• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried applying some neutral cream to the soles, as some websites suggest to ‘nourish’ the leather, but it made it more slippy on hard floors. Some suggest using neutral polish but I’m certainly not doing that as I don’t want to take a tumble! I might just leave it dry but some say dry leather soles soaks up wet and shortens its life?

There is really no definitive answer to this question.

The Saphir sole oil does work to repel water, though. It quite obviously beads water, rather than soaks it in; however, I am not sure that is in any sense a positive thing or not.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
How should you take care of leather soles? Should you apply shoe cream or conditioner to the sole regularly? Will it improve water resistance when walking on damp ground?
I usually apply very small amount of cream to moisturize the sole if I consider it to be too dry (read, before it starts to break into pieces and generate small holes). I think this extends the lifespan of the sole without making it slippery.

willyto

Reaction score
I use neutral shoe cream, only one application but yes, it makes the sole very slippery the first wear once it starts getting worn out after a bit walking it's just fine.

RegularlyExpressed

Reaction score
Hi all! New here, hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I recently bought two pairs (one brown, one black) of this pair of nubuck leather shoes and need a bit of help keeping them in good condition. I've attached pictures showing their current states.

BlackShoe1.jpg BlackShoe2.jpg BrownShoe1.jpg BrownShoe2.jpg
I bought and tried to use this brush but despite it being listed as appropriate for nubuck it seemed to leave visible scratch marks on the brown pair. I'm not sure if there's a problem with my technique or if I've simply bought the wrong product.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
Hi all! New here, hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I recently bought two pairs (one brown, one black) of this pair of nubuck leather shoes and need a bit of help keeping them in good condition. I've attached pictures showing their current states.

View attachment 1789865 View attachment 1789866 View attachment 1789867 View attachment 1789868
I bought and tried to use this brush but despite it being listed as appropriate for nubuck it seemed to leave visible scratch marks on the brown pair. I'm not sure if there's a problem with my technique or if I've simply bought the wrong product.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
I'd try to avoid those metal brushes and use a nubuck rubber bar or / and crepe nubuck brush instead. Many people have ruined their suede and nubuck shoes with those metal brushes.

Nubuck generally is very easy leather to maintain. First a standard horsehair brush is used to remove excess dirt and then a rubber bar is used to remove stubborn dirt / stains etc. Finally a crepe brush is used to restore the nap of the suede / nubuck. After that you can apply protector spray if you wish.

Great boots, don't destroy them with a metal brush.

https://saphir.com/product/suede-crepe-brush/

Edit: I'd also suggest that you invest in shoe trees.

Last edited:

RegularlyExpressed

Reaction score
I'd try to avoid those metal brushes and use a nubuck rubber bar or / and crepe nubuck brush instead. Many people have ruined their suede and nubuck shoes with those metal brushes.

Nubuck generally is very easy leather to maintain. First a standard horsehair brush is used to remove excess dirt and then a rubber bar is used to remove stubborn dirt / stains etc. Finally a crepe brush is used to restore the nap of the suede / nubuck. After that you can apply protector spray if you wish.

Great boots, don't destroy them with a metal brush.

https://saphir.com/product/suede-crepe-brush/

Edit: I'd also suggest that you invest in shoe trees.

Thanks! I ended up ordering this brush as it's a little cheaper.

CWL317

Reaction score
How important is it to have GW shoes factory-resoled on the correct last? Would use of a non-specific last (ie if resoled by an independent) cause a shoe to lose its original shape?

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
How important is it to have GW shoes factory-resoled on the correct last? Would use of a non-specific last (ie if resoled by an independent) cause a shoe to lose its original shape?
Not important at all since the shape will not be affected when the existing stitching is followed during the resoling process. A good cobbler knows this and tries to do the resoling without changing the fit of the upper.

CWL317

Reaction score
Not important at all since the shape will not be affected when the existing stitching is followed during the resoling process. A good cobbler knows this and tries to do the resoling without changing the fit of the upper.
Good to know. Then I wonder why they refuse to factory refurbish if previously worked on by a 3rd party independent? Are there any brands that allow it?

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
Good to know. Then I wonder why they refuse to factory refurbish if previously worked on by a 3rd party independent? Are there any brands that allow it?
Might be because if done wrong by a 3rd party, it may cause them extra work to correct the mistakes, or in the worst case, the shoe has been completely ruined making it impossible to fix. Therefore, always try to find a skilled cobbler even if it happens to cost some more. If done right, the resoling process can be repeated multiple times without destroying the uppers and if done wrong, the first time can ruin the upper and change the fit.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because they want to charge their own prices and they don't want you getting better service elsewhere.

CWL317

Reaction score
Might be because if done wrong by a 3rd party, it may cause them extra work to correct the mistakes, or in the worst case, the shoe has been completely ruined making it impossible to fix. Therefore, always try to find a skilled cobbler even if it happens to cost some more. If done right, the resoling process can be repeated multiple times without destroying the uppers and if done wrong, the first time can ruin the upper and change the fit.
I can understand, but it would be good if they had a list of approved cobblers, similar to authorized watchmakers for watch brands, to do independent work without voiding acceptance for factory repairs.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand, but it would be good if they had a list of approved cobblers, similar to authorized watchmakers for watch brands, to do independent work without voiding acceptance for factory repairs.

I think Alden does that with B. Nelson.

Honestly, the problem with going back to the factory is they remove the welt, which means it basically destroys the purpose of having a GYW shoe to some extent, bercause they just nail more holes into the upper by putting on a new welt.

CWL317

Reaction score
new question…

does anyone know if Crockett & Jones offer a flush toe plate installation service?

I have a pair of unworn Audley that I bought a year ago and would like to fit them with toe plates before I wear them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaidenFolish