• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we used to make trips to visit family in Mumbai, we would always make it a point to visit the Chinese restaurants there, as the Chinese food there had significantly more flavor than what we could find here. Glad to have more options now on this side of the world.

The first Indochen is actually in my neighborhood, Cameron Station in Alexandria! Old Town was the second, and I think there are plans to open a third. Highly recommended.
My fav comfort food is Singapore Noodles. Great Chinese dish with curry and such.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts on where to buy a decent ugly christmas sweater? I am looking for 100% wool or a wool/cotton blend. I got a bunch of acrylic junk when I searched for "luxury ugly christmas sweater".

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts on where to buy a decent ugly christmas sweater? I am looking for 100% wool or a wool/cotton blend. I got a bunch of acrylic junk when I searched for "luxury ugly christmas sweater".
Ooof, this is such a pet peeve of mine, I have a lot of thoughts.... I will try to summarize.

Ugly Christmas sweaters go against pretty much everything in my sartorial "book" from the prevalence of artificial materials, the similarities to "fast fashion", the seemingly disposable nature (e.g trendiness; this year its Mandalorian, last year was Game of Thrones..... ), ugh, they just rub me the wrong way.

On the topic, a recent article from an menswear blog that preaches buy hi quality, buy less.... had a highlighted article about their favorite ugly Christmas sweaters.... all but one were 100% acrylic. Such an antitheses of the buy good quality, buy less, create less waste mantra....

Having got that off my chest, you did ask a question.

Finding all natural material "ugly Christmas sweaters" is hard, as you stated, most are acrylic....

A Fair Isle in festive colors is a decent option:
or

I have a wintery/Nordic themed sweater (all wool) I bought in Estonia years ago, similar to these:

There's also these:

or more broadly:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my sweaters are either hand knit arans, Inis Meain, or Scottish cashmere or shawl cardigans. Some people might consider them ugly. My wife makes fun of some of them. Never going ugly. But, I do agree that Fair Island sweaters are ugly.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Date night at Big Buns Damn Good Burgers in Shirlington. I enjoyed the food, think I'll pay them another visit next Saturday...

Cross-posting - DBF overshirt, Scott & Charters sweater, Rota pants, Sozzi socks, Gaziano & Girling loafers, and Black Ox porter.
De Bonne Facture Overshirt Plum Check_Scott & Charters Cable Knit Goblin_dinner.jpg
Rota Grey Cavalry_Sozzi Blue_G&G Crompton Rioja Hatch Grain_restaurant.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone check out the boat parade tonight?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to play in SF's Secret Santa? I did it last year. I was Fok's Secret Santa. @Jr Mouse

Aeschylus

Reaction score
Apologies, as I'm sure I missed many great suggestions in the previous 900-ish pages of posts, but I recently moved to the area, and I am looking for an alterations tailor. What would you all suggest?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies, as I'm sure I missed many great suggestions in the previous 900-ish pages of posts, but I recently moved to the area, and I am looking for an alterations tailor. What would you all suggest?
I work downtown and have used Geoffrey Lewis since 2007. Superlative work. 15th & H.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to play in SF's Secret Santa? I did it last year. I was Fok's Secret Santa. @Jr Mouse

I was on the fence with the thriftmas one simply because those guys find so much amazing stuff. I wasn’t sure I could meet the same level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads