• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't get it (maybe it's not helping that English isn't my native language).
I'm using AE leather conditioner followed by AE saddle soap. Isn't that correct care?

If you are using so much conditioner that it piles up in the broguing, it's too much. Think of putting hand lotion on your hands...if you come away with greasy hands you've used too much. Similarly, only enough conditioner should be used that it all soaks into the leather. A light film in other words.

Same with the cream or the wax polish. Too little is better than too much...although most of the time what you think is hardly any will be more than sufficient..

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,

Quick question I'm not sure have been covered in the last 619 pages of this thread.

When applying a product (be it conditioner, paste or wax, etc.) to a brogue or punched shoe, how does one keep the product from accumulating inside the little holes?

I have some AE McTavish that have a bad habit of keeping leather conditioner in the brogue holes, thus appearing like white spots all over.

Surely there must be a trick beside tooth-picking the holes one at a time after lotion application?

Thanks!

In the past, I have used cotton buds - (I don't know what they are called in other countries, but they are sticks with cotton wool at either end). In my experience, though - as DWF is suggesting,- if the holes get blocked, you are using too much polish or cream.

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score
Hi gents,

Quick question I'm not sure have been covered in the last 619 pages of this thread.

When applying a product (be it conditioner, paste or wax, etc.) to a brogue or punched shoe, how does one keep the product from accumulating inside the little holes?

I have some AE McTavish that have a bad habit of keeping leather conditioner in the brogue holes, thus appearing like white spots all over.

Surely there must be a trick beside tooth-picking the holes one at a time after lotion application?

Thanks!
I agree with all the other advice, I would also say if you're applying any cream polish with a small dauber brush, it is easier to make sure that it gets into and out of the holes.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
how long does polish last? Generally speaking. I have saphir and some other products and don't use them more than once every other month.

Will they last years? I hope so.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how long does polish last? Generally speaking. I have saphir and some other products and don't use them more than once every other month.

Will they last years? I hope so.

Decades, if the stuff my dad has around is any indication. He doesn't polish his shoes much, if at all.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Hi all,
Question.
Is there any way to remove those dark spots off the right boot?
I bought these chukkas used a few months back and for the life of me can't get rid of them.
I've tried a deer bone, I've tried Reno lots of brushing too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Question.
Is there any way to remove those dark spots off the right boot?
I bought these chukkas used a few months back and for the life of me can't get rid of them.
I've tried a deer bone, I've tried Reno lots of brushing too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Others in this thread know far more about shoe care than I . . . but to me those shoes are gorgeous and the spots are par for the course for shell.

Itsuo

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I just got this pair of Red Wings Pebble Leather from BB:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Red-W...?dwvar_MH00365_Color=DKBR&contentpos=14&cgid=

How should I take care of the boots? Should I use reno and polish like I do for my calfskin?
If you find that the leather looks like an oily leather, then it probably only really needs to be brushed to keep surface dirt off. If you get any scuffs, you can probably just rub them out by pushing down on the leather in the opposite direction of the scuff. If you wanted to be extremely diligent you could pick up one of the items intended for greasy leathers.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delighted to report that baby power was able to suppress most of the creaking sounds caused by the friction between the tongue and the flaps (derby) of my shoe. I'm not sure how long this effect will last but at least I don't have to force myself to wear this particular pair in my rotation.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Delighted to report that baby power was able to suppress most of the creaking sounds caused by the friction between the tongue and the flaps (derby) of my shoe. I'm not sure how long this effect will last but at least I don't have to force myself to wear this particular pair in my rotation.

It's a good solution if you can access those areas that are creaking. I always thought that if I could get a hypodermic needle full of talc past the stitches and between the outsole and insole, I could suppress creaking in the shoe. Never did try it...never was confronted with need.

Bear in mind however...talc is drying. It will absorb the conditioners on and near the surface of the leather.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads