• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would seem a shame to be prepared to ruin them through overzealous attempts at changing the surface. Why not keep them and just wear them occasionally? I have odd pairs of shoes that I don't like all that much but which make a change to wear sometimes. Otherwise, perhaps consider giving them to a charity shop so that someone else could enjoy them?
I thoroughly agree.
I myself - out of enthusiasm unbalanced by thought - bought some shoes I didn't wear often, but some I kept, others (when still almost new) I gave to my brothers or to friends who put them to better use.

In general, while I like to work on my shoes in occasions, I try to never do anything potentially harmful to them.
When I'll be an expert like @benhour, whose work we have been able to admire some posts above, I'll try something more dangerous, but for now I restrain.
Kind regards! Luigi.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lucked out and picked up some Alden Indies for cheap.

Before
20190209_084411~2.jpg

20190209_081523~2.jpg

After
20190214_184700.jpg

I don't feel like boots should be too pretty, so I'm pretty happy with where they are now.

Cheers!
John

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I go about dulling patent leather shine? I received some shoes as a gift, and have never worn them, but would like to make some use of them..

They're somewhat similar to a Doc Marten 1461 in Straw (which is what i was after) - but if I can dull these, they'll probably suffice!

Any ideas?

View attachment 1126429

I have a pair of Alden's that have a similar finish, they told me it wasn't patent but French aniline calf, with maybe some additional treatment.

If it were me, I'd either wear them or donate them, they actually don't like very shiny like actually patent leather. If you feel like experimenting and don't mind ruining this pair, you can try to strip them with renomat and do you best to make up for the splotchiness in a different way. Of course, you're free to do what you want.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
What sole guard product would you recommend for waterproofing and conditioning the leather sole before the first wear?

Is there anything that can be done to blend in this former sticker label site?

sole.jpg

Last edited:

dluce76

Reaction score
Little dye job trick I tried that worked out great:

I've done a handful of dye jobs at this point, including some on shell seconds. I always found the actual dye application to be a harrowing process because of how rapidly it was absorbed and how if you aren't fast and even, it can get streaky.

Part of my routine was to apply Bick 4 immediately after the dye dried to the touch (not very long really), to reinvigorate the leather and reverse the harmful effects of the renomat/acetone combo (plus start to moisturize any sanded areas that needed to be done to even out scratches). When doing this I noticed that the Bick 4 acted like a carrier for the dye, picking some up from the leather and spreading it. It helped even out heavier and lighter areas or streaks.

So, I tried dying with Bick 4. I took a pair of Alden shell tassels in color 8 that were quite faded and scratched, did my surface stripping and sanding routine, and then took some burgundy dye and mixed it directly with Bick 4 in a plastic cup (I wanted them more merlot color than color 8). Once mixed thoroughly in the cup, I applied to the shoes liberally.

This method produced a beautiful even dye job. No streaks, no uneven parts, and a nicely moisturized leather. I plan to only do it this way from now on. Just wanted to pass it along.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little dye job trick I tried that worked out great:

I've done a handful of dye jobs at this point, including some on shell seconds. I always found the actual dye application to be a harrowing process because of how rapidly it was absorbed and how if you aren't fast and even, it can get streaky.

Part of my routine was to apply Bick 4 immediately after the dye dried to the touch (not very long really), to reinvigorate the leather and reverse the harmful effects of the renomat/acetone combo (plus start to moisturize any sanded areas that needed to be done to even out scratches). When doing this I noticed that the Bick 4 acted like a carrier for the dye, picking some up from the leather and spreading it. It helped even out heavier and lighter areas or streaks.

So, I tried dying with Bick 4. I took a pair of Alden shell tassels in color 8 that were quite faded and scratched, did my surface stripping and sanding routine, and then took some burgundy dye and mixed it directly with Bick 4 in a plastic cup (I wanted them more merlot color than color 8). Once mixed thoroughly in the cup, I applied to the shoes liberally.

This method produced a beautiful even dye job. No streaks, no uneven parts, and a nicely moisturized leather. I plan to only do it this way from now on. Just wanted to pass it along.
what did you use to apply the dye and spread it?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any product that won't darken light brown leather shoes with factory patina or develop into a white "dusty" haze?

The dusty haze (which will absolutely go away with brushing, and buff to a higher shine) is from the wax content. Saphir renovateur, vbc, etc all have a a bit of wax in them. They will also darken the leather just a tad. Bick4 and other water based conditionerers do not. They won't darken the leather, nor will they leave a measurable amount of residue. Either way, you need to be thoroughly brushing the shoes after the conditioner had time to absorb.

What sole guard product would you recommend for waterproofing and conditioning the leather sole before the first wear?

Is there anything that can be done to blend in this former sticker label site?

View attachment 1127234

There is no significant protection that you can add for the sole unless you're gonna put a rubber half sole on it, and even then it won't cover that bit. Leather soles will be fine, just let them dry out.

Part of the reason the reason that that there's no solution here, is because any kind of treatment you add will not be permanent due to wear in that area. We usually don't recommend conditioning or treating that area because overly moistened leather can shorten the lifespan of the sole.

IMO this is overthinking it with the sticker, no ones gonna see it. The only real way is to apply a colored cream wax or dye. However the reality is that once the soles see use, they'll naturally darken and the contrast will be less significant.

benhour

Reaction score
How do I go about dulling patent leather shine? I received some shoes as a gift, and have never worn them, but would like to make some use of them..

They're somewhat similar to a Doc Marten 1461 in Straw (which is what i was after) - but if I can dull these, they'll probably suffice!

Any ideas?

View attachment 1126429
First off all you had to be sure if it is patent leather or not ! If it is the spray won’t stick very well on the surface and it ll start chip and peal of after some wear especially at the creasing points! I would keep them as they are or donate them ! If you still want to dull them up the easiest and safest way is to use a nail buffer (the brick shaped with the foam block in the center) ! I recommend use the number 3 side (not the 4 :final buffer ) pass it very lightly and it ll dull them
I hope I helped you a little bit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads