• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bickmore did an AMA today, here's a link if anyone is interested.

Thanks for that. I read through most of it. What interested me...as someone who likes and uses Bick4 ...is that the rep for Bickmore explicitly stated, at least once, that none of their products contained silicone. And implied the same another couple of times.

I was also interested in his comments about Bick5--he said it was essentially a more viscous (thicker) version of Bick 4 and that Bickmore recommended it for exotics.

Last edited:

z8k1n

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a situation with my Alden cordovan Indy's - a scratch from an unknown source has turned rather nasty.
I don't mind these getting beat up but I want to make sure this tear doesn't get any worse. Your suggested will be appreciated!
They've never been conditioned.. I wiped/cleaned them with a damp rag from time to time and then used a horse hair brush for a few minutes on each, that's about it.

anrobit

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I read through most of it. What interested me...as someone who likes and uses Bick4 ...is that the rep for Bickmore explicitly stated, at least once, that none of their products contained silicone. And implied the same another couple of times.

I was also interested in his comments about Bick5--he said it was essentially a more viscous (thicker) version of Bick 4 and that Bickmore recommended it for exotics.
When I asked about a specific silicone based ingredient which we discussed earlier, the rep refused to admit or deny whether it was in the product.

The Bickmore rep also managed to say there were many waxes in pure coconut oil. I'm not a chemist, but I do understand some basic organic chemistry. While both waxes and oils are lipids, they are by no means chemically the same. There are no waxes in coconut oil.

Not sure how reliable that rep is, DWF

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I used some cream to clean up and mend a blemish on one of the cap toe but did not condition the other shoe, would this be a cause for concern in terms of varying patina, if at all? Fwiw these oxfords are dark brown and the one layer of cream really helped with the blemish but I cannot tell any significant color difference initially between both shoe.

thelonius

Reaction score

If this has already been discussed, just tell me. I haven't gone back through the whole thread. But what actually is the issue with silicones/silicone-containing creams for leather ? I suppose they're used for their waterproofing properties, but is there a problem with these compounds for leather ? I bought a large box of ex-army shoe creams, which do contain silicone, and have been using them regularly.

Stirling

Reaction score

If this has already been discussed, just tell me. I haven't gone back through the whole thread. But what actually is the issue with silicones/silicone-containing creams for leather ? I suppose they're used for their waterproofing properties, but is there a problem with these compounds for leather ? I bought a large box of ex-army shoe creams, which do contain silicone, and have been using them regularly.

Simple version: Silicone containing products allegedly seal the leather, not allowing it to breath, be conditioned, contributing to drying out and eventually cracking.

Forgive me for saying this but just a couple of posts ago you were a phd chemist extradonaire with 20 years professional research experience, educating us on what's relevant to leather treatment. Seems incongruent.

thelonius

Reaction score

Simple version: Silicone containing products allegedly seal the leather, not allowing it to breath, be conditioned, contributing to drying out and eventually cracking.

Forgive me for saying this but just a couple of posts ago you were a phd chemist extradonaire with 20 years professional research experience, educating us on what's relevant to leather treatment. Seems incongruent.

You have to read that in the context of the thread at the time. My revealing my professional background was a response to the repeated rubbishing of what I and one other contributor were saying by some twit who had to announce their own. In any case, the effect of silicones on leather wasn't my speciality. I haven't noticed any breathing problems with my silicone-treated shoes, by the way.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope that this exchange about silicone and leather breathing isn't going to lead to another squabble. Let's all try to play nicely.

Stirling

Reaction score

I hope that this exchange about silicone and leather breathing isn't going to lead to another squabble. Let's all try to play nicely. 

Not from my end.

Any discussion about silicone in polishes is germane to this thread.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When I asked about a specific silicone based ingredient which we discussed earlier, the rep refused to admit or deny whether it was in the product.

Not sure how reliable that rep is, DWF

Understood. That said, I also understand that Bickmore might have a desire keep secret what ingredients are actually in their product. I have run across that attitude with Lexol and Bickmore and several other products that are on the market (I've actually called Bickmore and Lexol directly).

But I also make the distinction between avoiding the question regarding a specific ingredient and explicitly denying that another ingredient is part of the formula. The Bickmore rep actually said he would not address ingredients that might be part of the mix. Again, I don't like it but I can understand it. What choice do we have?

On the other hand, he was clear and adamant that Bickmore did not use or favour silicone.

I can't find it in myself to outright condemn either the rep or Bickmore itself for lying. If it turns out that the rep was lying, then I will be disappointed and stop using/recommending Bick4. Until then...not being a chemist...I like it and use it, in moderation, and will continue to observe its long term effects. All anyone can do, I suspect.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

If I used some cream to clean up and mend a blemish on one of the cap toe but did not condition the other shoe, would this be a cause for concern in terms of varying patina, if at all? Fwiw these oxfords are dark brown and the one layer of cream really helped with the blemish but I cannot tell any significant color difference initially between both shoe.

For me, personally. I would not "spot" condition or anything on my shoes. I would apply the same products to the entire shoe, both shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads