• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got some pretty odd looks when I bought this a couple days ago Letric. Haha, For awhile I felt the eyes on me when I searched wimminz. I've stopped giving *****.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: old pictures...

Backpacking trip. 1994 (Kings Canyon National Park). I'm on the right. Man, do I ever wish I still had that Antelope pack!

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i did a bit of research,the content tag is in French only so that dates it prior to 1987 and that copyright plate was used from 1980 on so that adds up.there arr several examples on ebays hermes page with same line.also its exactly the right size and weight,yes they tell you to weigh it lol.
I vote real,even though im a bit biased obviusly.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robotix was the ****! I was at the unfortunate age when they came out, where all I wanted to do was build ****, but I was too young (and apparently too dumb) to actually properly build anything.
I did look like a ******* G though

Then came high school. Hair game: not on point.

Last edited:

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very unusual Corneliani find from the last few weeks. Sky blue with mustard windowpane. Fully canvassed, dual vents, 40R. Feels like cashmere.

The unusual part: The content tag.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Older, I think. Like 2005-2010-ish. Line didn't do well, got kicked to the curb.
Sorry been under the weather and without a comp for couple days so I haven't been able to reply.

Oh really? Thanks. They just aren't too worn and I've never seen them nor could find them on ebay so I assumed newer just figuring I woulda come across them by now if older. Guess AE loyal buyers want classic American style, not Italian styled footwear, so it makes sense its now defunct, however they are made quite well.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument with our resident novelist, but we shouldn't really judge this dude for doing what he likes to do (especially when it's the same thing we all like to do). We all started somewhere, and it's probably safe to say that none of us researched every aspect of every clothing manufacturer and got a "thrifting degree" before we hit the streets on our first thrift beat. The whole thing is a learning process. We all learn stuff every day. If you aren't learning something new, THEN you are not doing it right.

Keep in mind also, if this guy is out there thrifting...it's a good chance he at least lurks this thread, so let's try not to skewer him for his efforts.
I understand what you're saying, was sorta in a mood when watching the video, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing and it got me frustrated. I know my proficiency has grown immensely over the past year or so and no, no one starts out doing this knowing everything. There were just some things he didn't know or stuff he said, that just made my jaw drop. It was all noob mistakes from someone who has obviously being doing this for a little while. I was merely just thinking that if your someone whose supporting themselves and family by doing this, not knowing the difference between a Savile Row bespoke suit and Savile Row **** is crazy to me. No one knows more than I that this is a learning process. The amount of money I dumped into this my first 6 months that was needless or just stupid, is absolutely nuts. It just seems like this guy has been doing this for a while and hasn't taken the time to be learning new things everyday. Others depend on him, thus causing my frustration because as you said "THEN you are not doing it right."

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder about that, too. I start to get a little worried when I can't contain it in all in two large rooms in my basement. I really need to thin out a lot of stuff. I still have stuff that I bought when I first started into this hobby/business. Its mostly stuff that I thought was going to make money. You know the stuff. When you are a noob or a rookie, you think that a Nike Dry Tec polo is going to bring lots of money. Or that collection of Tommy Bahama I have that I would just like to burn instead!
Dump it. Cut your losses and move on. Just make sure you donate it to someplace it's not gonna get recycled back into your mix. I donate to a homeless shelter over an hour south of me, specifics not necessary, but I don't need to make the drive, but I used to drive to far away SA's and stuff just to see the stuff right back where I am on the racks. If it's nicer stuff brand wise, it will get recirculated into the nicer areas.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude there's a whole circle of these guys on YouTube, supporting themselves (I guess) from just doing this. Most sound just like this guy. I don't get it.
I actually went on youtube and searched for more videos and got a few. From what I can surmise, I believe they are able to do so because they know mainstream brands, do not focus on a niche culture, but will sell anything they can make money off of and they are in areas where the thrifting is extremely cheap. Where I am, you cannot go at it like that, it's just a whole other level. I think that's why I got a little frustrated with these guys. I've spent years gaining the knowledge I have, far before I even stepped foot into a thrift for the first time, and these guys aren't doing homework on the brands and just go out, spend nothing and have amazing margins. Whatever though, if they are able to live and support themselves and their family, then good for them and that's all that counts at the end of the day, making sure your family is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads