• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exceedingly lame, in my opinion.

Like, cry me a river pining for the good ol days of SF, but, brosef, you made a conscientious choice to swim in the cesspool.

Hush?
9932EC35-35D3-438B-B3E9-679FBD94D44F.jpeg

symphvaria

Reaction score
It very much begs the question, if Twitter is truly such a cesspool (it is), is it really worth it to continue whining about it on there instead of just hitting ignore anytime some loon starts going on about oxfords being the only wearable shoes because derbies look like orthopedic shoes?

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that so many people on Twitter complain about Twitter and the people on it but still, for some reason, continue to use the platform on a daily basis. 🤷

Almost as if... they're addicts, and if they got off it they would feel a giant gaping void in their daily life that they've now spent many years cultivating and curating at great cost of time and mental well-being - with most often little meaningful reward in return.

"Sorry you've been psychologically manipulated and socially engineered by Silicon Valley [DARPA] into gamefying your life and identity, here's some Likes to cushion the blow."

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that so many people on Twitter complain about Twitter and the people on it but still, for some reason, continue to use the platform on a daily basis. 🤷
Boobs and non-ESPN sports commentary/coverage for me. Occasionally there will be a tidbit of useful info come through.

rjc149

Reaction score

Like, cry me a river pining for the good ol days of SF, but, brosef, you made a conscientious choice to swim in the cesspool.

Hush?
View attachment 1950419
I wasn't here during SF's "Golden Age" but my overall observations of Derek's interactions with posters here would go according to this general outline:

1. Find a thread with active posters.
2. Swoop in with a snarky/smart-ass comment to a select poster or two, then make his contribution to the discussion.
3. Post an album of photos.
4. Respond to select posters he just snarked and who admittedly can't really take a joke.
5. Devolve into tangential arguments and descend into tit-for-tat, often accompanied with juvenile memes.
6. Announce that the thread is now beneath his participation.
7. Find a new thread with active posters and repeat.

I noted an odd saintly regard of him soon after his "departure" which bordered on deification. "If DWW were still here, he'd be rolling in his grave" type comments. Weird but funny.

Derek, I know you're reading this on your smartphone while taking a dump. What's up bro.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hush?
View attachment 1950419
In a sense DWW is right but he ignores the reason, which is that no one wears clothes anymore.

I don’t mean that entirely metaphorically. Last summer I met some Canadian dude, maybe age 50, at a party here in Rome. It was at night, on a private terrace, with a buffet dinner. He was wearing cargo shorts and a cheap (fake) Panama hat which he did not remove at the table. He asked me about the climate in Rome in winter, and I described cool nights near freezing. He said, “So you have to wear pants?”

It took me a minute to realize he was not talking about strolling the Corso nude but rather enquiring as to the sacrifice of putting on a pair of big-boy trousers. In a European capital. In winter.

This is now normal.

So what is there to say about clothes at this point? People think “style” is the Met Gala, or what cretinous public figures are told to wear at marketing functions (aka awards ceremonies) by their corporate “sponsors.” If you live in a city like Seattle, neckties are actually considered blue-collar attire—it’s what waiters wear. When CEOs wear hoodies and Fleece vests with corporate logos, what is there left to discuss?

My grandfather was a traveling tailor who literally made bespoke suits for farmers; they needed one for Sundays. Today who wears any suit, much less bespoke, to church (except maybe a televangelist)? Unless you are a national-level politician or a trial lawyer, suits are cosplay.

SF today is largely about helping guys invited to a wedding who need their first (and surely last) $500 suit. Fine but…how many times are you going to log in and check the responses on that?

I have no idea what’s on Twitter—you would have to pay me large sums to go on there, even more than for reading anything about British royalty (or the Met Gala.) I’m not a social media Luddite—I have more than 120,000 Instagram followers, most of them in Italy—but I have better things to do than scroll (or troll) through tweets looking for something about menswear that might interest me.

This is the world we live in.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hush?
View attachment 1950419
Derek has always been salty, and age exacerbates saltiness unless one is making an acitve effort to mitigate that. I think that a lot of it is just more physical discomfort. Backs ache more, knees give out, muscles take longer ot recover, etc...

His exile from here is self-imposed. No one made him leave, and frankly, people treated him a lot better here than on twitter, which is admittedly an exceeding low bar. And people here genuinely like fashion in various forms and different aspects of it. And you can talk about any number of other things in relatively civil discussions as well.

He's welcome back anytime he'd like.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't here during SF's "Golden Age" but my overall observations of Derek's interactions with posters here would go according to this general outline:

1. Find a thread with active posters.
2. Swoop in with a snarky/smart-ass comment to a select poster or two, then make his contribution to the discussion.
3. Post an album of photos.
4. Respond to select posters he just snarked and who admittedly can't really take a joke.
5. Devolve into tangential arguments and descend into tit-for-tat, often accompanied with juvenile memes.
6. Announce that the thread is now beneath his participation.
7. Find a new thread with active posters and repeat.

I noted an odd saintly regard of him soon after his "departure" which bordered on deification. "If DWW were still here, he'd be rolling in his grave" type comments. Weird but funny.

Derek, I know you're reading this on your smartphone while taking a dump. What's up bro.
I've had many disagreements with Derek, but I'm a fan of his. Though, admittedly, I also quite appreciate snark.

FWIW, SF's golden age is laughably overhyped in my opinion. Entertaining, and informative, sure (it still is!), but so much of it seemed to involve Manton browbeating people into apathetic submission on an incredibly innocuous topic.
In a sense DWW is right but he ignores the reason, which is that no one wears clothes anymore.

I don’t mean that entirely metaphorically. Last summer I met some Canadian dude at a party here in Rome. It was at night, on a private terrace, with a buffet dinner. He was wearing cargo shorts and a cheap Panama hat which he did not remove at the table. He asked me about the climate in Rome in winter, and I described cool nights near freezing. He said, “So you have to wear pants?”

It took me a minute to realize he was not talking about strolling the Corso nude but rather enquiring as to the sacrifice of putting on a pair of big-boy trousers. In a European capital. In winter.

This is now normal.

So what is there to say about clothes at this point? People think “style” is the Met Gala, or what ignorant “entertainers” are told to wear at a premiere by their corporate “sponsors.” If you live in a city like Seattle, neckties are actually considered blue-collar attire—it’s what waiters wear. When CEOs wear hoodies and Fleece vests with corporate logos, what is there left to discuss?

My grandfather was a traveling tailor who literally made bespoke suits for farmers; they needed one for Sundays. Today who wears any suit, much less bespoke, to church (except maybe a televangelist)? Unless you are a national-level politician or a trial lawyer, suits are cosplay.

SF today is largely about helping guys invited to a wedding who need their first (and surely last) $500 suit. Fine but…how many times are you going to log in and check the responses on that?

I have no idea what’s on Twitter—you would have to pay me large sums to go on there, even more than for reading anything about British royalty (or the Met Gala.) I’m not a social media Luddite—I have more than 120,000 Instagram followers, most of them in Italy—but I have better things to do than scroll (or troll) through tweets.

This is the world we live in.
I just got the sense D was after some sort of unattainable nirvana, such as it were. You wanna talk about the virtues of hand padded lapels? Awesome…but that’s not exactly a conversation that has legs beyond the initial post.
I think Derek tired (for reasons I won’t begin to speculate about) on SF, and tried to come up with a magnanimous rationale to justify it. Doubtless (shock of all shocks) it wasn’t found on Twitter.
Derek has always been salty, and age exacerbates saltiness unless one is making an acitve effort to mitigate that. I think that a lot of it is just more physical discomfort. Backs ache more, knees give out, muscles take longer ot recover, etc...

His exile from here is self-imposed. No one made him leave, and frankly, people treated him a lot better here than on twitter, which is admittedly an exceeding low bar. And people here genuinely like fashion in various forms and different aspects of it. And you can talk about any number of other things in relatively civil discussions as well.

He's welcome back anytime he'd like.
Oh, that never even entered my sphere of thought, if I’m being honest.
To be frank, I don’t remotely consider D salty…though I am about as salty and disagreeable as they come, so YMMV.
Like I said, don’t care to surmise on why Derek left (again, idea of a ban never even crossed my mind) the forum, but I for one, disagreements and all, would be more than happy to have him back. Without having met him (or even knowing what he looks like!), I don’t for a second doubt he’s a solid dude. He’s an engaging and intelligent individual, and lord knows the world is in short enough supply of those as things stand.

karmaguy

Reaction score
At this point shouldn’t we just kill this thread? I miss when Derek was here but it doesn’t seem like he’s coming back and this thread has mostly devolved into convos about him and not clothes so…

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point shouldn’t we just kill this thread? I miss when Derek was here but it doesn’t seem like he’s coming back and this thread has mostly devolved into convos about him and not clothes so…
No reason for that, I think. Usually when a new DWW article drops there is some good discussion about it here.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb Luddite question: is there any way to reorder the blog entries on Die Workwear! from oldest to newest? Clicking "view older posts" dozens of times seems inefficient.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to surmise that, despite the antagonism he’s met by some people who just seem to make it their mission to antagonize, he probably has had a greater impact on Twitter than on SF. Here, you’re preaching to a choir - we’re all already interested in style and investing time and/or money into it. On his blog, even more so.

His audience on Twitter is a mass audience as a result of this weird Portnoy spat and resulting algorithm shift. He probably opens more eyes, dispenses more of that basic info we already know, and eventually sensitize a larger number of people to some of the topics he cares about.

If he was writing on style for the NYT or some mass publication, he wouldn’t necessarily find value in the Twitter channel. But he doesn’t have that access, so I’m guessing he values that new broader reach.

With a broader reach of course, comes a lot of negativity and trolling. I’m not really sure one can exist without the other. Even if you read comments on Gallagher’s pieces in the WSJ, you’ll find a good dose of people who don’t care about the topic and are very vocal about it.

I do think it would make sense to stay involved in this community here, otherwise he runs the risk of turning dieworkwear into a one-way conversation, and losing sight of some of the more in-depth conversations that make that broader educational reach more interesting and current.

SF and Twitter shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
medoctruyenfull