• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI, That tag would have my defenses up.  One of the key checks for fakes is that the Burberry logo should always be in the same font,whether it's on a button, a main tag, a hang tag, or a material/origin/wash instructions tag.  This is one of the many sites that talk about this ... 

There also isn't any spacing between the material name and the 100%

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, That tag would have my defenses up. One of the key checks for fakes is that the Burberry logo should always be in the same font,whether it's on a button, a main tag, a hang tag, or a material/origin/wash instructions tag. This is one of the many sites that talk about this ...
There also isn't any spacing between the material name and the 100%

This is certainly disappointing to hear, I just sent an email to the Burberry customer support in hopes that they might be able to give a definite answer.
I haven't yet paid for the coat since it's an online auction, so any additional input would be much appreciated.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember, no worries if you like the fit, style, and the price. If you wind up feeling ripped off then definitely you should be upset.

SteelGuy

Reaction score
This is certainly disappointing to hear, I just sent an email to the Burberry customer support in hopes that they might be able to give a definite answer.
I haven't yet paid for the coat since it's an online auction, so any additional input would be much appreciated.
It depends how you look at it. If you haven't paid, there's no loss possible, only time that was spent learning. That's a good position to be in. When I get too involved/emotional with a find or auction, that's when I miss the "ground reality" of the situation and end up putting good money after bad.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it does look nice regardless but since I can't see it in person beforehand I was thinking that if it doesn't work out I can just resell it for way more than I bought it for.
This however requires that it's legit and not a fake.

But I would also like to know for sure that it's a fake before reporting the seller, since it's apparently her deceased boyfriends old coat and I would prefer to not claim her/him to be a liar in such a unique situation.

Last edited:

Chotii

Reaction score
Pics??!!!!!!!
happy.gif

Shirt identification: acquired

Shirt, special, flannel, olive drab, coat style. Probably dated about 1943. Mustard shade, lapped style cuffs. The flap across the chest is called a 'gas flap'. The gussets in the cuffs are also called gas flaps. The buttons on the back of the collar (this shirt only has one) are for attaching a gas hood. Most soldiers apparently removed the gas flaps as they were bulky.

Without flash, to show detailing:

Gas flap show buttoned across the front (3 buttons):

Gas flap:

Lapped cuffs date it to 1943 issue. Gas flaps at the cuffs:

The quartermaster's label:

Remnant of size tag. This thing is really small. Fits 36" chest.

Button for gas hood:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two e-thrifts from yesterday and today

Burberry
I've been notoriously wrong before, but I'm going to vote 100% fake on this. Everything from the tags to the styling.

I don't think Burb will authenticate anything. When you think about it, they have no reason to look at other people's stuff unless they're interested in seeing what is currently being faked.

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry will not authenticate anything for you but they sure will act to have Ebay pull down a bunch of your listings as punishment if they determine you have listed a fake item. No due process or trial either...just a near death penalty.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been notoriously wrong before, but I'm going to vote 100% fake on this. Everything from the tags to the styling.

I don't think Burb will authenticate anything. When you think about it, they have no reason to look at other people's stuff unless they're interested in seeing what is currently being faked.
Yeah I figured that was probably the case, but it's free to send an email so figured why not.

Burberry will not authenticate anything for you but they sure will act to have Ebay pull down a bunch of your listings as punishment if they determine you have listed a fake item. No due process or trial either...just a near death penalty.
Which is exactly why I'm now very hesitant to buy it in the first place, seeing how it would probably be hard to sell if it's a fake.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You haven't bought it yet? Don't. It's not a signature Burb piece, even if it was legit. There are way better looking shearlings than that out there.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Marshalls.

The Sage de Cret(!!!!!) [fits like a slim medium/small] and the Jack Spade pants [29] are available.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Every project I touch turns into something infinitely more complicated than the original plan. Case in point: I was going to do a bit of work on what will be my son's bedroom. Fix a few holes, fresh paint, etc. Three hours into it, my wife checked on me:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads