• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually post on the DC sales thread. I work for a non-profit so I try to get stuff on sale rather than full price. About the only thing I go full MSRP is Alden shell shoes. I am lucky/cursed? to have an Alden company store here. A daughter in private school also limits my conspicuous consumption.

You can find some good, sale stuff at Marshalls, Nords Rack and TJMaxx around town. The ones in Tysons are really good. When the wife goes to Tysons mall, I'll jaunt over to see what's good.

I can recommend Oyamel on 7th st for tapas. I think it's a Jose Andres place. More mexican-style tapas than spanish, though.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually post on the DC sales thread. I work for a non-profit so I try to get stuff on sale rather than full price. About the only thing I go full MSRP is Alden shell shoes. I am lucky/cursed? to have an Alden company store here. A daughter in private school also limits my conspicuous consumption.

You can find some good, sale stuff at Marshalls, Nords Rack and TJMaxx around town. The ones in Tysons are really good. When the wife goes to Tysons mall, I'll jaunt over to see what's good.

I can recommend Oyamel on 7th st for tapas. I think it's a Jose Andres place. More mexican-style tapas than spanish, though.
Love Oyamel. My office is right above it.

Any luck finding second-hand Alden shell on ebay?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oyamel is Andres’ Mexican tapas place. His Spanish tapas is Jaleo about a block away. He has many restaurants here and all are good.

The Alden store is on F close to the Spy Museum and The Smith restaurant. Sky Valet at a city Center and in Georgetown also carries Alden and C&J.

I’ve given up on the outlets. Too much junk for the most part. The Zegna and Paul Stuart stores in Clarksburg have mostly mainline stuff with little filler.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love Oyamel. My office is right above it.

Any luck finding second-hand Alden shell on ebay?
Yes. I've bought some shortwings recently. Have to be careful as really used shoes have the foot imprint of the prior owner. They don't usually conform to my feet. Look at the sole pix carefully and will ask how heavily they've been used. Will sometimes ask how much the owner weighs. Heavier dude=deeper foot imprint.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing day for a long bike ride in DC. Tidal Basin was packed of course and the city is at its finest. Arlington to Capitol Hill to Georgetown to Arlington. Apologize for the pic overload.

E870AF5E-AFB9-493B-8F47-6CE3E4D1EFF0.jpeg DEF2D667-A8CB-4EEB-9CD2-C61B43C0205F.jpeg 2BC51D59-7E6F-406E-B347-9CFD42EAF7E9.jpeg DA00FE46-A3B1-491C-8C89-E8396A04AEEB.jpeg 45AEED55-64B2-4A60-B580-22492BE64F23.jpeg 37A1E34B-5A4E-4974-98CF-11D606168816.jpeg CE6DDEAA-B40D-47D5-BD23-E94F69015633.jpeg 7A51FD1B-1AB9-4026-BA0F-AE22545F6183.jpeg 978AD755-6D0D-45CC-80C4-F5444798FA21.jpeg 4C4FB590-3CCA-4E32-9584-3708B46B9097.jpeg
Cheers!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oyamel is Andres’ Mexican tapas place. His Spanish tapas is Jaleo about a block away. He has many restaurants here and all are good.

The Alden store is on F close to the Spy Museum and The Smith restaurant. Sky Valet at a city Center and in Georgetown also carries Alden and C&J.

I’ve given up on the outlets. Too much junk for the most part. The Zegna and Paul Stuart stores in Clarksburg have mostly mainline stuff with little filler.

Oyamel is good for drinks but for some fancy Mexican food and drinks Mi Vida on the SW Waterfront is the place to be.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing day for a long bike ride in DC. Tidal Basin was packed of course and the city is at its finest. Arlington to Capitol Hill to Georgetown to Arlington. Apologize for the pic overload.

View attachment 1152247 View attachment 1152248 View attachment 1152249 View attachment 1152250 View attachment 1152251 View attachment 1152252 View attachment 1152253 View attachment 1152254 View attachment 1152255 View attachment 1152256
Cheers!

If you are doing the Cherry Blossom festival next week I would recommend the Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown for something fun and different.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oyamel is good for drinks but for some fancy Mexican food and drinks Mi Vida on the SW Waterfront is the place to be.
Never been there. I will check it out. I prefer Jaleo to the other Andres restaurants.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any drinkers in this thread? My favorite liquor stores: 1) Ace (upper NW), 2) Sherry’s (Woodley Park), 3) Schneider’s (Capital Hill). My go-to is Sherry’s due to its proximity to my apartment. Insane selection of hard liquor, particularly amari and liqueurs.

I haven’t been to a proper cocktail bar in awhile. Drinks are so expensive and not really that much better than what I can make at home. I also dislike the trend of increasing cocktail complexity. There’s no reason you can’t make an exceptional drink with four or fewer readily available ingredients. My favorite modern classic, the Penicillin, is evidence of that.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any drinkers in this thread? My favorite liquor stores: 1) Ace (upper NW), 2) Sherry’s (Woodley Park), 3) Schneider’s (Capital Hill). My go-to is Sherry’s due to its proximity to my apartment. Insane selection of hard liquor, particularly amari and liqueurs.

I haven’t been to a proper cocktail bar in awhile. Drinks are so expensive and not really that much better than what I can make at home. I also dislike the trend of increasing cocktail complexity. There’s no reason you can’t make an exceptional drink with four or fewer readily available ingredients. My favorite modern classic, the Penicillin, is evidence of that.

Ha, we are on the same page. I usually don't go for cocktails unless I'm in Charleston, SC. I've been disappointed by so many cocktail bars in DC. I'm still not able to make a decent cocktail on my own but I am getting there. I'll be sure to check some of these liquor stores. I'm always interested in finding an interesting bottle of bourbon or tequila to try.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, we are on the same page. I usually don't go for cocktails unless I'm in Charleston, SC. I've been disappointed by so many cocktail bars in DC. I'm still not able to make a decent cocktail on my own but I am getting there. I'll be sure to check some of these liquor stores. I'm always interested in finding an interesting bottle of bourbon or tequila to try.
Lyon Hall in Arlington (close to Clarendon Metro) has a great bar. Farmers and Distillers makes a good cocktail as well.

Rye is my new fav. I judge a bar on how well they make a Rye Manhattan. Up of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads