• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they were the same thing?
782848.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scurvy, most scotch is not peated. Avoid the Islays and Highland Park and you'll mostly be fine.

Templeton Rye was indeed caught lying.
Balvenie is a nice honeyed Scotch. Very smooth and amazing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has this. Quite the festive dram.

Why avoid the best smokey and peaty scotch in the world. Embrace the funk and head to Islay
I've had some "out West" whiskey and some of it is quite good. Good stuff all over. Some nice Virginia stuff (I feel obligated to say that I am a Northerner living in NoVa and not a real Fuhr-gin-yun).

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I am an absolute whore for peat, smoke, sherry, and proof. Give me that hazmat stuff. I have far too many random independent-bottler single barrels because I love the variety and lack of consistency, too.

I am just saying for Scurvy, that avoiding scotch because you don't like peat is like avoiding going outside because you don't like getting wet. There're easy ways to avoid the part you don't like without avoiding the entire whole. Most days are dry and most scotches are unpeated. Though it might be easy to miss because there's so much industry focus on the in-your-face stuff (peated, sherry, high proof, etc) but despite that most of the bottles on the shelf are not peated.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer whatever high west is making these days. I have no desire to buy other bourbons/whiskeys for my collection.

The mid winters dram is my guilty treat!!!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will actually be in Salt Lake in April for work. Not sure if I will make it to Park city or not. We shall see.

jssdc

Reaction score
Has anyone had flush metal toe taps installed in DC recently? I hadn’t bought a new pair of shoes since like 2018 and recently bought three, but it looks like a lot of the cobblers I was familiar with have gone out of business in the interim, or like sky valet got out of the repairs business.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sky no longer resoles shoes? That's news to me. Although the last time I brought in a pair was before the pandemic.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sky no longer resoles shoes? That's news to me. Although the last time I brought in a pair was before the pandemic.
Huh. I hadn't heard that. Headed up to NYC tomorrow for the Hopper exhibit and will try to make it to C&J store. I think it will be 8 degrees and windy when we arrive. Yikes. Likely not much Central Park walking this trip.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikesusan12