• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Nice idea @Munky but I will stick with @Luigi_M's method next time.

I will however, be better prepared:
asbestos-suit-500x500.jpg

sicigpat

Reaction score
Hi all ,
My shell cordovan Allen Edmonds Leeds are in need of a recraft. I’m not sure if I should send them back to AE or use B. Nelson or maybe Hangar Project. This is my first recraft and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Pat

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have white shoe cream from long time ago (got them for free with a pair of shoes I bought). Is it useful for anything other than white leather shoes?

MNJ83

Reaction score
Hi gents ;

I am wanting to clean up my shoe care box and I have a lot of old Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe polishes that have now been replaced with Saphir Pommadier MDO jars. I am hesitant about giving away the AE tubes (which I understand are rebranded Collonil Waterproof tubes) is there any reason to hang on to them? Are they in any way better than Saphir MDO products?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all ,
My shell cordovan Allen Edmonds Leeds are in need of a recraft. I’m not sure if I should send them back to AE or use B. Nelson or maybe Hangar Project. This is my first recraft and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Pat

I'm sure they will all be good, but it depends on what you want done. AE will have original lasts so if the shoe is completely wrecked, they might be a better choice. If you want another type of sole or some other customization, best to email BN and HP so see what they can do for you.

I have white shoe cream from long time ago (got them for free with a pair of shoes I bought). Is it useful for anything other than white leather shoes?

Please provide a pic. Is it a cream polish?

Hi gents ;

I am wanting to clean up my shoe care box and I have a lot of old Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe polishes that have now been replaced with Saphir Pommadier MDO jars. I am hesitant about giving away the AE tubes (which I understand are rebranded Collonil Waterproof tubes) is there any reason to hang on to them? Are they in any way better than Saphir MDO products?

If they've been replaced, it sounds like you don't need them, so why would you want them? I'm sure they're ok and will work in a pinch, but IMO Saphir is one of the best in the game, and it seems like you're already using them.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saphir-medaille-d-or-shoe-polish-medium-brown-herring-shoe-cream-dark-brown

It's the one on the left. I am not sure if it's cream polish, but that's the information I have. Apparently, you can get it in different colours as well.

I don't think Herring sells their own branded items, so it makes it a bit difficult to look it up. But, seems like it might be a conditioner/protector since it's got beeswax. Open it and let's have a look. Also, describing the consistency will help with the mystery.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
I have taken to the once a year polishing routine, whether they need it or not. I have a pair of oxblood brogue shoes that I polished with Saphir cream the last week of November, 2017. Since that time, i have worn the shoes approximately 1 time/week, brushing after each wear. This constitutes about 380K steps, according to fitbit. Twice I dinged the toecaps. Once was on an escalator, so I polished the caps, but nothing else. The only other treatment was with Bick4 in September when the leather seemed a little dry. The rest of the shoe was untouched, even the heels. The result of this routine was to to provide an extremely shiny shoe, with some clear fading in the vamp and some really interesting variations that show complexity in the leather. Here is a view in the sun before I shined them this week (last week November, 2018):

IMG_1857.JPG

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
I then treated with Renovateur, gave three light coats of Saphir Hermes Red. The brush marks are gone, the shoe looks better than new.

Unfortunately, it has been rainy here, so I had to give you an inside view of the once yearly polishing. I know the shoes look nice, but I am a little sad that I have broken the string of 50+ brush treatments before thorough polishing.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have taken to the once a year polishing routine, whether they need it or not. I have a pair of oxblood brogue shoes that I polished with Saphir cream the last week of November, 2017. Since that time, i have worn the shoes approximately 1 time/week, brushing after each wear. This constitutes about 380K steps, according to fitbit. Twice I dinged the toecaps. Once was on an escalator, so I polished the caps, but nothing else. The only other treatment was with Bick4 in September when the leather seemed a little dry. The rest of the shoe was untouched, even the heels. The result of this routine was to to provide an extremely shiny shoe, with some clear fading in the vamp and some really interesting variations that show complexity in the leather. Here is a view in the sun before I shined them this week (last week November, 2018):

View attachment 1082536

Wonderful! A man after my own heart! At last there is someone who subscribes to the idea that shoes don't need piles of cream, wax or conditioner. Brilliant. Wear and brush. You can't beat it.

I've also used Hermes Red on Burgundy shoes and the results are stunning.

Last edited:

thelonius

Reaction score
Just a note to remind you of the site that offers you every possible way of lacing your shoes:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Wonderful! Yours, Munky
Thanks Munky. I invented it at home, but someone else invented it before me apparently. A bit like the wheel. Now I know that I use the "straight European lacing" style. I find it is particularly useful for boots with 7, 8 or more eyes. It helps to equilibrate the tension and lace length from the beginning to the top.

actionjbone

Reaction score
I frequent the vintage shoe thread, where I occasionally post my shoe restoration work.

I had a thought and was wondering if anyone's ever tried it: sugru for rubber heel repair.

Sugru is a moldable adhesive rubber that can be used for all kinds of household repairs.

Has anyone here tried it to fill in an old, worn rubber heel when the shoes are otherwise fine? I'm wondering if it's a viable option for reducing trips to the cobbler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads