• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for the tips! I was asking b/c Magee1866 is having a sale on their donegal tweeds.

I assume the tailors that have been mentioned in the thread previously can make coats too? Not just suiting?
IIRC Ezra has a few rolls of different topcoat fabrics. I asked him one time about buying my own fabric and giving it to him to make a suit and he advised against it, said the cost of shipping to Italy plus import duties and such makes it too expensive. I suppose if you were using a MTM shop with domestic production then maybe that wouldn't be as much of an issue?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Import duties should only be a problem if you are buying a baller fabric - US$800 is the threshold above which duties should come into play. I end up paying for shipping both ways, and import duties when I ship fabric to B&Tailor in Seoul to have them make some stuff up. Having fabric on hand allowed me to get started with them way back when - I was able to bring them the fabric, get measure, and have 2 fittings in the span of 2 weeks. That wouldn't have worked if they had to get the fabric from Europe, most likely.

When you buy your own fabric:
You might be limited to a retail store front selling in .5 meter increments. Your tailor might be buying via a channel in .1 meter increments, so you might be over buying
You might be over buying because you don't know how much you need of this large plaid fabric
You might be paying retail prices (cough Fox Brothers cough)
You might be putting your tailor in a weird spot if they screw up, and need to order more fabric - there is a higher likelihood if they buy the fabric, their agent knows what roll it was from, and if more from that roll is available versus you showing up with something

I say all of this as a weirdo with like 6 lengths of fabric on the shelf.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Import duties should only be a problem if you are buying a baller fabric - US$800 is the threshold above which duties should come into play. I end up paying for shipping both ways, and import duties when I ship fabric to B&Tailor in Seoul to have them make some stuff up. Having fabric on hand allowed me to get started with them way back when - I was able to bring them the fabric, get measure, and have 2 fittings in the span of 2 weeks. That wouldn't have worked if they had to get the fabric from Europe, most likely.

When you buy your own fabric:
You might be limited to a retail store front selling in .5 meter increments. Your tailor might be buying via a channel in .1 meter increments, so you might be over buying
You might be over buying because you don't know how much you need of this large plaid fabric
You might be paying retail prices (cough Fox Brothers cough)
You might be putting your tailor in a weird spot if they screw up, and need to order more fabric - there is a higher likelihood if they buy the fabric, their agent knows what roll it was from, and if more from that roll is available versus you showing up with something

I say all of this as a weirdo with like 6 lengths of fabric on the shelf.
Thanks, that's good to know!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Tim Carman's got a writeup about local cheesesteaks in the Post. He's a fan of Ghostburger, which I am now definitely going to have to try this weekend.

looks good...but with more dormant lifestyle i primarily switched to paleo diet of salad and grilled meat... i was able to shred 10lbs so far (while enjoying holiday chocolate) by giving up bread and other carbs

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@smittycl - I saw you posting Tenet as one of the dvds that was given to you... have you watched it? The reviews as so terrible https://www.redbox.com/movies/tenet yet i keep seeing ads for it...
Nolan movies can be very challenging. I generally like them and absolutely loved Interstellar. Tenet is very stylish and well-acted. Robert Pattinson steals most of his scenes and the short lunch scene with JDW and Michael Caine was priceless.

Only seen it once so far and decided to view it as a Bond flick and not read too much into the time travel stuff. I’d recommend it if you liked Inception. I may watch it again this weekend.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Nolan movies can be very challenging. I generally like them and absolutely loved Interstellar. Tenet is very stylish and well-acted. Robert Pattinson steals most of his scenes and the short lunch scene with JDW and Michael Caine was priceless.

Only seen it once so far and decided to rewatch it as a Bond flick and not read too much into the time travel stuff. I’d recommend it if you liked Inception. I may watch it again this weekend.
Loved the Interstellar... yet to see the Inception :|

so.... basically... if i want to actually follow a story and make sense of it - don't bother. but if i just want to see cool style and Bond like affects - go for it.

dc_slicker

Reaction score

Only seen it once so far and decided to view it as a Bond flick and not read too much into the time travel stuff. I’d recommend it if you liked Inception. I may watch it again this weekend.
ps. recently rewatched Rick and Morty. What a show. lol.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ps. recently rewatched Rick and Morty. What a show. lol.
Yeah, Tenet is fun to watch as a spy movie. Great action and effects, just ignore the guys running backwards all the time. I think Nolan went a bit too far with this one.

I think Rick has become my inner voice (that I thankfully manage to keep that way most of the time).

E0EBB9EF-3EB4-44AC-8E1E-733E4708E2D4.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member