• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Rick Owens Thread***

fishtacologin

Reaction score
Can short guys pull off pod shorts or is it hopeless?

fishtacologin

Reaction score
well, justin bieber is most responsible for popularizing the drop-crotch, and he is short.
I guess what I should ask myself then is "would I be OK with looking like j biebs?". I suppose that wouldn't be too bad if it meant I could stay reasonably cool in the summer with some pod shorts.

On a side note, can anyone comment on the fit of Memphis jeans? I've heard they are very skinny, but just how skinny? If I am a size 1 in Julius knit denim and other bottoms, would I be a 30 or 29 in Memphis?

tellure

Reaction score
In the last couple years I've been getting more into RO denim since I like the fit (Berlin cut, the others are too skinny for me) and some of the washes/treatments are pretty interesting. However I have to say the quality of the denim itself is just atrocious.

Here's one example.. these are a coated black denim that started fraying almost right away. First the thin plasticky pocket bags tore out where they attach to the top of the pockets, then the coin pocket tore, then the crotch, then the knee, then panel above the back pocket, then the dart on the thigh, then the other knee. And this is from very light wear - maybe a couple times a week for 6 months mainly just walking and sitting in an air conditioned office. Nothing compared to what most denim-heads do to their japanese denim to fade it. Heck I wore my Dior's almost nonstop for like 2 years and never had a single tear.

I kept taking this pair to a specialized denim shop and had patches added to fix the tears and fortify areas that were about to tear, but ultimately I had to stop because I had spent almost $200 on repairs for a pair of jeans I bought for $200, and there were still new tears appearing.

Ok, I thought maybe it's just this run of denim, maybe the fabric they used this particular year wasn't so good, I'll try again. So I picked up a new pair on ebay in a different wash (not coated). And what do you know.. pocket corners start fraying, the thigh dart pops open, and then the button fly tears (seriously, the fly?).

How can they charge $400+ for this level of quality? Even buying on a steep discount it's not a very good deadl.. I feel like I'm buying a pair of jeans that will last me one season at best. Heck my second pair hasn't even lasted that long before I'm shelling out more money on repairs.

I really like the washes and the cut but god damn if these aren't designed to fall apart in a few months.

Last edited:

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the last couple years I've been getting more into RO denim since I like the fit (Berlin cut, the others are too skinny for me) and some of the washes/treatments are pretty interesting. However I have to say the quality of the denim itself is just atrocious.

Here's one example.. these are a coated black denim that started fraying almost right away. First the thin plasticky pocket bags tore out where they attach to the top of the pockets, then the coin pocket tore, then the crotch, then the knee, then panel above the back pocket, then the dart on the thigh, then the other knee. And this is from very light wear - maybe a couple times a week for 6 months mainly just walking and sitting in an air conditioned office. Nothing compared to what most denim-heads do to their japanese denim to fade it. Heck I wore my Dior's almost nonstop for like 2 years and never had a single tear.

I kept taking this pair to a specialized denim shop and had patches added to fix the tears and fortify areas that were about to tear, but ultimately I had to stop because I had spent almost $200 on repairs for a pair of jeans I bought for $200, and there were still new tears appearing.

Ok, I thought maybe it's just this run of denim, maybe the fabric they used this particular year wasn't so good, I'll try again. So I picked up a new pair on ebay in a different wash (not coated). And what do you know.. pocket corners start fraying, the thigh dart pops open, and then the button fly tears (seriously, the fly?).

How can they charge $400+ for this level of quality? Even buying on a steep discount it's not a very good deadl.. I feel like I'm buying a pair of jeans that will last me one season at best. Heck my second pair hasn't even lasted that long before I'm shelling out more money on repairs.

I really like the washes and the cut but god damn if these aren't designed to fall apart in a few months.

in a way, i'm envious of your problem. i wear a suit everyday to the office and wear my designer clothes like... when i go out for dinner once a week and on the weekends.. if i go out. i have a couple pairs of jeans so even if the quality was really so bad, it would take years before it showed up for me.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality is suspect to begin with, but the washes really destroy the integrity of the denim.

tellure

Reaction score
Yeah I agree the washes really hurt it, but heck even just a coated denim? A coating shouldn't do much to hurt the integrity. Heck I have a pair of black-coated Pure Blue Japan's that still look brand new after wearing them every other day for months.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My heavily washed jeans have disintegrated but the black 97% cotton 3% elastane jeans are the best I've ever owned I rotate 3 pairs

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got these from Ink at 527 bucks plus shipping. Incredible deal, considering than on secondary market beaten up ones sell higher than that.

Two more items from my RO mini collection
satisfied.gif

Last edited:

Jbravo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were on 40% discount and, on top of that, if you order from Europe you are charged the lowest price (compared to America, Asia, etc).

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Got these from Ink at 527 bucks plus shipping. Incredible deal, considering than on secondary market beaten up ones sell higher than that.
Two more items from my RO mini collection :satisfied:
damn nice Kops buddy, i really like that waxed denim jacket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads