• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Where did You find those in canvas? I want/need a fresh pair of those and can’t find any

Hi all,

Anyone have experience with common projects made from canvas? How was the durability? Did they hold up noticeably longer than other sneakers you've owned made of canvas?

Considering a pair of tournament canvas sneakers in white.

Thank you!

Sam_M

Reaction score
I have a pair of canvas highs I posted a couple of pages back - they're holding up just fine. beat on em for a summer and they're okay!

Glad to hear!

Where did You find those in canvas? I want/need a fresh pair of those and can’t find any

YMMV with stock and sizing but I saw a few online through Barneys (seems like one-off pairs pop up randomly in the sale section). If you want to go the eBay route, there you'll find a small selection as well.

grayfox

Reaction score
I met one of the designers Peter P. while shopping at DSM in NYC last week. He is so kind, recommended me a few things to do during my visit. According to my girlfriend I was completely fanboying haha

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Angelus Sole Bright successfully on the soles of their CPs? I didn't have a drastically positive effect with it...

I have light grey achilles, and the sole is quite yellow. I applied with a toothbrush, wrapped in saran wrap, but unfortunately there's not much sun where I am at the moment (nor do I have a UV light) - I wonder how important that element is?

Also, I typically use Jason Markk cleaning products / repell, but I've heard recommendations of the Crep line. Any insights?

djbabu83

Reaction score
Anyone used Angelus Sole Bright successfully on the soles of their CPs? I didn't have a drastically positive effect with it...

I have light grey achilles, and the sole is quite yellow. I applied with a toothbrush, wrapped in saran wrap, but unfortunately there's not much sun where I am at the moment (nor do I have a UV light) - I wonder how important that element is?

Also, I typically use Jason Markk cleaning products / repell, but I've heard recommendations of the Crep line. Any insights?
From the videos I have seen on YT, Sole Bright is applied multiple times before you can see a difference.

djan

Reaction score
Do common projects chelsea boots fit more narrow than achilles lows? I've seen some pics and they look rather narrow. I wonder if I should size up from achilles or take the same size.

SimModa

Reaction score
Time is money, just invest in a new pair.
**Laughs** I usually don't entertain these types of responses but I think theres some misunderstanding and room for education. Here's my 2 cents.

I did purchase another pair because I am in a position where I can afford it. At the time there were sales going on, so I was waiting to snag a pair in my size at a good price rather rushing and spending $410+. Furthermore, I wasn't doing much on the weekend so I decided to clean the pair I had in the meantime. Cleaning the shoe probably took me 20 mins and then 2 mins each time I put on the Sole Bright, therefore 26 minutes total. Even though each sole bright session lasted 4-6 hours I wasn't actively present for more than 2 minutes. In 26 minutes I avoided spending $410+taxes. Now if you're making $1000/hr every hour of the day maybe thats not worth your time. Secondly, I could easily sell this now clean pair for $150-200 and invest that money towards another pair. Cutting my losses.

Your statement just comes off as close minded. What you may be making is not the same as someone else. Most people can't truly afford CPs even if they can buy them. I know college kids on this thread that put a significant chunk of their $ into a pair of shoes. Which IMO isn't a good decision but its better for them to clean their pair than just throwing them away and buying a new pair. By cleaning the shoes you are cutting losses and extending the life of the shoe that you spent $200-400 on. I'm going to go off on a limb and say that most people don't make more than $1000/hr and that its better to invest their time in cleaning their old pair. IDK, maybe my parents taught me different financial values.

More importantly, u/1up was asking for some advice regarding cleaning the shoes and I provided it.

Last edited:

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Laughs** I usually don't entertain these types of responses but I think theres some misunderstanding and room for education. Here's my 2 cents.

I did purchase another pair because I am in a position where I can afford it. At the time there were sales going on, so I was waiting to snag a pair in my size at a good price rather rushing and spending $410+. Furthermore, I wasn't doing much on the weekend so I decided to clean the pair I had in the meantime. Cleaning the shoe probably took me 20 mins and then 2 mins each time I put on the Sole Bright, therefore 26 minutes total. Even though each sole bright session lasted 4-6 hours I wasn't actively present for more than 2 minutes. In 26 minutes I avoided spending $410+taxes. Now if you're making $1000/hr every hour of the day maybe thats not worth your time. Secondly, I could easily sell this now clean pair for $150-200 and invest that money towards another pair. Cutting my losses.

Your statement just comes off as close minded. What you may be making is not the same as someone else. Most people can't truly afford CPs even if they can buy them. I know college kids on this thread that put a significant chunk of their $ into a pair of shoes. Which IMO isn't a good decision but its better for them to clean their pair than just throwing them away and buying a new pair. By cleaning the shoes you are cutting losses and extending the life of the shoe that you spent $200-400 on. I'm going to go off on a limb and say that most people don't make more than $1000/hr and that its better to invest their time in cleaning their old pair. IDK, maybe my parents taught me different financial values.

More importantly, u/1up was asking for some advice regarding cleaning the shoes and I provided it.

Not too many people making 1k/hr in the us, that’s over $2 million a year, in 2016 there were only a little over 100,000 people in the US making between 2-5 mill, that about 0.1% of the US population

ThePaleKin

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.

I'm also lucky enough to earn enough to buy new pairs but as you suggest wouldn't say I could *afford* them.

And actually I find the ritual and result of bringing an old pair back to life profoundly satisfying.

That's my two cents stacked neatly on top of yours.

GTI388

Reaction score

Clearly I hit a nerve. My comment was not meant to be condescending/malicious/snobbish. Based on your comment about “x” amount of hours to revive the shoe, my comment seems fair. I can appreciate those that actually find the process enjoyable or therapeutic.
I’m on a salary, not hourly wage. I have no idea how much I earn an hour. Definitely not $1000/hr, but I also don’t work 40 hour weeks. However, I am a believer of focusing on earning more versus saving every dollar. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads