• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I’m fairly certain Saphir products contain no silicone.
All the products have a materials safety data sheet at avel.com, listing the hazardous ingredients. But I have no idea whether silicone counts as hazardous.

Nader393

Reaction score
I have almost a dozen cedar shoe trees from Nordstrom rack. I also have several pounds of brass pull knobs left over from my old kitchen cabinets before renovating.

These knobs use a machine screw that goes through cabinet doors. To mount them on a block of wood, they will need "hanger bolts.". They are an 8-32 machine screw on one end, with wood screw threads on the other end. I drilled a pilot hole into the shoe tree to avoid splitting it when screwing in the knob.

E093B898-CFFD-465A-A4A6-188973E72D91.jpeg
070C3114-DC34-4C0F-8150-C0339773892B.jpeg

Here is the final result installed in a nice pair of Bally monk straps.
FD6C0E27-83B0-4385-B277-6348A929563A.jpeg

Nader393

Reaction score
If you're like me, you keep your treasures out in the open for your viewing pleasure, until you're over them. Soon, I will need a decent shoe cabinet to house these fine wares.

9A5BA2CD-0B2F-4484-8B26-D2BB87F9283C.jpeg

That second shoe tree demonstrates the importance of drilling a pilot hole.

Last edited:

masterphotog

Reaction score
I have a new pair of Enzo Bonafé chukkas on the way and I’d like to commission someone to put a light custom patina on the boots, just to highlight some areas of the shoe. I don’t necessarily want a complete makeover, but something to make it appear not stock or plain.

Any recommendations on businesses or individuals that can start these with a custom patina? I intend to simply maintain that look once applied. I just don’t trust myself to attempt this.

Thanks!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure if this question really stick with the topic, but guess I will ask it any way.

I have a couple pair of shoes that hurts the top of my big toes. I believe it's caused by the creasing of the upper vamp area. Maybe due to the toe box to be too big? Is there any way I can address this?

Some pairs are pretty snug elsewhere, and the vamp area doesn't feel so big as well, but still hurts my toe.

i don't know the make--you never said (don't tell me)--but sometimes the toe stiffener is is just too stiff. Meaning it hasn't been properly thinned over the toes such that it will flex with the the vamps. Sometimes it is too long...meaning it comes back towards the joint too far. Sometimes, as with shoes made with a toe cap that is in addition to, and over the top of the vamp, there is just too many layers of firm leather. I am not certain that a too high toe stiffener is the culprit.

FWIW, if the shoes fit properly, adding any kind of insert will not only tighten the shoes even more than you say they already are, but change the relationship of heel to ball and length of the medial long arch. Essentially altering/degrading fit--it's the 'orange peel' effect.

Last edited:

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't know the make--you never said (don't tell me)--but sometimes the toe stiffener is is just too stiff. Meaning it hasn't been properly thinned over the toes such that it will flex with the the vamps. Sometimes it is too long...meaning it comes back towards the joint too far. Sometimes, as with shoes made with a toe cap that is in addition to, and over the top of the vamp, there is just too many layers of firm leather. I am not certain that toe stiffener that is to high is the culprit.

FWIW, if the shoes fit properly, adding any kind of insert will not only tighten the shoes even more than you say they already are, but change the relationship of heel to ball and length of the medial long arch. Essentially altering/degrading fit--it's the 'orange peel' effect.
Thank you, I think you are right - it comes back toward the joint too far, the crease push hard on my feet and hence cause the pain.

In fact, the shoes does seem big to me. I guess I will just have to find them new owners....

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I've bought boots a whole size too big because they were rare and I knew I'd never find them in my size. And I've made them comfortable with insoles and foam pieces at the toe and heel. It costs nothing to give it a try - assuming you have a spare pair of insoles lying around and bits of foam from packaging or a dead pair of trainers or wherever.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought boots a whole size too big because they were rare and I knew I'd never find them in my size. And I've made them comfortable with insoles and foam pieces at the toe and heel. It costs nothing to give it a try - assuming you have a spare pair of insoles lying around and bits of foam from packaging or a dead pair of trainers or wherever.
Thanks, I bought 2 pairs in the same last/ size but now found it not fit me well. (I noticed this issue from very beginning but thought it'd get better after some wears. now ~ 10 times in but didn't get better)
Good thing I only worn one pair of them, will work on fixed the used one but sell the brand new one.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those concerned about the harshness of Renomat, here are some pictures of what it does and how to remedy.

I took Renomat to the toe caps of my AE Park Avenues in Dark Brown to remove all the mirror shine. Here are pics of the shoe after Renomat:
C64B2609-D021-4732-9D24-BEA031E27103.jpeg

Here are the shoes after the Renomat has been rinsed off with a cloth and then allowed to dry:
4A4DD735-2E48-46F0-82BE-99290B75BAA0.jpeg

Notice that the cap is now really light; these were burnished dark brown--nearly black--when original. So you can see that Renomat is pretty harsh, but don't fret: The shoe is fine! It's just severely dried out. I then took some Renovateur to the shoe and brushed it after a couple minutes, and notice that the toes are nearly normal now:
E49D8100-0361-4F78-ACD4-5B7AF8E5C7E6.jpeg

Next, I applied two coats of Saphir Medaille d'Or in Dark Brown:
5F0376E8-CA32-4ADF-85C1-79FB741831DB.jpeg

Finally, I applied and brushed Saphir Pate deluxe in Dark Brown:
78B329AC-E0A2-4C4E-8A70-9BBA0E10DBAF.jpeg

Can you even tell that the shoes have had a Renomat treatment?

Thus, don't worry so much about Renomat. On a full-grain shoe with a proper burnishing, just remoisturizing the shoe will restore it to near normal. Apply a good polish afterwards, it is 100% good to go as original. However, do not apply Renomat to a shoe that is not full grain or has some kind of cheaper painting, as Renomat may completely remove that--permanently.

benhour

Reaction score
Despite the beautiful outcome you have clearly overdone with renomat !!

Some general info about renomat!!when you are using it on dark brown or black shoes its quite easy to fix any discoloration it may occur but on a tan or other colour shoes (especially without burnished toes) it wont be the easiest thing to recreate the factory finish!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the beautiful outcome you have clearly overdone with renomat !!

Some general info about renomat!!when you are using it on dark brown or black shoes its quite easy to fix any discoloration it may occur but on a tan or other colour shoes (especially without burnished toes) it wont be the easiest thing to recreate the factory finish!
I had a ton of mirror gloss to tear off. It was my first shoe with mirror, and I had waaaaay to much.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Can you even tell that the shoes have had a Renomat treatment?

Thus, don't worry so much about Renomat. On a full-grain shoe with a proper burnishing, just remoisturizing the shoe will restore it to near normal. Apply a good polish afterwards, it is 100% good to go as original. However, do not apply Renomat to a shoe that is not full grain or has some kind of cheaper painting, as Renomat may completely remove that--permanently.

Do you have any photos from before you applied renomat? The cap toe looks like the finish has been removed. I have had this happen to one of my shoes. After renomat application they drink up all the renovator or bick 4 and end up looking much darker and somehat blotchy then they did before the application of renomat.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would classify that as a harsh effect of renomat. It has pulled off most of the finishing. It is easy to replace the colour in ur particular brand and colour of shoe.

Dark brown and black are easy to do as @benhour said. It’s much more difficult if u have a crust leather with hand painted finishing. Or if u have a specific patina done by hand or a unique color.

PS: those are lovely shoes and I am happy to see u have got such good results.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good trial run but as others have said, you have overdone the renomat. There must be simpler ways of removing wax from the toe. It all worked out in the end, though and you are back to having a beautiful pair of shoes!

AJ is right: never used Renomat on crust leather. In fact, to not use any renovating cream on crust. You will remove most of the finish. Crust leather shoes are quite difficult to care for and need only most gentle of creams. With best wishes, Munky

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads