• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bfacloner

Reaction score
I would read their returns policy. If you have worn leather soles outside, they tend to be too damaged to be returned. They tend to say try them on inside/on carpet to avoid marking the soles.
On that note, anyone have recommendations for addressing the scuff/stain?

ShooIn

Reaction score
I think there is a good case that the leather is defective, I would ask for a replacement pair.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let me try to take some photos of that for you. They have super minimal shaving, just for the added thickness of the topy

The ruffing of both the sole and the side of the sole guard (that gets attached to the sole) is to insure that the cement has a secure bond. It's not to off-set the thickness of the sole guard. However, the ruffing of both sides does off-set the thickness of the sole guard to a degree.

In addition to adding traction, sole guards are a good value. They generally out-last a leather sole 2:1. Let's say with normal wear a leather sole lasts you a year. To replace it lets say it costs you $100.00. Given that, a sole guard would need to be replaced every two years at approx. $40.00. Prices vary obviously depending on your cobbler.

I find that most customers that like sole guards have them installed on nearly all of their leather soled shoes when they are brand new. Some just like the look and feel of leather soles. If you are in that camp then don't use them. If not, try a pair and decide for yourself.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ruffing of both the sole and the side of the sole guard (that gets attached to the sole) is to insure that the cement has a secure bond. It's not to off-set the thickness of the sole guard. However, the ruffing of both sides does off-set the thickness of the sole guard to a degree.

In addition to adding traction, sole guards are a good value. They generally out-last a leather sole 2:1. Let's say with normal wear a leather sole lasts you a year. To replace it lets say it costs you $100.00. Given that, a sole guard would need to be replaced every two years at approx. $40.00. Prices vary obviously depending on your cobbler.

I find that most customers that like sole guards have them installed on nearly all of their leather soled shoes when they are brand new. Some just like the look and feel of leather soles. If you are in that camp then don't use them. If not, try a pair and decide for yourself.

Ah so it's more about scoring, gotchya.

Do you know if any half-sole could be applied in the same way? Specifically, I'm looking at the Vibram lug 1253

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah so it's more about scoring, gotchya.

Do you know if any half-sole could be applied in the same way? Specifically, I'm looking at the Vibram lug 1253

The 1253:
Is significantly thicker than a sole guard. It's basically applied the same way. Because of it's thickness it needs to be applied with more pressure. I don't recommend applying it for a diy'er. Further, because of it's thickness the heel would have to be adjusted in order maintain the proper balance of your shoe. With a sole guard as DW mentioned it's a waste of money installing that on a heel. It will wear out immediately. If you were interested in the 1253 mini lug 1/2 sole, your cobbler should remove the existing top-lift, determine the difference in the 1253 and the height of the heel base and add the matching mini lug heel. Something like this:
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vi...MI7fP8pZfT3wIV0VuGCh1hvgWbEAQYBSABEgKLUPD_BwE
However, some don't like the look of the mini lug heel. In those cases a mini lug 1/2 sole can be applied but the heel still needs to be built up in order to maintain the proper balance of the shoe. The top-lift of the heel can be finished off with more of a classic looking lift.
I hope that makes sense....

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1253:
Is significantly thicker than a sole guard. It's basically applied the same way. Because of it's thickness it needs to be applied with more pressure. I don't recommend applying it for a diy'er. Further, because of it's thickness the heel would have to be adjusted in order maintain the proper balance of your shoe. With a sole guard as DW mentioned it's a waste of money installing that on a heel. It will wear out immediately. If you were interested in the 1253 mini lug 1/2 sole, your cobbler should remove the existing top-lift, determine the difference in the 1253 and the height of the heel base and add the matching mini lug heel. Something like this:
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vi...MI7fP8pZfT3wIV0VuGCh1hvgWbEAQYBSABEgKLUPD_BwE
However, some don't like the look of the mini lug heel. In those cases a mini lug 1/2 sole can be applied but the heel still needs to be built up in order to maintain the proper balance of the shoe. The top-lift of the heel can be finished off with more of a classic looking lift.
I hope that makes sense....

Yes, everything makes sense, thank you Nick. I moved to snowy climate about a year and a half ago from somewhere with barely even any rain. Since then I've been trying to figure out how to retrofit shoes to make them work. Cheers!

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muddy range days, a couple muddy critter harvests, and cleanup after a tree demolished our deck yielded some AE Sturgis 2.0s that needed a bit of attention. So I gave them some. Turned out okay. Getting a nice patina to them finally.

Sturgis Before.jpg

Sturgis After.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say I'm an unprincipled loaf who is **** at polishing shoes and doesn't care to put the effort into getting any better. Where does one take their (very nice, expensive) dress shoes to get polished, outside of shoeshine booths on Wall St. (that's still a thing, right?) Does that fall under the purview of a cobbler?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Christopher Alan

Reaction score

konoyaro

Reaction score
Did anybody else have any recs (preferably in SF itself)?
Hey, hope this is the right place to ask:

Does anybody have recommendations for cobblers in San Francisco (or the Bay Area)?

Looking to get a couple of pairs of shoes "topy'd" or have sole guards applied.

It seems like it's something any decent cobbler can do from what I've read, but I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with going to a reputable place.

I used to use Anthony's Shoe Service and they have been ok. I felt they did better work when they used to be on Geary St.

Recently I've tried "Shoe Repair" on Polk St. Small, one man shop and so far, so good. The owner, James, is a nice guy and easy to deal with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads