• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

csh212

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest how I should repair to prevent further wear of the sole on the anterior toe of my brogues? I'm aware of toe taps but unless theyre inset I'm not a fan. Also churchs will service the entire shoe, but there's plenty of life left in the sole. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

[/IMG]

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd throw a topy on it to try and get a little more life out of it

but definitely do inset taps in the future. that's pretty aggressive wear imo

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only worn these lace up boots a few times. Would I be smart to get them Vibramed or is that something to do after heavy wear?

They were purchased new.

Thanks.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Apart from cleaning shoes when they are scuffed or generally dirty, how many 'wears' do most people allow before they give them a polish? If you have a number of pairs of shoes and rotate them, you ain't going to wear them all that often. Do you rotate the polishing too? Again, if so, how often?
If I apply a good cream, followed by a good wax - brush and polish . . . and I am not hard on them - and each morning before I choose to wear them, do a 60 second light brush and light buff, followed that evening with a 15 minute open air dry time (before inserting shoe trees, followed by another 60 second brush and buff - then I do not expect to do another full polish for at least 7-10 full day easy wears.

Given a reasonable collection to rotate every day a different shoe or boot - that expands the life span of each pair quite a bit.

Enjoy,

David

"Glass for that extra protection from dust."

nemo

Reaction score
Greetings,

Any of you gents spare a moment and take look at this patch of shell and tell me if it is a cause for concern with regards to the durability of the leather.

This is off of a brand new pair of color 8 boots and is the only spot. The affected area has a softer spongy feel to it rather the typical stiffness of new shell, with the finish lightly flaking off in some of the creases. Possibly also worth noting is the existence of some sort of white powdery patches on various areas of the boots. I can provide additional photos if need be. Also, as mentioned previously the boots are new and looked as though they were untouched since leaving the factory so I don't think it's any sort of damage caused by handling.

My concern is not so much cosmetic but rather the integrity of the leather. Thanks in advance for any insights.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that perhaps that section of the shoe was cut from either the outskirts of the shell, or even past the shell and into adjacent muscle tissue. Probably not an issue as horween's tannage is top notch.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone suggest how I should repair to prevent further wear of the sole on the anterior toe of my brogues? I'm aware of toe taps but unless theyre inset I'm not a fan. Also churchs will service the entire shoe, but there's plenty of life left in the sole. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

[/IMG]

You need a resole. It's eating into your welt already. Ask for flushed metal toe tips to prolong the toe wear.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting little paper I found on the deterioration of vegetable tanned leather with the addition of sulphuric acids. Apparently around a ph of 3 leather begins to rapidly break down. DW commented once upon a time on the breakdown of my shoes possibly being because of sulphuric acids in the air and rainwater in nyc.

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/10/jresv10n4p559_A2b.pdf

This is interesting because Glen states on his website that vegetable tanned leather has a ph of about 3.2 and chrome tanned leather 3.8. Either the tannages used in 1933 were very different, or leather is just very fickle when it comes to small fluctuations in ph.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I usually let mine sit with trees in them after taking them off. Gives the fibers a chance to "cool off" so to speak. I brush them before I put them on to raise the fibers back and get the dust off. Something in my mind tells me vigorously brushing a shoe that is warm and has been flexed due to walking is counter productive. Just a feeling though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads