• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried out Son of a Gun yesterday. The fried chicken sandwich was really good, so was the shrimp toast. Also had Hiramasa (raw yellowtail) with mojo de ajo, red onion and sunchoke.

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
ive always been a fan of Hole Mole, a long beach chain, for fish tacos. mainly because its so close to school and fish tacos are $1 after 7pm

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ate at Cafe Brasil on Venice. Just had their lunch special...any particular standouts there? I liked the food today though, very homey....got some of the hot sauce and the hot peppers mix...great stuff. I've had the Fejoda a long time ago but didn't really dig it plus it was $16 for a single serving, which was a bit pricy for what it was.
5655510920_ccba8d390b_z.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that looks great. i've got to check it out...was right there on Thursday night. oh well...next time. that chorizo looks great. passed La Estrella on york like 3x last saturday but I had already eaten....at least its on the radar.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, Society of the Spectacles in Eagle Rock..... worth a look?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
Just wrote a post on what I've found are the best carne asada tacos in LA. I dare you to find better. Mexicali Taco & Co.
I'll agree with this one. The Cachetada is pretty damn delicious. I went there once when the fish taco guy (Ricky, I believe) was there also but he was sold out :/

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
Just wrote a post on what I've found are the best carne asada tacos in LA. I dare you to find better.

Mexicali Taco & Co.

WOW, looks awesome
worship.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Need to stop by for tacos, pare you down?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i finally move out of LA i will miss this the most
5659160741_f830a5abdb_z.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It might be of some interest to some.

Papaya King Is Coming to Hollywood

The 80-year-old NYC hot dog chain plans to open on Wilcox in mid-2011.

New York transplants, rejoice. Papaya King, the popular 80-year-old hot dog chain, is opening a shop in Hollywood this year.

Los Angeles-based sbe announced Papaya King's midyear opening in a press release sent Wednesday morning.

The location on Wilcox Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard marks Papaya King's first presence on the West Coast. The eatery is moving into a space that is approximately 400 square feet.

"Collaborating with sbe to launch Papaya King in Hollywood represents another exciting step in our brand's long and storied history," Wayne Rosenbaum of Papaya King said in a statement. "We think the history and character of the location is a great fit for Papaya King and we can't wait to become part of Hollywood.

"Papaya King is an iconic American treasure and having an opportunity to bring the brand to Hollywood is an absolute honor," said Sam Nazarian, sbe founder, chairman and CEO.

To celebrate, the chain that made a meal of a hot dog and a tropical drink acceptable, will send Papaya King hot dog trucks to the streets of Southern California in April and May to give away thousands of free hot dogs, according to the press release. Details will be made available on the company's Twitter and Facebook sites.

Sbe intends to add Papaya King locations in Nevada, Arizona and Miami in the future, according to the release.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
the one in the farmer's market is not bad (bobs?). not really a doughnut expert but they have them available, with a nice selection and its across the street.

Quality has gone down over the past few years. I usually stop by for a Long John and the custard's been sour 8/10 times, resulting in stomach issues and rancid pooping later. I don't know why I still try, but maybe in the hopes they'll turn it around and return to their deliciousness from a time apparently gone.

There's also a Yum's at Vine & Melrose or Beverly, depends on if you like chain donuts or not. I'm sure there's a Winchell's or three. I don't think it's too far, but ET's on Crenshaw & Venice is fun.

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Need to stop by for tacos, pare you down?

outta town this weekend-- down for mexicali nxt week tho!

also, finally got to try wolvesmouth this weekend... pretty awesome dude

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had umami again on hollywood in los feliz. had the truffle burger. can say i was really really impressed. the regular burger was only so so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads