• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes! I have all kinds of trouble with loafers. They rarely fit out of the box. I guess I just haven't found my last, but i have had good luck with both toungue and heal pads to make them fit better. And if you ever need to take them off, goo gone or other citrus oil based sticky removers do well without causing damage.

Awesome, this is great news! Thank you! I too have yet to find a perfectly fitting pair of loafers straight out the box.

cadmonkey

Reaction score
thrift synergyzz
fistbump.gif

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of copped items from the weekend.

Hickey Freeman, Robert Talbott (NWT), Robert Talbott Seven Fold Numbered 17/40 (NWT)
]
Orvis, SZ L, with with leather patched sleeves.

Brioni SZ L (avail) Brown and blue stripes

Canali Jacket. Green with yellow pinstripe. Super soft wish it was my size.

Nice work on those ties, ties like that will get you a solid return on your dollar on ebay, unless your planning to keep them. Also, just fyi, The Canali isn't a sport coat, it's a Suit Jacket orphan, hence the pinstripes. For future reference, don't leave the store without the pants that match that jacket, this is a rule of thumb that rings true for all pinstripe jackets no matter what level your buying at. Pinstripes are not to be worn as separates and you will never get a good return on obvious suit orphans on the secondary market, the second a buyer finds out it's an orphan they're gone. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, just giving you a heads up for future thrifts. And trust me, no matter how nice the jacket is, it isn't worth the money if its pinstriped with no matching pants, because you can't do anything with it.

Last edited:

DapperE

Reaction score
Nice work on those ties, ties like that will get you a solid return on your dollar on ebay, unless your planning to keep them. Also, just fyi, The Canali isn't a sport coat, it's a Suit Jacket orphan, hence the pinstripes. For future reference, don't leave the store without the pants that match that jacket, this is a rule of thumb that rings true for all pinstripe jackets no matter what level your buying at. Pinstripes are not to be worn as separates and you will never get a good return on obvious suit orphans on the secondary market, the second a buyer finds out it's an orphan they're gone. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, just giving you a heads up for future thrifts. And trust me, no matter how nice the jacket is, it isn't worth the money if its pinstriped with no matching pants, because you can't do anything with it.

@Jompso I greatly appreciate your input. I am a rookie at thrifting. Typically I only thrift for myself and on occasion pick up some nicer stuff to trade or get some eBay credits for eThrifts. Nonetheless, I will be headed back to look for the Canali pants. On the fence about the ties. Kind of cool to add to the collection.
Cheers, and appreciate your input.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post the potatoes man. Everyone appreciates HD pr0n, but sometimes that grainy, hairy bush VHS pr0n is the one you're looking for.
peepwall[1].gif

It was just yesterday that you were discussing sheared beaver... Now you are going all Linda Lovelace on us.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

And trust me, no matter how nice the jacket is, it isn't worth the money if its pinstriped with no matching pants, because you can't do anything with it.

Nothing.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I was actually going to ask if those funny interesting graphic tees actually sell? I find stuff like that ALL the time.

What sort of vintage T shirts are worth getting?

+1. Vintage shirts are plentiful here, decent tailored clothing is not. I've often wondered if it would make more sense to snatch up the $2 tshirts instead of waiting in vain for anything better than Haggar to turn up, I swear I could stock a Brooklyn hipster store with that **** weekly.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't be cruel. You're not human and you know it. Don't encourage the poor boy to pick up bad habits picking up strays.

Edit: In retrospect, I suppose he could do, and the consign to you. That would work...

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Did this acquisition somehow include Visvim or was Visvim acquired by them or a similar Chinese company? Because the most disheartening thing was peeping Visvim at a tradeshow and every piece saying Made In China.
Visvim is poo. period.

but just like Uniqlo level, jeans with a terrible-ish cut. (Dads: investigate Uniqlo!)
here's some recent fit pics in my Uniqlo "Dad Jeans".

it's a Dad fit.
smile.gif

Jacket: Andrew Mackenzie
Shirt: Superdry
Bow tie: Takeo Kikuchi Greeen Camo
Jeans: Uniqlo Slim Selvedge.
Shoes: Democrata. (my comfy driving shoes)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And trust me, no matter how nice the jacket is, it isn't worth the money if its pinstriped with no matching pants, because you can't do anything with it.

I've sold orphaned pinstriped current Zegna jackets for $80 and orphaned pinstriped Brioni jackets for $60 before. These are auction prices too.

R01gt

Reaction score
Couple of fun recent finds for me:

Basically mint Ray-Ban Leaving Las Vegas-style shooters w/ case. I've been wanting to thrift some vintage B&L Ray-Bans forever - glad I finally scored some but don't think I can really pull these off… haha. Will probably use proceeds to buy a different pair.

Masters Vineyard Vines tie - these are only available at the actual tournament so fairly hard to get a hold of - definitely wasn't expecting to find this guy

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
R01 those kalichrome bullet-hole RBs are the ****. Look under the horizontal brow piece, at the top of the metal frames between the lenses, and see what is marked there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads