• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Brian SD

Reaction score
cJQmN.jpg
I didn't notice any of it live, but watching the fight now, it's clear how much of Shields' 'striking' was just cheap shots. That's the most obvious evidence I could find a picture of, but there are quite a lot of offending shots. Would like to see GSP call him out on it but I really doubt GSP is the type to stir controversy like that.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fans were hard on GSP after the fight but i rewatched it and seriously?

GSP absolutely toyed with him in the beginning, Shields had nothing, GSP was going for the strikes all the way, then got his eye poked and still dominated with one eye.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Nice: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...d12e7495855ded

Edgar Maynard off for UFC 130. Rampage v. Hamill and Mir vs. Nelson are now main events.

I don't know what it is, but there have been a lot of guy getting hurt in training camp lately.

I actually like the Rampage/Hamill matchup a lot.

Nelson v Mir I expect to be awesome too, with fatass coming out on top.

Definitely ordering this card.

Barnabus

Reaction score
The eye is a very small target .Factor that with the fact the person is moving and it becomes even harder to hit unintentionally. Jake had to have deliberately been aiming for it and practicing it during camp to be able to pull it off that well.

I've trained with mma fighters in the past and i never once saw any of them poke each others eyes during all those training sessions and i've never once done it myself in over a decade of training

The guys a dirty bastard plain and simple.You can even see him in those gifs looking to see if his fingers are going in his eye. LOL

mfrege

Reaction score
No doubt he is a dirty bastard. But:

Originally Posted by Barnabus
The eye is a very small target .

The eye is a pretty big and easy target when you factor in five fingers, so whether he was necessarily practicing it or not I don't know.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Jake does train with Chuck "The Eyes-man" Liddell.

Barnabus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfrege
No doubt he is a dirty bastard. But:

The eye is a pretty big and easy target when you factor in five fingers, so whether he was necessarily practicing it or not I don't know.

For most of those attacks minus the raking pitch slap poke to the eye he was using solely his thumb
ffffuuuu.gif

gsppoke2_medium.jpg

In this one you can see him keeping all of his fingers closed minus his thumb. they don't teach you that in boxing or muay thai i can say that much.
laugh.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ How come people aren't making this a bigger deal? I really don't like this "scrap pack" gym that Melendez, Diaz, Diaz and Shields.

Also, I didn't hear from anyone else who watched the fight, but did anyone give Shields a round, because I didn't (just restating).

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slopho-

most of those guys come into practice injured. The train hard and injury is part of the job. I believe if they have more fights they would get injured less because they wouldn't have to push themselves they way they do in training.
It's kind of backwards but they train harder to compensate for lack of "real" ring time.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awfully counterintuitive but I can see how it makes sense. So really the only thing keeping these guys from fighting once a month is the UFC's schedule/payroll?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually not that difficult to get raked in the eyes if your opponent has his hands open, and is not really looking to land, but just to catch and counter, or, in Jake's case, catch and clinch. It's happened to me a fair number of times over the years. It's just one of those unfortunate things about using the open fingered gloves.

Re. Jake in particular, I dunno. Although his friends are assholes, he has always had a reputation as a decent guy.

I did like seeing Rory MacDonald supplex Nate Diaz 3 times in under a minute though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads