• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Edwardthomlin

Reaction score
Hi all! Longtime lurker. First time caller. I was reading Permanent Style and came across this bespoke shoemaker that’s opening a shop soon in Old Town Alexandria. I thought I’d share the news in case anyone is interested: https://oldhouseprovisions.com/.

Side note: I’ve done MTM tailoring locally with Ralph Lauren Purple Label and considered Sid Mashburn. Has anyone had a good bespoke experience with any traveling tailors? I have an appointment with Anderson & Sheppard in April. I was also considering Dalcuore when they return in the Summer. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Longtime lurker. First time caller. I was reading Permanent Style and came across this bespoke shoemaker that’s opening a shop soon in Old Town Alexandria. I thought I’d share the news in case anyone is interested: https://oldhouseprovisions.com/.

Side note: I’ve done MTM tailoring locally with Ralph Lauren Purple Label and considered Sid Mashburn. Has anyone had a good bespoke experience with any traveling tailors? I have an appointment with Anderson & Sheppard in April. I was also considering Dalcuore when they return in the Summer. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts!

Anderson & Sheppard only come once or twice per year. It’ll take forever to get a finished garment!

Dalcuore comes pretty regularly. I tried them early on, but they’re not for me. Results were less than ideal but it was during Covid & it was a long lay off. For me, they’re overpriced & the old maestro passed away. My suit was cut by Gigi, btw. The trousers never fit. They like them tight. I couldn’t move in them & they blamed me.

They insisted on full payment, saying they’d bring the final garment, when I got there it was still in a fitting stage!

Jacket not fitting could be chalked up to Covid. Trousers never fit, even in fitting stages. From the first fitting, it was evident the quads didn’t fit. I asked them to let it out & it kept coming back the same. I ordered 2 odd trousers & a suit. One of my odd trousers even went missing!

They ignored my messages until I showed up on their doorstep in Napoli! Found the trousers & they, of course, didn’t fit. They said they’d make an adjustment & send it to me or Cristina would bring it to Washington. It’s been a year, and they still haven’t sent the trousers & Cristina has been back 3 or 4 times.

Perhaps my experience with Dalcuore was a one off, but I’ve just accepted they swindled me out of 5200€ & moved on with my life. At this point, I’m not even upset that it didn’t fit right, I’m more upset with the lack of honesty & integrity on their part.

Oh yeah, and for the first fitting, I ordered a db suit. They arrived with a sb suit. Insisted I ordered a sb, until I showed them screenshots of my confirming the details of the db jacket (6x2). (I repeat: honesty & integrity are major issues for me.)

Needless to say, from my experience, I cannot recommend them.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, looks great!

Flannel? If so, really need it today, but I think we might be getting close to that time when the flannel gets put to the back of the closet....

Second, a question. How do you feel about braces with a knit? I mean obvious you're doing it.

I prefer braces to a belt... especially with a suit. But sometime dress he suit down with a roll neck, or knit polo, but have always thought it a bit weird to wear braces with a knit. Something in my brain says don't do it.

Last thought, I also miss Eidos, but honestly, Carrara (for the tailoring piece) really fills the gap here, price point, quality, and Greg's eye for fabrics, its a winner.
Thank you sir! I appreciate that.

I get cold and stay cold easily, and I have experienced many manic Aprils and Mays here, so my flannels and tweeds and corduroys will be in the front of my closet for a while longer! But I'll probably start mixing them with my linen Inis Meáin sweaters :)

As far as my use of braces yesterday - that was actually a first, I also just wear them with button-down shirts. I just felt like doing something different. This was a pique polo, though. I don't think I'd wear them with actual knits, as I'd be concerned about the metal adjusters snagging on the yarns.

I agree that Sartoria Carrara is great, and Greg & team's selections are Wow!, but it just doesn't click with me. Maybe my Eidos stuff already fills the bill that SC is currently covering, and I actually really enjoy Ring Jackets. I sold my one SC (the Fox Air gun club SB) to a forum member here last year; I don't miss it, and do not think I will purchase anymore, either RTW or MTO (unfortunately, or maybe fortunately). Of course this is how I feel now, and I could warm up to SC in the future.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score

Do you have a link to the PS article?

Also, I can't find an address for Old House Provisions on their site or from Google.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to have clothes…. To wear to concerts. 😜
Haha, I think I may sit this year out for clothes and stick with concert tickets. I'm still looking to see Cyndi Lauper and Jenny and the Mexicats. I may have to book a flight overseas for those two.

Edwardthomlin

Reaction score
Anderson & Sheppard only come once or twice per year. It’ll take forever to get a finished garment!

Dalcuore comes pretty regularly. I tried them early on, but they’re not for me. Results were less than ideal but it was during Covid & it was a long lay off. For me, they’re overpriced & the old maestro passed away. My suit was cut by Gigi, btw. The trousers never fit. They like them tight. I couldn’t move in them & they blamed me.

They insisted on full payment, saying they’d bring the final garment, when I got there it was still in a fitting stage!

Jacket not fitting could be chalked up to Covid. Trousers never fit, even in fitting stages. From the first fitting, it was evident the quads didn’t fit. I asked them to let it out & it kept coming back the same. I ordered 2 odd trousers & a suit. One of my odd trousers even went missing!

They ignored my messages until I showed up on their doorstep in Napoli! Found the trousers & they, of course, didn’t fit. They said they’d make an adjustment & send it to me or Cristina would bring it to Washington. It’s been a year, and they still haven’t sent the trousers & Cristina has been back 3 or 4 times.

Perhaps my experience with Dalcuore was a one off, but I’ve just accepted they swindled me out of 5200€ & moved on with my life. At this point, I’m not even upset that it didn’t fit right, I’m more upset with the lack of honesty & integrity on their part.

Oh yeah, and for the first fitting, I ordered a db suit. They arrived with a sb suit. Insisted I ordered a sb, until I showed them screenshots of my confirming the details of the db jacket (6x2). (I repeat: honesty & integrity are major issues for me.)

Needless to say, from my experience, I cannot recommend them.

I appreciate the thorough recap of your experience with Dalcuore! It makes me hesitate to commission a jacket with them. Is there a tailor who you’ve had a good experience with via trunk shows? I have done the mental math and an A&S commission will probably take over a year (including making time to travel to London and NY for at least two of the fittings)…

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the thorough recap of your experience with Dalcuore! It makes me hesitate to commission a jacket with them. Is there a tailor who you’ve had a good experience with via trunk shows? I have done the mental math and an A&S commission will probably take over a year (including making time to travel to London and NY for at least two of the fittings)…
I've had good results with Steed but that comes through consistently making orders over a 10-year period. With any tailor they make mistakes from time to time, but they will go above and beyond to make any corrections needed to see that you are happy and satisfied. Also, a year for bespoke is quite common when first starting out and not something you want to rush.

Unless you are really enthusiastic about clothes, and ready to weather the storm I would recommend going MTM through Nomanwalksalone. They offer an awesome product at an affordable price.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone’s bespoke journey is different. It’s hard for me to recommend a tailor without knowing you & what you like. That said, I’ll do my best to answer it.

For now, I travel to see them. It makes my life easier (I don’t have to think about when they’re coming to New York & I can go when I have time). Plus trips to Italy can be had for under 500 round trip. It’s a good excuse to travel.

But, I think traveling to New York will be your best bet for trunk shows. I’ve talked to tailors. Most of them say they don’t visit DC because people in DC visit them in New York.
Tailors that I quite like that visit New York: qemal selimi, sartoria Ciccio, b&tailor, Dylan & sons, Marco Cerrato (he only makes trousers), Steven Hitchcock (Steven visits DC), & redmayne. (Thinking aloud: I think Ciccio would be my preference from this list.)

Also corcos is great & visits New York, but he’s not taking new clients until 2026.

For me, I don’t like steed’s silhouette. But you may like it - it’s not my tastes. Steed visits DC.

For English tailoring (I haven’t made it to London yet), my bucket list is very short: chittleborough, gieves & hawkes or Michael brown. While I mentioned Steven Hitchcock & redmayne above & they appear great, I’m more interest in the style of chittleborough/gieves/michael brown. Nothing against their workmanship & quality.

For Italian tailoring, that’s where the fun begins. You can find old maestros who are comfortable & they’ll cut you a suit for 2000€ (or less!). They have no social media or internet presence though which makes it part of the fun.

I've had good results with Steed but that comes through consistently making orders over a 10-year period. With any tailor they make mistakes from time to time, but they will go above and beyond to make any corrections needed to see that you are happy and satisfied. Also, a year for bespoke is quite common when first starting out and not something you want to rush.

Unless you are really enthusiastic about clothes, and ready to weather the storm I would recommend going MTM through Nomanwalksalone. They offer an awesome product at an affordable price.

LS chose a tailor he didn’t jives with initially and got them to piecemeal an acceptable product that they don’t normally cut. It’s okay. But it’s also why he’s so enthusiastic about Italian-inspired mtm. His sartorial home is Italy, not England. He’s been asking an English tailor to cut him an Italian suit for 10 years.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never owned anything bespoke before but I'm now obsessed with the idea of bespoke shoes from Alexandria (I'll even cross the river for that). If you were going to choose a bespoke shoe, what would you get?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads