

IMGP6562.JPG
vintage british mill remnant , YARDS of vintage middleweight scottish mill tartans ( the trademark stamp puts these between 1920-1960) :inlove: , also the ekkkornnnes ottoman

namdaemun

Reaction score
Okay. That’s fair. I’m leaving for a trip on Saturday and time is money. Hence, why I gave a l SF member the oppty before donating these. If I knew any San Jose members other than @barrel (whom I texted) then i would’ve gladly offered.
Ask Nataku or bandit. I always offer them dibs.

Anyways, I technically still have these because I hit traffic and missed the drop off window.

With that said, if someone local wants these then pm me or we can meet when I am back from vacation

It’s probably because if there was a thread regular nearby they would have preferred a legit hookup/sell instead of having to give it to a corporation and go hunting for them. Someone taking their time to go “find” them and coming up empty-handed because either a) someone beat them to them or b) store hasn’t even put them out or never does

I get that you probably didn’t have malicious intent with the post. But someone who is a regular thread contributor may have been willing to literally pick them up and/or pay a reasonable amount to you. By posting it in such manner someone who just consumes the thread knowledge but doesn’t contribute may now have new inventory. Haha

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, gorgeous. So kop or no kop? Well . . .
This type of merch is always tricky to assess. One of my old mentors said "you don't make money when you sell it, you make money when you buy it", i.e. acquisition cost is king because it's variable where sales revenue is determined by the market. I've flipped a few of these NWT Cuci and they are invariably slow to move, usually because I want to try for $3500. As you all know, the higher price, the slower the time to sale, and I think my last NWT Cuci/shearling went out for 2X at $1600. But it took months for a buyer to come along, as I started it higher. You always have to consider that these are items that have not sold at Neiman's or wherever, and now ended up at TJMaxx, so that tells us there are limits to demand. The counter to that in that there are vast swaths of this country with no provision for upscale menswear, so you are reaching a different audience. I run my eBay biz at 5x-10x or preferably (much) more, but that's tough to do when the entry cost is high, especially when I know I'm (most likely) going to have to wait a while for a sale. If I were you, I'd talk to one of the staff and say "Hey, can you help me out with this one? I'd love to buy it, but it's a bit out of my budget". Or, as @flipstah suggests, grumble about the hole they made in the leather. It's worth the hustle for sure. Hopefully they will at least tell you when he next markdown will take place, and how much that markdown will be. $800 is a pretty stiff entry cost for our kind of biz, but I would first of all make an attempt to get it for less, and kop and then flip cheap for a fast sale. List for $1500, sell for anything over $1200, which is great if you can squeeze it out of them at $400. On eBay, it will probably sell in a week or few for $1200, especially at this time of year, but it will likely take months at, say, $2500. There are very few completed listings at high prices. So you just need to assess whether making a quick $400 on $800 falls within your business guidelines, or whether you are wiling to tie up that $800 for much longer to try for the big bucks. YMMV, of course. This is one where you just have to roll the dice. In this case, I'd "squeeze and kop". Final thought: I would cough up the $800 all day long for personal, other than that without exception, I never keep NWT stuff for personal because I am constitutionally incapable of tearing off that tag and watching those NWT premium dollars evaporate.
Epic insight. Thank you.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

about to drop off about 30 pairs of dress shoes and mcw shoes. Brands range from: alden, ae, f and b, Gucci, Carmina.

I don’t have time to sell and these were in my storage unit for 3 years. All great to good shape.

I can confirm this is legit. Someone should seriously take him up on this.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay. That’s fair. I’m leaving for a trip on Saturday and time is money. Hence, why I gave a l SF member the oppty before donating these. If I knew any San Jose members other than @barrel (whom I texted) then i would’ve gladly offered.
Ask Nataku or bandit. I always offer them dibs.

Anyways, I technically still have these because I hit traffic and missed the drop off window.

With that said, if someone local wants these then pm me or we can meet when I am back from vacation

Yes time is money.
But money is even more money .

namdaemun

Reaction score
Yes time is money.
But money is even more money .

100% But with 100 errands to run before my trip...i simply cannot allocate the time. Trust me or I would. :) Plus, I work 12-16 hour days and i'm simply spent by 7pm

Great to see you, the person who inspired me to thrift, is still doing big things!

namdaemun

Reaction score
@Nataku DM7 was that kid in LA who literally scored every single top SWD / sartorial find, right?? Didn't he make a website with another styleforum member?

Juntao90

Reaction score
@namdaemun Get your panties out of a bunch. If you take that kind of offence to an inoffensive joke from a stranger on the internet…I feel sorry for you in real life.
And @carreragt7 put it best. That comment came across as pompous and not helpful at all. Wishing us good luck like it’s the hunger games. No one needs your luck or your shoes and you didn’t do anything special. Don’t expect to come in here and anyone grovel at your feet.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to join the breville party!
20220923_072539.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

about to drop off about 30 pairs of dress shoes and mcw shoes. Brands range from: alden, ae, f and b, Gucci, Carmina.

What if I send my parents to come get them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads