• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Sandpaper is my go-to for leather soles, it's worked better than any other solution I've tried. It makes a slightly noticeable mark but is much better than having the marker writing, & the wear on the soles from the sandpaper is minuscule in the long run.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used to like her early stuff, "borderline", when she got into that 'papa dont peach' phase, i tuned out...

quoting for obscurity

marchal.gif

WeAreLuxury

Reaction score

Sandpaper is my go-to for leather soles, it's worked better than any other solution I've tried. It makes a slightly noticeable mark but is much better than having the marker writing, & the wear on the soles from the sandpaper is minuscule in the long run. 
What grain do you use? I'm guessing fine grain, right? Is there a way to condition the leather after sanding it so it looks less damaged?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

quoting for obscurity

:marchal:

I liked it that Madonna was unafraid to jump on the bandwagon of examining hard-hitting issues in her songs; made for some interesting playground and dinner table conversation.

Also: Merry Xmas!

Also: RIP George Michael :(

rhyme

Reaction score
What grain do you use? I'm guessing fine grain, right? Is there a way to condition the leather after sanding it so it looks less damaged?

I have had good luck using Goo Gone. Fine grain sandpaper followed with conditioner.

mco543

Reaction score
No idea how to get sharpie out of leather, I've had success using vinegar to get spots and stains out of the uppers, but WD40 on a paper towel and rubbing will get it out of rubber.

Last edited:

Chotii

Reaction score
Shirt identification: acquired

Shirt, special, flannel, olive drab, coat style. Probably dated about 1943. Mustard shade, lapped style cuffs. The flap across the chest is called a 'gas flap'. The gussets in the cuffs are also called gas flaps. The buttons on the back of the collar (this shirt only has one) are for attaching a gas hood. Most soldiers apparently removed the gas flaps as they were bulky.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score

Shirt identification: acquired

Shirt, special, flannel, olive drab, coat style. Probably dated about 1943. Mustard shade, lapped style cuffs.  The flap across the chest is called a 'gas flap'. The gussets in the cuffs are also called gas flaps. The buttons on the back of the collar (this shirt only has one) are for attaching a gas hood.  Most soldiers apparently removed the gas flaps as they were bulky.

Pics??!!!!!!! :happy:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has knowledge/experience with Burberry outerwear besides the trench coats? Wondering if there are any easy tells a garment might be fake or not
If you think you can help me if you get some pictures, do please send me a PM

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used lacquer thinner and brush cleaner (really harsh paint stripper) to get rid of sharpie. Fine grain sandpaper use 220 grit, follow up with 320 or finer if you're unhappy with the lines it'll leave. My take on some more extreme methods is - its useless with the mark/stain/sharpie so I have nothing to lose.
This convo is better for the eBay thread.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sell luxury clothing online and one of my biggest inventory sourcing platforms is, obviously, second hand shops / eBay auctions.
My issue with many of the resale shops is this idiotic trend to write the price on the shoes or handbag IN SHARPIE!!
I have a pair of like new Prada, mens boots that I can't do jack with because they have $55- scribbled on the soles of each boot.
I have tried alcohol (rubbing not drinking) baby oil, leather cleaner, tide stick, axe body spray (srsly there is a bunch of videos on YouTube showing this working.)
I don't want to file it off though that has been suggested. The shoe that I have the hardest time with is FERRAGAMO because of the softness and absorbency of the leather it really holds tight the ink.

Can anyone help me out with the issue of removing permanent marker from the leather soles of high end shoes.
Please don't comment with what you have "heard" might work, I have Google too.
1f609.png

What I need is tips and tricks that have been tested and found to work on this type of dress shoes. Not sneakers, dress shoes.
Thank you in advance for your time and effort. Hillary Marek from Hillary's of Houston Luxury Clothing and Vintage Boutiques
I have had success with a Mr. Clean magic eraser before.

SteelGuy

Reaction score

FYI, That tag would have my defenses up. One of the key checks for fakes is that the Burberry logo should always be in the same font,whether it's on a button, a main tag, a hang tag, or a material/origin/wash instructions tag. This is one of the many sites that talk about this ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads