• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I should have a lot of thrift karma built up from the amount of time I've spent reclipping pants back on their hangers.

My rule is if it falls off without me touching it or wasn't secured properly in the first place from previous person, I don't pick it up/re-hang. If I added up all the time spent fixing **** in a store that I didn't mess up in the first place, I'm sure it would add up to weeks of my life.

I pick stuff up from the floor: 20% is due to a belief/hope in karma, 20% because I’m a decent person, and 60% because I’ll be seen near it and blamed.

chpartisan

Reaction score
Finds from last week. In a bit of a dry spell lately.
DSCF8392.JPG

First VV, might as well make it NWT.
DSCF8393.JPG
First tailored Hermes. The pants are still out there somewhere.
DSCF8394.JPG
Really like the fabric on this EZ SC. Not in my size
DSCF8055.JPG

DSCF8395.JPG DSCF8290.JPG

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do I get like a prize if I match Frenchy finds? Found the same blue vintage Hilfiger crest shirt with the life preserver and other doodads.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a better picture of the Alden for BB LHS 763 unlined shell cordovan loafers. Thanks everybody for chiming in, much appreciated.
fullsizeoutput_a4c.jpeg

After sending out my plea, while working through the jeans rack, my internal narrative got into a mantra of sorts with the words "Lucky, Levis, Gap" recurring over and over until I entered a state of heightened awareness and freedom from desire. At that precise moment, like the perfect flower of a lily arising from the muck of a muddy pond, a wondrous apparition appeared before me:
fullsizeoutput_a49.jpeg

Yes. A pair of mint Kiton jeans, with a perfect tateochi (japanese: "vertical falls", aka 'slubby') fade. Holy cow.
I grabbed the sacred object and set it aside, then whipped out my smart phone like a katana to cut through the uncertainty when a flash of enlightenment appeared on it. It was a message from @ORLThrifter, a true buddy-satva* racking up karma points by confirming that I had indeed stumbled on a grail pair of Alden Leisure Hand Sewn shell cordovan loafers, albeit in a disguised form, like Yoda in Star Wars Episode 2 before he revealed himself to be a Jedi Master to Luke Skywalker.

Other objects, oddly all beginning with the letter B, found their way into my basket. Borelli and Brioni shirts, a Brooks Brothers tie, it was all a blur until I found my way to the cashier, only to learn that the whole store was 30% off. Except shoes, those were 50% off.
fullsizeoutput_a4b.jpeg

So remember thrift bros, much like the central tenet of buddhism, thrifting may seem like an endless cycle of suffering and rebirth, but with the strength of the group good things can happen. Thanks again everybody.

*boddhisattva, like in the Steely Dan song -
noun
  1. (in Mahayana Buddhism) a person who is able to reach nirvana but delays doing so out of compassion in order to save suffering beings.

Last edited:

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently, Allen Edmonds makes for BB and it is advertised as such. Previously they didn't advertise it.

Alden makes BB's MiUSA cordovan shoes, unlined chukka and blucher and a few other things. Alden's width size has two letters (like B/D) while AE just has one letter.

BB does sell Edward Green branded shoes. Not sure if BB ever sold EG made shoes under the BB (or Peal label).

I'm waiting on a shipping confirmation on a GRAIL shoe purchase. An English maker for an American brand. I hope typing this out didn't jinx me.

Years ago (60s and 70s I believe) Edward Green did make shoes for Brooks Brothers under the Peal & Co brand as well as the “Brooks English” line.

The easiest way to tell is the last number. Most often it was the 202 last or the 346. The 346 was unique to BB and is named in honor of the flagship at 346 Madison. Or the 184 EG last # for loafers.

Likewise you can find EG shoes made about a decade later for Paul Stuart, Carroll & Co., and Bullock & Jones. Sometimes the shoes would be cobranded i.e. Edward Green for Paul Stuart. But not always. Look for the last #.

AHS

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oxxford cashmere (pictured earlier) came in today - my first; it's crazy thick - essentially a double cashmere unstructured car coat cut like a blazer

Solid fit, arms are to long!!!

Dollar for dollar my top find this year - replaces 3 others in my closet

I now know what love is ...

Aren't you in Los Angeles? You have a lot of coats for a warm area if so!

Vixx

Reaction score
Aren't you in Los Angeles? You have a lot of coats for a warm area if so!

San Fran - spent a lot of time growing up in London winters.

1) I am cold ...all ...the ...time - my gf and I swapped gender roles when it comes to temp. :)

2) I travel all the time... Have a couple of clients in Chicago that love nothing more than scheduling the California folks the second week in Jan lol

Just got back from Minn. .. Oy.

3) I love coats. Eventually need to downsize... But not today ;)

4) pleasantly surprised on this one - was described As a warm blazer.. Gf washed one of mine on accident :x

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a better picture of the Alden for BB LHS 763 shell cordovan loafers. Thanks everybody for chiming in on it, much appreciated.
View attachment 895093

After sending out my plea for help, while working my way through the jeans rack, my internal narrative got into a mantra of sorts with the words "Lucky", Levis, Gap" recurring over and over until I entered a state of heightened awareness and freedom from desire. At that precise moment, like the perfect flower of a lily arising from the muck of a muddy pond, a wondrous apparition appeared before me:
View attachment 895098
Yes. A pair of mint Kiton jeans, with a perfect tateochi (vertical falls aka slubby) fade. Holy cow.
I grabbed the sacred object and put it aside, then whipped out my smart phone like a katana to cut through the uncertainty, when a flash of enlightenment appeared on it. It was a message from @ORLThrifter, a true buddy-satva* racking up karma points by confirming that I had indeed stumbled on a grail pair of Alden Leisure Hand Sewn shell cordovan loafers, albeit in a disguised form, like Yoda in Star Wars Episode 2 before he revealed himself to be a Jedi Master to Luke Skywalker.
View attachment 895099
Other objects, oddly all beginning with the letter B, found their way into my basket: Borelli and Brioni shirts, a Brooks Brothers tie, it was all a blur until I found my way to the cashier, only to learn that the whole store was 30% off. Except shoes, those were 50% off. So remember thrift bros, thrifting may seem like an endless cycle of suffering and rebirth, but with the strength of the group good things can happen. Thanks again everybody.

*boddhisatva, like in the Steely Dan song -
noun
  1. (in Mahayana Buddhism) a person who is able to reach nirvana but delays doing so out of compassion in order to save suffering beings.
It's like James Joyce was a thrifter ....

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I get like a prize if I match Frenchy finds? Found the same blue vintage Hilfiger crest shirt with the life preserver and other doodads.

Only if you post a pic wearing it with that mythical Vuarnet i sent you.
:hide:

ORLThrifter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a better picture of the Alden for BB LHS 763 shell cordovan loafers. Thanks everybody for chiming in, much appreciated.
View attachment 895093

After sending out my plea for help, while working my way through the jeans rack, my internal narrative got into a mantra of sorts with the words "Lucky", Levis, Gap" recurring over and over until I entered a state of heightened awareness and freedom from desire. At that precise moment, like the perfect flower of a lily arising from the muck of a muddy pond, a wondrous apparition appeared before me:
View attachment 895098
Yes. A pair of mint Kiton jeans, with a perfect tateochi (vertical falls aka slubby) fade. Holy cow.
I grabbed the sacred object and set it aside, then whipped out my smart phone like a katana to cut through the uncertainty when a flash of enlightenment appeared on it. It was a message from @ORLThrifter, a true buddy-satva* racking up karma points by confirming that I had indeed stumbled on a grail pair of Alden Leisure Hand Sewn shell cordovan loafers, albeit in a disguised form, like Yoda in Star Wars Episode 2 before he revealed himself to be a Jedi Master to Luke Skywalker.
View attachment 895099
Other objects, oddly all beginning with the letter B, found their way into my basket: Borelli and Brioni shirts, a Brooks Brothers tie, it was all a blur until I found my way to the cashier, only to learn that the whole store was 30% off. Except shoes, those were 50% off. So remember thrift bros, thrifting may seem like an endless cycle of suffering and rebirth, but with the strength of the group, good things can happen. Thanks again everybody.

*boddhisatva, like in the Steely Dan song -
noun
That's amazing man, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads