• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

ScrubbyDoo

Reaction score
I know we've touched on the out of wack pricing but I genuinely had sticker shock seeing the Dylan jeans are now $940.
Mr. Porter still has them for $670 but my size is sold out & I think altering a 32 down to 28 would look funny.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we've touched on the out of wack pricing but I genuinely had sticker shock seeing the Dylan jeans are now $940.
Mr. Porter still has them for $670 but my size is sold out & I think altering a 32 down to 28 would look funny.
This brand seems to have this weird fixation with not allowing you to buy the (few) things that you want, while giving you plenty of options otherwise

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think most of the decisions being made involve cost cutting. While I still love Hedi’s work and whatever it is he is doing at Celine, I was pretty taken aback when I saw that all of their packaging and accessories (including their leather cases and sunglass pouches are all made in China). A few years ago I pointed this out to an SA, who proceeded to gaslight me until he saw for himself and had a look of shock and disappointment.

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with Made in China but it’s devious to sneak in and mix and match so much. They are really not far off from Zara anymore.

Edited to add that I wrote this before reading the last two enlightening pages. And to see if the word F***ers works.

Last edited:

Dawnwolf

Reaction score
My fancy sneakers are on the way.
I like the design of the high top version (better than the CT line imo, if only they did not put a CELINE on the sole) but the leather on these feels like ****.

I never bought luxury sneakers but do they all feel like that (super fine cardboard like leather?)

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I like the design of the high top version (better than the CT line imo, if only they did not put a CELINE on the sole) but the leather on these feels like ****.

I mentioned that I wasn't impressed with the aging of my leather Celine sneakers a little while back. I think your comparison does a good job of illustrating the problem I had; The creases looked very cardboardy.

I never bought luxury sneakers but do they all feel like that (super fine cardboard like leather?)

The only "luxury" sneakers I have are some pairs from Rick Owens and they've been aging very well.

Partially relevant but I was actually looking at some pairs from Ann Demeulemeester that seem cool. Basic enough to wear often but spicy enough to keep me interested for a long time.
17672046GE_14_f.jpg

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER Sneakers Black Soft Leather

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER Sneakers Black Soft Leather, Textile fibres

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so that you know, Italy is one of the few EU countries that have no minimum wage. I’ve heard stories of what are essentially chinese sweatshops in Italy land just for that coveted “Made in Italy” tag, and all is legal. No idea if there’s any truth to it though.

I do know italians are great at marketing themselves. Spain is the country that produces more olive oil, and Italy buys a large chunk of it, bottles it in Italy with an italian sounding brand along an italian flag, and charges more for it.
If I recall a lot of garment production follows the same procedure. A large chunk of production is done in an Eastern European country and then shipped to Italy for finishing so that under loose regulations of garment % production, it would legally qualify as Made in Italy.

None of that really matters when the CHOICE of production quality was never strongly considered. I remember seeing Heidi era boots in a FB group, literally split apart on the heel to reveal the internal plastic structure.

parade

Reaction score
None of that really matters when the CHOICE of production quality was never strongly considered. I remember seeing Heidi era boots in a FB group, literally split apart on the heel to reveal the internal plastic structure.
I think the fact that plastic is used in the internal structure of high heels is blown out of proportion.
  • I think it is an "industry standard" for high heel blocks to contain a plastic inner core.
  • It is hard to not realize that the plastic (with cut outs) reduces the overall weight of the high heel, compared to if it was a solid block of stacked leather, which improves comfort to the wearer.
  • This has been done since the Hedi Dior Homme era.
Thin leather stacked heel covers wrap around the inner plastic core as part of industry standard practices:
IMG_9898-640x480.jpeg

Example of it on harness Wyatts:
1693526778765.png

Dior Homme example:
unknown.png

unknown.png

You can see the plastic imprint, and how it has pockets to cut down on the weight, compared to a single block, similar to what you see in the Wyatts.

Dior Homme fw05 high heel boots with the leather stacked heel covers peeling off:
1693526990679.png

1693527007502.png

The perfect uniform layers is a tell that it is a leather stacked heel cover.

People who care about wanting a solid leather high heel have a workwear mentality, and most likely romanticizes the idea that footwear needs break-in, and feel heavy-duty, in order to be considered "proper" footwear.

I prefer Hedi's approach to footwear that requires zero break-in and feels as light as possible. Those are things that I view as quality.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very thoughtful and enlightening post. It reminds me, I have a few John Lobbs, and the obvious differences besides sometimes the buttery look of the leather and the cuts of course is that they use a single piece of leather, so no stictch in the back. The other thing to me they feel heavier, which is not necessarily a good thing especially after a long day. I wonder if they're purely stacked versus having that structure. Anyway, it's always a balance of old-school cool and good looks.

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
I don't see how adding the plastic woud save money anyway? Extra tooling, an extra product, extra step to the manufacturing process... doesn't seem like cost cutting to me

Louis Louis

Reaction score
Plastic is cheap, light, easy to produce, can be stored almost indefinitely and not sensible to hygrometry.
One can imagine that the heels are produced en masse in China at a ridiculous cost.

Big companies love cash more than quality, for exemple when Prada Group bought Church’s the quality hits the floor, they used binded leather which is very stiff and unpleasant to wear.

But some shoemakers still do real shoes with excellent leather. Marsell for example is outstanding quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads