• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still cannot ubderstand why people so tout Saphir Renovateur............
Having used it on two pairs of shoes and a pair of boots, following instructions, a few years ago.............then polished them with House Brand wax, it looked really beautiful.
..................but unfortunately, one day it started to drizzle and the shoes were left with the most horrid water marks, tested out on the other pair and boots too, same result.
Came to the conclusion, the cost of Saphir products also included costs for hyping.

I would reccommend totally avoiding using Saphir Renovateur but don't take my words for it, try it for yourself and you'll see why I'm bashing Saphir products.
You're late to the game, my friend. Search deep in this thread and you'll see me ***** about Reno on here a decade ago.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's nothing bad about what is in it, but it tries to do too many things at once, which makes it sub optimal at each one of those things. I think it is good for people who want to take easy care for their shoes in one step, but it has downsides.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still cannot ubderstand why people so tout Saphir Renovateur............
Having used it on two pairs of shoes and a pair of boots, following instructions, a few years ago.............then polished them with House Brand wax, it looked really beautiful.
..................but unfortunately, one day it started to drizzle and the shoes were left with the most horrid water marks, tested out on the other pair and boots too, same result.
Came to the conclusion, the cost of Saphir products also included costs for hyping.

I would reccommend totally avoiding using Saphir Renovateur but don't take my words for it, try it for yourself and you'll see why I'm bashing Saphir products.

...Renovateur is not a water proofer, so why do you think it would protect against water? Renovateur is a leather moisturizing balm and very, very minor polish, for which it does a magnificent job.

The only time I've ever seen anyone have a problem with renovateur is when they used it on crust leather and stripped some of the dye off as a result of that. Like any neutral polish, it can take some dye off. Crust leather is not dyed in the vat, but basically only dyed after the fact, so you can strip off quite a lot of it by using even renovateur, which is not inherently a stripper, but which can strip a bit of colour.

I mean, I don't get the "hate" on renovateur. What are you guys doing with it? I literally have had no negative problems with it and I've used it on 30 shoes.

ajay199127

Reaction score
Top and bottom both look like burgundy to me, but the top pair has a patina that you might want to preserve with neutral polish.

Looks like cognac would be the best fit for the 2nd one.

Thanks for your suggestion, does neutral have agents to strip the patina ? Because renovator and Purpolish conditioner both bled the patina.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, does neutral have agents to strip the patina ? Because renovator and Purpolish conditioner both bled the patina.

Neutral polishes can strip, but they are the safest bet for preserving patinas. Generally what you want to do is use a small amount, apply lightly, and do not rub in as if trying to remove dye. Also, be sure to allow dry entirely before buffing.

florent

Reaction score
Renovateur has a cleaning effect, much more than a regular neutral polish. So, as @JFWR, I wouldn't use it on crust. I'd also be careful with reptile leather which don't always retain dyes too well.
But I've used it on hundreds of shoes, including my own over several years, and never had any issue.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does one have to replace a double leather sole after a hole develops on the first layer? I recently noticed my shoes had flaked off a chunk of sole, but there is more leather beneath, not a layer of cork.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does one have to replace a double leather sole after a hole develops on the first layer? I recently noticed my shoes had flaked off a chunk of sole, but there is more leather beneath, not a layer of cork.

that’s the point of the double leather sole, keep wearing it until the whole thing wears down.

Kevin24

Reaction score
IMG_7925.jpg

Can someone tell me how to get rid of the dark circular spots directly below and above the stitching of my sneaker?

I tried Saphir Renovateur, but it did not work. I believe these are liquid stains of some sort.

Thank you again!

Fflam

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find the right size/last for me, and just had these brand new Polo suede chukkas sent over. I'm still a bit on the fence about the fit, but the color works very well with my outfits, so I started thinking maybe I would keep them. But then I noticed two areas of concern on one boot. I don't want to be "that picky guy who expects perfection" but I also don't want to just accept something because I don't know any better. Can anyone help?

The first area of concern is this darkish area near the bottom eyelet - it isn't bald, but I can't smooth it out either (honestly I'm afraid to try too much because I may return the boots). The second is below it - sort of a sunburst pattern more in the center.

These aren't million-dollar shoes, but they are expensive for me, so if either of these issues are defects one shouldn't put up with, it will tip me in favor of returning the shoes, which I am tempted to do anyway based on the fit. If on the other hand it's just something to expect for US$600 boots then I guess I might try to accept them as adding "character."
20220311_BPC_2747 - 01.jpg
20220311_BPC_2751 - 01.jpg
20220311_BPC_2754 - 01.jpg
20220311_BPC_9039 - 01.jpg

I'd also be curious into what might have caused these marks. Is it "just what you get sometimes" based on the suede?

Thank you very much!

florent

Reaction score
View attachment 1764767

Can someone tell me how to get rid of the dark circular spots directly below and above the stitching of my sneaker?

I tried Saphir Renovateur, but it did not work. I believe these are liquid stains of some sort.

Thank you again!
It looks like water/salt stains. You can try to rub it with 50/50 water/white vinegar, and then cream because it will dry the leather

Goofy

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find the right size/last for me, and just had these brand new Polo suede chukkas sent over. I'm still a bit on the fence about the fit, but the color works very well with my outfits, so I started thinking maybe I would keep them. But then I noticed two areas of concern on one boot. I don't want to be "that picky guy who expects perfection" but I also don't want to just accept something because I don't know any better. Can anyone help?

The first area of concern is this darkish area near the bottom eyelet - it isn't bald, but I can't smooth it out either (honestly I'm afraid to try too much because I may return the boots). The second is below it - sort of a sunburst pattern more in the center.

These aren't million-dollar shoes, but they are expensive for me, so if either of these issues are defects one shouldn't put up with, it will tip me in favor of returning the shoes, which I am tempted to do anyway based on the fit. If on the other hand it's just something to expect for US$600 boots then I guess I might try to accept them as adding "character." View attachment 1764879 View attachment 1764880 View attachment 1764881 View attachment 1764882

I'd also be curious into what might have caused these marks. Is it "just what you get sometimes" based on the suede?

Thank you very much!
Suede can have natural imperfections, but I’d personally return them given the extent. People might notice it and think you messed up during your bathroom brake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads