• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cappedncollared:
You said you wear
Rain - UK 8
Forrest - UK 8
Alden Barrie - US 8D (full size down, rather than half size as most people have)

Interesting ...

I wear:

Rain - UK 8
Forest - UK 8
Alden Barrie - US 9D

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Cappedncollared:
You said you wear
Rain - UK 8
Forrest - UK 8
Alden Barrie - US 8D (full size down, rather than half size as most people have)

Interesting ...

I wear:

Rain - UK 8
Forest - UK 8
Alden Barrie - US 9D
My sizing has been the same as Sevenfold,

Detroit last - UK 11
Forest - UK 12 ( Can't fit my foot in a UK 11)
Alden barrie last - US 12 D

cappedncollared

Reaction score
Cappedncollared:
You said you wear
Rain - UK 8
Forrest - UK 8

Interesting ...

I wear:

Rain - UK 8
Forest - UK 8
Alden Barrie - US 9D

9D would swim on me.

I was borderline 8 / 8.5 on Barrie and prefer my shoes on the snug side, so took a gamble on the 8 giving slightly. So far I think I made the right choice, though 8.5C would probably be ideal

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So guess what, as I didn't get a single reply, I took a punt on a UK8.5 for a pair of navy shell wholecuts. It wasn't my decision...that was the only size available online. First off, awesome shoe...I normally go for safe round toe shoes but I love the sleek angles on this one. The width felt fine and non invasive...however the length was a bit more than I like. My heel was moving up with every step. That was day one. Second day, my feet started to get used to them and now it's fine. I think a lot of the slippage came from the lining being brand new.But maybe I will ask for a Carmina insole with my next order just to make them absolutely right. But my next two orders will definitely be in UK8. Another Rain and the double monk Inca. Meanwhile this beauty is on it's way....Cognac/Cigar Shell...in size UK8 of course. Left is 8 right is 8.5...just in case anyone thinks I have two left feet.
Hello fiddler, any update on sizing the rain last? You eventually settled on sizing down 1 size in the rain instead of 1/2? Any updates on the shell whole cut? Looks brilliant

Fiddler

Reaction score
^^ I have Rain in both UK8 (single monk shell) and UK8.5 (the wholecuts in navy shell above).

My preference is greatly for the UK8.5 as it is the most comfortable for my feet. I am a US9D (left foot is 9, right foot is a couple of mm longer).

The UK8 monks fit my left foot perfectly but they do pinch the little toe of my right foot a bit. Hence, I prefer UK8.5.

For Inca Last, I can wear UK8, no problem.

For Oscar Last, I definitely have to take UK8.5 as this last has a noticably lower instep.

I will post some pics of the navy wholecut when I next wear them.

calidist

Reaction score
Would someone with a size 7.5 UK Rain-lasted shoe be so kind as to post the outersole length and outersole ball of foot measurements?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
speaking of measurements, here are the outsole measurements for simpson last size uk11 and uk11.5

11= width 115 mm
Length 329 mm

11.5= width 117 mm
length 333 mm

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^ I have Rain in both UK8 (single monk shell) and UK8.5 (the wholecuts in navy shell above).

My preference is greatly for the UK8.5 as it is the most comfortable for my feet. I am a US9D (left foot is 9, right foot is a couple of mm longer).

The UK8 monks fit my left foot perfectly but they do pinch the little toe of my right foot a bit. Hence, I prefer UK8.5.

For Inca Last, I can wear UK8, no problem.

For Oscar Last, I definitely have to take UK8.5 as this last has a noticably lower instep.

I will post some pics of the navy wholecut when I next wear them.

thanks man. i think ive settled on rain in uk11

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gents!

We are trying to get a MTO going for a CAPTOE oxford in SADDLE SHELL CORDOVAN on the RAIN last.

We are doing this MTO through Gentlemans Footwear.

PM myself if interested or steveyoo1983

Thanks!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Betty is suggesting I size down an additional 1/2 size from the 11UK I wear in the Forest last for a new Inca last purchase. I'm somewhat skeptical of the suggestion due to how similar the Forest last is supposed to be with the Inca last. How accurate has Betty's sizing recommendations been for others? Also, if I go with her suggestion and the shoes are too small, am I on the hook for the additional shipping and duties for the exchange? Looking to place the order today, so any help would be appreciated.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I wear 8.5UK in Rain/Oscar and have no problems getting into a Inca size 8UK.....so she could be right.

WiredandTired

Reaction score

Betty is suggesting I size down an additional 1/2 size from the 11UK I wear in the Forest last for a new Inca last purchase.  I'm somewhat skeptical of the suggestion due to how similar the Forest last is supposed to be with the Inca last.  How accurate has Betty's sizing recommendations been for others?  Also, if I go with her suggestion and the shoes are too small, am I on the hook for the additional shipping and duties for the exchange?  Looking to place the order today, so any help would be appreciated.

Do you have wide or narrow feet? Inca is considered a wider last, the recommendation might be given if you have narrow feet or mentioned you have narrow feet.

You probably are on the hook for returns. At least when I went through the carmina threads, there's been no instances of being reimbursed for shipping on exchanges or defects.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have wide or narrow feet? Inca is considered a wider last, the recommendation might be given if you have narrow feet or mentioned you have narrow feet.

You probably are on the hook for returns. At least when I went through the carmina threads, there's been no instances of being reimbursed for shipping on exchanges or defects.

I'm on the wide side of a 12D U.S., which means I can do D widths for normal lasts (like AE's 5 last), but am out of luck for narrow lasts (like AE's 8 last and Brooks Brothers C&J 240 last).

WiredandTired

Reaction score

I'm on the wide side of a 12D U.S., which means I can do D widths for normal lasts (like AE's 5 last), but am out of luck for narrow lasts (like AE's 8 last and Brooks Brothers C&J 240 last).

Which shoe you looking at? Monk straps or lace ups?

Since you say you are on the wide side of a D, I wouldn't size down more than 1 full for UK size, but YMMV. I also don't mind using an insole though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads