• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was! It's not a medium, is it?

It's large... I had a feeling it was a medium you were after, but couldn't remember for sure.

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4. Allen Edmonds sharkskin shoes. These shoes were also in mint condition, and I have wanted shark for a while, so I splurged and spent $65, plus shipping.

Those sharkskin shoes are awesome!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of desirable records, you can look to tailored clothing for an analogy: you're looking for Kiton amongst the CK and JAB. Some people will never find Kiton.

so many nooks and crannies. some great nuggets of knowledge so thank you for sharing.

on a slightly different note (
rimshot.gif
) last week i watched some dude kop a 5" stack of somebody's collection of rare local gangsta rap (he even said the guy's mom must've donated them b/c a collector simply never would). i'm a naturally curious guy and a lifelong student but i just cannot get up for sifting through stacks and stacks of LPs at this point.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meant to post this a while ago. It's a knock off, but looks sweet, and the price is right. For such a low investment, I'm gonna learn how to reupholster and put it in my library room.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm a naturally curious guy and a lifelong student but i just cannot get up for sifting through stacks and stacks of LPs at this point. 

I think it's the passion that drives us. You've gotta have an interest for it, otherwise digging through a musty crate of vinyl just does not sound appealing. Just as through flipping through thousands of shirts doesn't sound appealing to your average person. Every time I see a crate of vinyl, I think to myself "there just might be that super rare private press 60's psychedelic rock LP buried in there". It's paid off many a time.

tonylamer

Reaction score

so many nooks and crannies. some great nuggets of knowledge so thank you for sharing. 

on a slightly different note :)rimshot: ) last week i watched some dude kop a 5" stack of somebody's collection of rare local gangsta rap (he even said the guy's mom must've donated them b/c a collector simply never would). i'm a naturally curious guy and a lifelong student but i just cannot get up for sifting through stacks and stacks of LPs at this point. 

It's not even worth it. If you're not the first guy at the bin, you'll miss everything. It's crazy. You probably have 1-5 minutes to buy vinyl once it's on the floor.

Some of you might dig this story. Once, just out of curiosity (I wanted to see what would happen), I brought my beat-to-**** worthless re-issue of Dark Side into a thrift and put it in the vinyl bin. It was unplayable, really scratched to hell. I wanted to see how long it would last. I swear that within 30 seconds someone swooped in and took it.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not even worth it. If you're not the first guy at the bin, you'll miss everything. It's crazy. You probably have 1-5 minutes to buy vinyl once it's on the floor.

Some of you might dig this story. Once, just out of curiosity (I wanted to see what would happen), I brought my beat-to-**** worthless re-issue of Dark Side into a thrift and put it in the vinyl bin. It was unplayable, really scratched to hell. I wanted to see how long it would last. I swear that within 30 seconds someone swooped in and took it.

But that's an incredibly iconic album cover, which anyone who has ever heard of Pink Floyd would recognize. The turnaround time on the rare stuff would likely be longer, simply because the average joe walking in off the street is not going to know what it is.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not thrift related, but with all the vinyl interest lately, I thought I'd mention my favorite radio station, WFMU's, yearly record fair in case anyone is interested:

https://wfmu.org/recfair/

SteelGuy

Reaction score
EThrift Christmas came early. Checking out the boxes that arrived and seeing mostly good news.

The vintage Nike waffle shoes I mentioned are looking great

Men's 7

One of the Loro Piana coats I paid up for ($200) looks to pay off. (the other one gets sent back not as described.)

And thx to eBay valet this women's polyester zegna showed up

Fracking gorgeous

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. I guess it depends on how hard the stores you go to are hit and their location. You'll have better luck digging through the crates out on the floor at a hole-in-the-wall store out in the middle of no-where rather than one in a suburban area.

The stuff out on the floor at the stores in my area have all been sifted through a thousand times over. Vinyl has became so popular lately, everyone and their brother digs through records. The new arrival carts are hit harder than the clothing racks to begin with (and the clothing racks are literally ravaged upon rolling out the backroom door), and with any hint of vinyl peeking out, it'll draw that much more attention. I don't even bother fighting through the crowds around the carts to try and get a peek, because I've heard from employees that most stores in my area either have a vinyl expert in the back who prices everything individually (yes, just like a record store) or just sends anything that looks cool to their online auction site. It sucks. Really takes the fun out of it. I feel sorry for the new collectors out there. Yes, there's still eBay and record stores. The eBay market has been flooded and really brought many prices down on stuff, but finding this stuff in the wild has really changed. I don't think I've found a decent record at a thrift since last year when I was in LA and found some rare pysch albums at a GW that is hit really hard. That gave me a little hope.

Last edited:

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meant to post this a while ago. It's a knock off, but looks sweet, and the price is right. For such a low investment, I'm gonna learn how to reupholster and put it in my library room.

Two ******* dollars ?
How do they stay in business.im sorry that's moronic.but good for you.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's the passion that drives us. You've gotta have an interest for it, otherwise digging through a musty crate of vinyl just does not sound appealing. Just as through flipping through thousands of shirts doesn't sound appealing to your average person. Every time I see a crate of vinyl, I think to myself "there just might be that super rare private press 60's psychedelic rock LP buried in there". It's paid off many a time.

But that's an incredibly iconic album cover, which anyone who has ever heard of Pink Floyd would recognize. The turnaround time on the rare stuff would likely be longer, simply because the average joe walking in off the street is not going to know what it is.

This. I guess it depends on how hard the stores you go to are hit and their location. You'll have better luck digging through the crates out on the floor at a hole-in-the-wall store out in the middle of no-where rather than one in a suburban area.

The stuff out on the floor at the stores in my area have all been sifted through a thousand times over. Vinyl has became so popular lately, everyone and their brother digs through records. The new arrival carts are hit harder than the clothing racks to begin with (and the clothing racks are literally ravaged upon rolling out the backroom door), and with any hint of vinyl peeking out, it'll draw that much more attention. I don't even bother fighting through the crowds around the carts to try and get a peek, because I've heard from employees that most stores in my area either have a vinyl expert in the back who prices everything individually (yes, just like a record store) or just sends anything that looks cool to their online auction site. It sucks. Really takes the fun out of it. I feel sorry for the new collectors out there. Yes, there's still eBay and record stores. The eBay market has been flooded and really brought many prices down on stuff, but finding this stuff in the wild has really changed. I don't think I've found a decent record at a thrift since last year when I was in LA and found some rare pysch albums at a GW that is hit really hard. That gave me a little hope.

Even vinyl shops have been pre-picked since the 90's. I was friends with the buyer/manager at Reckless in Chicago and gave him my list of 100+ bands/labels to put aside for me if anything came in. I'd go every few days and cherry pick; the rest hit the floors.
Like MCM furniture, nice Pyrex and Fireking etc, decent vinyl is no longer to be found at thrifts in the US.

Altho Nat made a good point - some hole in the wall middle of nowhere places do turn up some crazy stuff. I remember being in a mom-and-pop record store somewhere in South Dakota and they had a bin full of rare experimental vinyl, new and sealed (albums on the United Dairies label - Nurse With Wound and such). Including the 1st release, which is wicked rare and spendy. Priced at like $12 per record. I bought them all, and asked how they ended up getting them - said they placed an order for something and got the wrong shipment, and they'd been sitting for like 20+ years until I walked in.

Have had OK luck at some estate sales tho - went to one that explicitly advertised selling Blue Note vinyl, but went on the last day expecting nothing...instead walked out with a nice stack of original Blue Note, classic rock etc, and deals were made for quantity over and above the 75% off tagged price.

And not for nothing, but Dark Side is about the last Floyd album I would buy...IMO.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another perfectly adequate day.
POP on Dries

like new pringle jacket

ethrift, were called out as women's.
Sure enough they were. :/ But at least they were BBBF, not as stated.

rando stuff, EZ Tux vest, climbing shoes, NB mall walkers, AE Belt

0.jpg

Finally!

Check that off the list, Cotton/Linen/Silk, but doesn't fit.

Also POP on Edwin. Whoever usually keeps Austin good denim free has been out of town this week.

Here's a story only thrifters could appreciate. Walk into the best store in town and see a new guy working on the tie rack. Chat him up, he's pulling all the old ties off. He's doing that for a while, I start to get impatient, so I ask him if he could bring out the new ones and I could go through them, hey it'll be fewer you have to put up. He brings out 2 huge bins full of ties, I dig in. Not 2 minutes later I have these ties, I'm <1/5 way through the first bin and one of the managers tells him he can't let me pick through "unsorted" ties. So I'm hearing this and I start scrambling, grabbing what I can before the gravy train comes to a complete and full stop. Based on the quality to crap ratio, this would have been a 50+ tie haul. Also, this place hasn't produced a decent tie in almost a year, and barely any ties make it to SGW from here, so either the manager who "sorts" the ties is completely skimming, or this GW has some other ebay account I don't know about. THAT was frustrating.

shoutout to @ATLjon for the Boglioli donegal hookup

Got home, opened the package, put it on, and headed out to the Austin Trail of Lights.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads