• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Thrift / Discount Store Arguing (AKA Lets Take It Outside) Thread

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quite few things to address in one thread! I'm waiting to see a couple of the usual suspects chime in...

Anyway,

Most annoying trend on the thread is the overuse of the words "bro" and "homey"

Yes, but I'll add "wifey" to the mix. While I'm on the topic, I don't fully understand others' spouses'/partners' objections to buying clothes, new or used. I read it fairly often that someone's girlfriend/wife must give permission to something. My wife has her hobbies, I have mine. Neither of us goes overboard in spending, so I don't feel the need to get her permission to bring something home or go do something (relatively) harmless.

So, what exactly is the problem with flipping? I read the (main) thread before I started posting and there didn't seem to be so much negative feeling towards it. I've definitely mentioned eBay in some of my posts, and I apologize if that offended anyone, I really didn't know. But seriously, what's the big deal? Just for future reference. 

I can see how some want to freely discuss flipping, but I can also see how others would rather keep that subject clear. What I truly don't understand, however, is how someone could be passionate either way. I am fine to follow along with the group's decision, but it's StyleForum and it's a thrift thread. You should be passionate about many things in life, discussing or not discussing ebay should not be one of them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I read it fairly often that someone's girlfriend/wife must give permission to something. My wife has her hobbies, I have mine. Neither of us goes overboard in spending, so I don't feel the need to get her permission to bring something home or go do something (relatively) harmless.

+1. I don't get that. It's almost like having to ask permission to go work on your classic car or to go and buy a box of bullets to go target shooting.

My wife hates thrifting. She dreads setting foot in a thrift store. It's not that she hates second hand goods (hell - most everything in our house including our closets are second hand), she just hates shopping and has been that way since she was a kid. She's really grateful that I love to shop, because if I didn't our house would be bare. :laugh:

She is perfectly fine with me thrifting without her in tow. She agrees I could have way more expensive hobbies. When I come home with Lululemon tops, Kate Spade shoes, furniture/house decor or stuff to sell and help pay bills she's ecstatic.

div25sec9

Reaction score

Quite few things to address in one thread! I'm waiting to see a couple of the usual suspects chime in...

Anyway,
Yes, but I'll add "wifey" to the mix. While I'm on the topic, I don't fully understand others' spouses'/partners' objections to buying clothes, new or used. I read it fairly often that someone's girlfriend/wife must give permission to something. My wife has her hobbies, I have mine. Neither of us goes overboard in spending, so I don't feel the need to get her permission to bring something home or go do something (relatively) harmless.
I can see how some want to freely discuss flipping, but I can also see how others would rather keep that subject clear. What I truly don't understand, however, is how someone could be passionate either way. I am fine to follow along with the group's decision, but it's StyleForum and it's a thrift thread. You should be passionate about many things in life, discussing or not discussing ebay should not be one of them.

My wife objects sometimes to the clothing hobby, not directly to the clothes, but I suspect the annoyance is with me rather than the hobby itself. It usually manifests itself after she trips over a pair of shoes or can't find an empty hanger. Phrases such as "why do you need 14 pairs of shoes" or "don't you have enough jackets" can be heard.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

+1. I don't get that. It's almost like having to ask permission to go work on your classic car or to go and buy a box of bullets to go target shooting.

My wife hates thrifting. She dreads setting foot in a thrift store. It's not that she hates second hand goods (hell - most everything in our house including our closets are second hand), she just hates shopping and has been that way since she was a kid. She's really grateful that I love to shop, because if I didn't our house would be bare. :laugh:

She is perfectly fine with me thrifting without her in tow. She agrees I could have way more expensive hobbies. When I come home with Lululemon tops, Kate Spade shoes, furniture/house decor or stuff to sell and help pay bills she's ecstatic.

My wife objects sometimes to the clothing hobby, not directly to the clothes, but I suspect the annoyance is with me rather than the hobby itself. It usually manifests itself after she trips over a pair of shoes or can't find an empty hanger. Phrases such as "why do you need 14 pairs of shoes" or "don't you have enough jackets" can be heard.

I can empathize with both of those sentiments. My wife will go along with me, but she dislikes the lack of organization. She does, however, like vintage/antique furniture, lamps, clothes, etc. She's done a complete 180 on that from when we first met.

@div25sec9 My wife is the same. She will iron and run out of hangers. She'll have no understanding as to why I have so many "brown" shoes. However, she has started using the word "beautiful" to refer to certain fabrics/colors and I KNOW it's a result of her tasting the finer life :D

I just don't get how it's anything different than, say, baking. She loves to bake and spends time and money on books, classes, accessories, etc. and I would never have her get my permission for such a thing.

By the way, @Nataku, did you ever get that Lululemon hoodie from Spoo? Also, since I have yet to see the brand here, could someone school me in the correct pronunciation of the brand?

joshmick

Reaction score
"I'm sure you are super excited about that PRL OCBD you found that fits you perfectly, but EFF YOU, we are only allowed to talk about Kiton, Brioni, etc. etc. here"

-That's one of my biggest beefs with the thrift thread. People shouldn't get to decide what others are excited about. It's one thing to be "bored" by another person's finds, but to call them out on it and say it doesn't belong in that thread is kind of elitist and stupid.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife hates thrifting. She dreads setting foot in a thrift store. It's not that she hates second hand goods (hell - most everything in our house including our closets are second hand), she just hates shopping and has been that way since she was a kid. She's really grateful that I love to shop, because if I didn't our house would be bare.
laugh.gif

+1.

My wife at first tried to limit my Hobby few years ago, which was fine as it was a casual pastime. But now that it has been a full throttle journey, she is fully on board. She enjoys seeing a trunk full of items when I arrive home from thrifting all day. I think the $$ signs in her head are starting to make full circle. Like you Nat, she does enjoy the beauties I bring home for her, which are few and far between...oh well.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote:
Oh yes! You guys beat me to it. I cant agree more. I hate hearing people (yes, some on the forum)sound like they are "managing" with their wives and putting up with them etc. like its a necessary evil, I worked long and hard on my marriage to live together happily and to enjoy living each other, what happened to working hard to make it work? You're not supposed to just manage and not fight, you're supposed to live happily together and really be best friends.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I certainly do feel bad for anyone who tries and cant get it to work right though. But that's a topic of its own. Now we can argue if this is a ranting thread too.
boxing[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, @Nataku, did you ever get that Lululemon hoodie from Spoo? Also, since I have yet to see the brand here, could someone school me in the correct pronunciation of the brand?

Yup! Thanks for the heads up on it. Sadly it was a smidgen too small. Super nice piece, though. As futuremyth states, "loo loo lemon", lemon as in the fruit.

She enjoys seeing a trunk full of items when I arrive home from thrifting all day.  I think the $$ signs in her head are starting to make full circle.  

+1. Since this is my full time job she knows that those pieces that I don't keep will help pay the bulls. She also knows that my job is just like her's; mixing business with pleasure. :)

Thank you! I was talking to my brother and I believe I pronounced it "loo loo lemòn" and he though it was a riot.

Before I knew too much about it I pronounced it the same way you did. I asked my cousin who lives in BC if she had ever been to the "loo loo lemòn" outlet near her. She burst out laughing. :laugh:

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Most annoying trend on the thread is the overuse of the words "bro" and "homey"

Dude, like, seriously.

My wife hates thrifting. She dreads setting foot in a thrift store. It's not that she hates second hand goods (hell - most everything in our house including our closets are second hand), she just hates shopping and has been that way since she was a kid. She's really grateful that I love to shop, because if I didn't our house would be bare.
laugh.gif

The wifey hates going thrifting with me because I spend so much freak'n time just to cop a few items. Also, my closet space is invading her's. I really don't like thrifting as much as I used to because it's so damn dry out there. If I were living in LA, I would be happier with thrifitng but will hate the rest of life there.

I totes dislike on the main thread where people gets sooooooooooooo anal about sticking to thrift brag and not deviate to derails. I appreciate derails if they are not bullshit.

Rule #10 given by the man himself.

http://www.details.com/style-advice...9/rules-of-style-from-designer-gianluca-isaia

I love the thrift thread for many reasons. One of the major reason is there are not too many dicks/SF elitists. We got a few trolls here and there but all's good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member