• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

highcatcher91

Reaction score
What is the deal with creasing on the derbies? I need a new dress shoe and was going to buy the black crepe sole derbies but some of the creasing looks really bad. Any insight on this? Has anyones derbies become unwearable simply due to the creasing? Any good alternatives out there? (for the casual looking yet still formal derby).

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
I haven't had issues with creasing on the derby. I'm actually surprised how little my navy pair has creased compared to other pics I've seen. These are about 2 years old and get worn maybe 3-5 times a month. Even without trees here it's not bad at all..

greenmachine

Reaction score
i definitely have some significant creasing on mine but i wore them multiple times a week for a year soooo
still, it's hardly hideous or anything

on a largely unrelated note they are still by far the shoes i receive the most compliments on from complete randos

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
So you're interested in buying the sneakers, but still have to depreciate them based on some personal insecurities regarding your sexuality or how they will reflect on your character? If this is the case, I'd imagine the designers would prefer you don't buy/wear their product at all. I personally think it's a great color, aside from the fact that the men's fashion market has been somewhat oversaturated with it over the past 1.5 yrs.
Calm your pants. I have no problems about my sexuality, which (as it happens) goes anywhere. If anything it's the forum itself that has shown me on multiple occasions that some choices or interests can elicit negative/ridiculing responses.

highcatcher91

Reaction score
very helpful thanks all, I'm only gonna wear these once or twice a month so that should help with the creasing. the issue i face is I for some reason hate black dress shoes (oxfords) and these derbys are casual looking enough to be ok in my book. Grenson has similar ones but they are slightly clunkier. You think the black derby shines would work with a tux?

Last edited:

Hype1234

Reaction score

very helpful thanks all, I'm only gonna wear these once or twice a month so that should help with the creasing. the issue i face is I for some reason hate black dress shoes (oxfords) and these derbys are casual looking enough to be ok in my book. Grenson has similar ones but they are slightly clunkier. You think the black derby shines would work with a tux? 
I'm all for taming down a tux with a casual piece, but crepe and tux don't mix IMO.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still ******* talking about sizing? Jeezus what would you guys do without the internet.

I'm compiling this and the APC thread into a coffee table book entitled 'Crushed: The Size of Disappointment'.

Last edited:

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cause there's so much else to discuss, right?

cp and apc are both go-to brands for the dude who's just getting into dressing "better", so it's to be expected, and some of us don't actually mind helping out

way better than the other threads on here that are nothing but ego masturbation and narcissistic, pretentious dudes writing their posts up as if they're grad school theses, filling them up with all of the obscure latin/greek/french they can muster so that they can impress the other head-up-their-ass nerds reading them

but to each their own, i guess

Last edited:

Death24xASecond

Reaction score
It's funny that you'd say $500 Common Projects are for the person just trying to get into better clothing. Surely there are options in the $100-$400 range that they'd go for first?

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny that you'd say $500 Common Projects are for the person just trying to get into better clothing. Surely there are options in the $100-$400 range that they'd go for first? 

Does anyone really pay retail for CP? It's pretty easy to get them well under retail, so you could hit the <400 range for Achilles, chelseas, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads