• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I said, it is possible to justify short-sightedness and indifference in endless ways....

Think of bending a coat hanger in one spot. Do it enough times and the steel will break. (Of course leather won't break...at least not right away.)

But no matter how cleverly you straighten the wire, the next time you try to bend it in the general vicinity, it will want...try...to bend at the original spot. In fact, it will be nearly impossible to bend it in a different spot.

Leather behaves similarly. The fibers spread apart and bonds between those fibers break. This happens to the fibers of the insole, the uppers, and the stiffeners--every part of the shoe, IOW.

You can, as with the coat hanger, straighten it out--flatten the creases and make them "look" like the crease never happened. But it's a kludge--the creases are still there; the fiber bonds still broken. And all the surrounding leather still resistant to flexing.

The only people fooled are the inexperienced, the salesman-of-a-cobbler, and the unsuspecting customer.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People will buy what they want. I'm not here to gainsay that. I'm simply offering decades and decades of insights, drawn from decades and decades of intimate, personal, hands-on, real life experience--with leather, with feet, with shoes and with fitting shoes to feet.

As a foil to ignorant and subjective speculation.

When it comes to the human body...and the foot, in particular...what can be tolerated or perhaps even feels acceptably comfortable at 21, can come back to haunt you at 40 or 60.

I broke my neck trying to throw a triple somersault on a trampoline when I was 17 or 18. It was a green-stick and despite the severe pain, I never even saw a doctor. I was indestructible and dismissive. ("Do the name Ruby Begonia strike a familiah note?")

I healed and spent the next thirty-five years without knowing any reason for the sometimes severe "migraines" I would experience. It wasn't until an x-ray revealed the old fracture that the connection was made.

At 70+, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't fully understand what my blithe, I-know-better, (ignorance, really) dismissal ultimately cost.

I have a similar story about used shoes and my own feet, but I've already told that story (several times) and those that could learn from it did.

Those that could not...well, it's evolution in action, isn't it?

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I said, it is possible to justify short-sightedness and indifference in endless ways....

Think of bending coat hanger in one spot. Do it enough times and the steel will break. (Of course leather won't break...at least not right away.)

But no matter how cleverly you straighten the wire, the next time you try to bend it in the general vicinity, it will want...try...to bend at the original spot. In fact, it will be nearly impossible to bend it in a different spot.

Leather behaves similarly. The fibers spread apart and bonds between those fibers break. This happens to the fibers of the insole, the uppers, and the stiffeners--every part of the shoe, IOW.

You can, as with the coat hanger, straighten it out--flatten the creases and make them "look" like the crease never happened. But it's a kludge--the creases are still there; the fiber bonds still broken. And all the surrounding leather still resistant to flexing.

The only people fooled are the inexperienced, the salesman-of-a-cobbler, and the unsuspecting customer.

No, you on your soapbox preaching about things that are not possible but really are, you are blind-sighted. Just because you are not capable of producing very good results doesn't mean it can't be done. The comments posted regarding your detriments of buying used shoes, basically insulting people, calling it a waste of money prove you wrong.

I'll add, again I'm not a fan but, there are various reasons.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I invariably explain the reasons, the rationales, the logic, and the "scientific" principles that inform my observations.

You never do.

Simply because you don't have the experience or the insight that comes from actually doing the work and making critical, deliberate and mindful analyses of the materials, and the techniques...and the problems...associated with these issues.

There is nothing more insulting...not just to me, but to your audience...than assuming that others don't need an explanation--that your entirely subjective speculation is all that needs to be said simply because it comes from you. You who, by comparison, have no legitimate credentials to speak on these matters.

That's not only ignorant it is arrogant

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a decent shoe stretching device? My local cobbler is not very good to say the least, and the wooden stretchers I bought on eBay are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, if I were you, I'd send a cease & desist asap before the new owner gets a lifetime of unbearable pain over this pre-owned pair

Screenshot_20180609-131520_eBay.jpg

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^By that logic, every maker or manufacturer whose shoes are being sold on Ebay should send out a cease and desist order...esp. if their shoes are certifiably hurting someone's feet...as was detailed in the original post by @SartorialStudent . And the reason I responded.

Maybe "there ought to be a law"...if only to protect people against themselves.

FWIW, and to be clear I have nothing at all to do with that sale.

Nor do I necessarily approve. As could be easily determined by even the most cursory reading of my posts here.

And also FWIW, I do a trial fitting of very pair of boots and the customer must sign off/approve the fit before I will make the boots.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^By that logic, every maker or manufacturer whose shoes are being sold on Ebay should send out a cease and desist order...esp. if their shoes are certifiably hurting someone's feet...as was detailed in the original post by @SartorialStudent . And the reason I responded.

Maybe "there ought to be a law"...if only to protect people against themselves.

FWIW, and to be clear I have nothing at all to do with that sale.

Nor do I necessarily approve. As could be determine by even the most cursory reading of my posts here.

And also FWIW, I do a trial fitting of very pair of boots and the customer must sign off/approve the fit before I will make the boots.

I hear ya man, I'm not really trying to throw shade at you with pulling up a used for sale pair of your making (which is clearly super dope) - nor am I trying to insinuate that you actually take any kind of action - but you're coming off a little tone deaf to all the reasons people buy used shoes. I know that ultimately that you're coming from a good place and I respect that.

Obviously people know that they're not getting a pair of new shoes with all the benefits that come from them. But it's also about people on the other side getting some of their money back if they change their mind on something, or being able to try out a new style or having more fun without a huge investment, or folks wanting to buy something with more quality than they can afford brand new (new pair aldo vs used AEs?). Is that so wrong?

As far as my personal experience with fit and damaging long-term health - I have many pairs of used shoes, and tbh I don't really experience issues between those and the pairs I've had since new that amount to more than switching between brands, lasts, and styles. It's all going to fit my foot differently and mold to my feet in different ways. I accept that, so I don't mind an uneven footbed here and there.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And here's another FWIW, for what it's worth--the person looking to sell a pair of used shoes is trying to recoup some of the money spent on an item that didn't suit him. He's looking for monetary advantage.

The person looking to buy a pair of used shoes is trying to save money on a shoe that he either can't or simply doesn't want to afford. He's looking for an advantage.

The person trying to sell someone a repair job, esp. one he doesn't really and completely understand is looking to make a sale. He's looking for an advantage.

I am, for all intents and purposes, in retirement but my career is making bespoke footwear. Despite that, I am not promoting my business here, nor selling bespoke shoes. And I am trying to discourage people buying used footwear (and second-hand problems).

Where's the advantage?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hear ya man, I'm not really trying to throw shade at you with pulling up a used for sale pair of your making (which is clearly super dope) - nor am I trying to insinuate that you actually take any kind of action - but you're coming off a little tone deaf to all the reasons people buy used shoes. I know that ultimately that you're coming from a good place and I respect that.

Obviously people know that they're not getting a pair of new shoes with all the benefits that come from them. But it's also about people on the other side getting some of their money back if they change their mind on something, or being able to try out a new style or having more fun without a huge investment, or folks wanting to buy something with more quality than they can afford brand new (new pair aldo vs used AEs?). Is that so wrong?

As far as my personal experience with fit and damaging long-term health - I have many pairs of used shoes, and tbh I don't really experience issues between those and the pairs I've had since new that amount to more than switching between brands, lasts, and styles. It's all going to fit my foot differently and mold to my feet in different ways. I accept that, so I don't mind an uneven footbed here and there.

OK...but what part of "People will buy what they want. I'm not here to gainsay that. I'm simply offering decades and decades of insights, drawn from decades and decades of intimate, personal, hands-on, real life experience--with leather, with feet, with shoes and with fitting shoes to feet" don't you understand?

I ask that in all seriousness and with all due respect.

Because that paragraph nearly defines everything I am about on this forum--helping people make intelligent choices with regard to shoes and fit. I believe in taking responsibility for one's own decisions. Part and parcel of that is informing one's self and at the heart of that is legitimate information.

Beyond that I didn't just pop in here to ding people about what shoes they buy...I was answering a question posed by @SartorialStudent.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Time to start a seperate thread for DWFII and Nick V. to take their intellectual discussions away from this thread.

I don't have to point out but it is evident that one of these gentlemen never misses an opportunity to have a go at the other person. Now I don't know if he has the technical kmow how or not. I don't really care. But as a cobbler or a shoe repair person because of his mannerism and demeanor he would have recived none of my business.

These keeps happening periodically. And I have to request you to please grow up as a person. We are here to hear different points of view and make our own decisions and watch the spectacle of one craftsman ridiculing the other.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I don't believe it's as one-sided as you make out. In fact, I have been shocked at times at the negative way in which some seemingly popular and well respected characters communicate with other SF members. I would imagine that all parties concerned are far nicer in real life.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
In any case this constant quarreling is a distraction. They need to handle their discussions like grown ups.
I described it the way it appeared to me. I could be wrong.

P.S. I have never done any business with either of them.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really appreciate and respect the comments written in posts 21583/83/84.
No, I'm not insulted by any of it.
I was fortunate enough to be at the Belmont this evening. Saw a triple crown winner, live.
Baffert, Justified's trainer, never rode a horse. But, to imply since He never rode a horse he is not credible is ridiculous.
Just like for anyone to print that because i don't do the work (over, and,over and,over) again is old and stale.
I enjoy sharing my experiences in this forum and will happily continue to do so, for free......just because I enjoy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads