• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just reminded why I'm starting to hate estate sales. Pry myself outta bed at 5:30 am. Get to sale at 6:30. sale open at 9. I'm # 50 in line.....

Sounds really ******. Never been to one.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of my ties end up with a pretty small knot. I can't do some of the knots that are bigger because the tie will end up being short (I'm 6'3"). So, I think I need ties that are pretty thick and substantial. Which tie brands are thicker and will provide a bigger knot and the length I need? I know it depends on the tie, but are there some that are generally thicker? I have 1-2 Canali that are thick. Are there others that generally are thicker besides Canali?

Last edited:

borbor

Reaction score
A lot of my ties end up with a pretty small knot. I can't do some of the knots that are bigger because the tie will end up being short (I'm 6'3"). So, I think I need ties that are pretty thick and substantial. Which tie brands are thicker and will provide a bigger knot and the length I need? I know it depends on the tie, but are there some that are generally thicker? I have 1-2 Canali that are thick. Are there others that generally are thicker besides Canali?
some EZs are pretty thick.

Thomas Pinks are def thick (the ones I've come across). Ike Behar. I find Isaia 7 folds as thicker than I like tbh (while the cremieuxes aren't)

velomatt

Reaction score
You can typically find longer ties. I got my dad a couple of ties while I was in Italy from Andrew's Tie's (http://www.andrewsties.com/en/), that he seemed to like from a length perspective. He is short than you, but pretty heavy, and needs a long tie to get around his neck and also over his belly.

I have some Thomas Pink ties also that are plenty thick. But I think your real challenge is finding the correct length, so you can tie a double windsor to get the bigger knot, if that's what you want.

Do you have any ties that you like from a length perspective? I'd bring that one with you when you go shopping and check it against potential purchases.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni will probably be some of the thickest silk of that quality you will find in a 3 fold construction, all are roughly 60 inches which me being 6 feet and needing 58 inches or more, may be a little on the short side depending on your knot of choice. If you want a substantial tie, I think (as I believe was just stated) that Isaia 7 Folds are some of the thickest pieces of silk I've come across, however I am unfamiliar with their measurements as far as length is concerned. If your doing a standard 4 in hand, you should be fine with some Brionis cuz that doesn't take up much silk and you won't need to fork over the funds to pay for a tie of 7 fold construction. HOWEVER, you can also try going to the Sam Hober website and have your ties custom made to your exact specifications for a fairly reasonable price. They provide a multitude of choices in fabric and construction and are excellently hand crafted ties.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds really ******. Never been to one.
Try, they can net results that would kill a solid thrift come up if you wind up with a good one. I've gotten ridiculous stuff at them. Make sure the house is worth at least a few mil though (going by LA real estate standards).

Edit: I say this because I made the mistake of going to my first one at a moderately priced and sized home and wound up with the same experience having to wait in line and then wind up going through someones junk and it put me off to them for like 4-5 months. Then I tried one again a couple minutes from my spot and it was ******* legit and I'm all about them now, get email updates and everything.

Last edited:

marc roberto

Reaction score

I find Stefano Riccis to average 61"-62" in length, also Tom Ford I find some on the long side (I think the really recent ones are getting skinnier) and if its the woven fabric ones they make really thick knots.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kiton 7 folds are long and thick (that's what she said) if you use a double four in hand, you will always have a substantial knot and a nice dimple. That has been my experience at least. Also, Windsor knots are for football announcers. They almost always look terrible.

Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Robert Talbott Best of Class, Carmel, Seven Fold, etc. (anything other than Studio) have some wonderfully thick silk. Plus, since they are typically at a lower pricepoint than some of the others mentioned, you don't fret over a stain or snag.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni will probably be some of the thickest silk of that quality you will find in a 3 fold construction, all are roughly 60 inches which me being 6 feet and needing 58 inches or more, may be a little on the short side depending on your knot of choice. If you want a substantial tie, I think (as I believe was just stated) that Isaia 7 Folds are some of the thickest pieces of silk I've come across, however I am unfamiliar with their measurements as far as length is concerned. If your doing a standard 4 in hand, you should be fine with some Brionis cuz that doesn't take up much silk and you won't need to fork over the funds to pay for a tie of 7 fold construction. HOWEVER, you can also try going to the Sam Hober website and have your ties custom made to your exact specifications for a fairly reasonable price. They provide a multitude of choices in fabric and construction and are excellently hand crafted ties.
Ties?
peepwall[1].gif

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe/outdoor/cycling peeps - Having a ***** of a time finding much info on these Nike CC-X cycling shoes.. From what I can gather, they're from the late-80s. That's literally all I can find on them. Couldn't leave them though.

@Bahljs
@Fueco
@impuntura

joshmick

Reaction score
As a bigger guy, myself, I notice the problem is that I am tying the knot at the thinner part of the blade, which allows for less "bulk" to the knot. Seem like you need extra length moreso than thicker silk, imho.

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score
Robert Talbott Best of Class, Carmel, Seven Fold, etc. (anything other than Studio) have some wonderfully thick silk. Plus, since they are typically at a lower pricepoint than some of the others mentioned, you don't fret over a stain or snag.

The ties that have the best knots (IMO) are:

Isaia 7 folds
Zegna
Brioni
Drake's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics