• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Ebay/Thrift Store Vintage "Dare to Wear" Thread***

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mods can quickly delete this thread if a doppelganger of it exists somewhere and has simply fallen into disuse (or if the thread is just lame), but I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

The goal is simply stated in the title: find a vintage item on ebay or in a thrift store that you think is stylistically iffy but think can be resuscitated by sheer willpower into something SF approved.

Postings in this thread will only occur if:

1. You've purchased said iffy item and will post a pic of it by itself as well as a fit pic of you or someone else wearing it in what you feel is in an SF-approved manner. (Previously SF-archived photos are welcome).

2. You're posting a link to an ebay auction or online vintage site of an iffy item that you think someone else should purchase to post pics of because it doesn't fit you or you're just too chicken-**** to. (Established SF ballers who post regularly in the various WAYWRN threads are encouraged to purchase these items, but of course anybody with a pair of Clint Eastwoods can go for it).

3. You're reviewing or critiquing a fit pic or item somebody has posted.

4. You simply want to ridicule the idea of a bored insomniac or tell him what a noob he is for not having found the other thread that did this already. (I fully support you in this time-honored, SF-sanctioned activity, but shame on you for doing it anyway).

No prizes will be awarded, only the cheering or jeering of your SF peers shall greet your posts.

For those willing to participate, don't over-do it with the posts and don't be a derp and post your own ebay auction or item for sale. It would be great to find only really unique vintage items in here instead of something akin to an ugly Christmas sweater that you're just daring somebody to wear for the sake of a dare. Threads like that quickly turn into people just posting multiple items until the thread has lost its purpose.

Look for that one special item that will cause you or someone else to stretch or challenge their present sense of style - a shirt, a shoe (preferably two), a bow-tie, anything goes, but the whole purpose of the thread is to challenge yourself. And don't worry about the condition of the item. If there's a small hole, a missing button, a spot, etc., those will not be critiqued. We're looking at how you incorporate the piece into an ensemble of your own creation.

OK, enough caveats. On with the iffiness! Here's the first item I came across.

Vintage 1940's-1950's Double-Breasted Cardigan (looks like it would fit a 38-39 chest)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-40s-50s...734?pt=US_CSA_MC_Sweaters&hash=item3a6b04fb36

Posters are welcome to offer brief explanations of why they think something like this could work, but it's not required. In this case I think the pics speak for themselves as to why I think an SF'er should kop this. Yeah, it's missing a button but just get it or all of them replaced.

Somebody buy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads