• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
2015 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout...FULL Collection.

ANY QUESTIONS?
DM me...

I don't often suffer from beer envy but I may have to make an exception here.

Haven't been able to source any BCBS in the UK for over 12 months now.

breakneckz

Reaction score
Egg on face!!!!
Moved from South Jersey (outside of Philly) to Chicago area last May! Can't believe I never changed it!!!!!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Indeed, nice score. My wife and I were shopping for furniture the Saturday after Thanksgiving right around the Goose Island brewpub in Lincoln Park and I convinced her to stop in after a few hours of shopping. Sure enough, they had some of the Bourbon County left from the prior day. I was a lucky man.:)

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some recent beers here. Had the two previous years' Deschutes Black Buttes back-to-back (and in the wrong order) recently. They were definitely tasty, although I was more partial to the XXV. There's still some of the XXVII hanging around town but, I'm embarrassed to say, I think I've got too much beer right now to bother to get it and sit on it for a while like these.

Got some of Maine Beer Company's Peeper. I probably hadn't had this in five or more years, and I really didn't remember what it was like. Maybe this bottle was old, but I wasn't all that impressed. Crisp and dry, but also thin. Flavor was a bit lacking.

Totally new brewery for me, again from Maine. I thought this was really nice -- it just hit all the marks you'd hope for the style. Really enjoyable.

Another new one from Maine, but not one to be repeated. Maybe it was the style, since I'm not a fan of Scotch ales in general, but this one grossed me out. Nothing but malt and an almost vinegarish flavor. I poured the entire thing out after two sips and moved on to a Block 15 Autumn Farmhouse Ale. Skipping that one here (along with a bunch of others -- pFriem IPA, '12 Squatters Fifth Element (still coming along nicely), a couple more -- since I've already posted them at some point).

This one was amazing. Just awesome. Clear raspberry flavor, a bit tart, super dry . . . I'm so glad I've got a couple more bottles of this. I was also surprised as I'd had their Framboise Black last year (and am still kicking myself for not grabbing a couple of bottles of it), and I remember it being much different -- dark, heavy, etc.

This one was weird to me. I didn't know what to expect, and my hopes may have been too high. It smelled like cat piss (in a bit stronger than the usual way), had some sour at first, then a bunch of hops, and then nothing. The taste just died at the end. I didn't dislike it, but I think I was expecting something really good. It was an interesting beer to have after the Framboise White, however, and actually seemed to work pretty well as a follow-up.

Part of a random mixed six pack from Florida breweries. Hadn't heard of this place before. Super malty smell just on opening the can -- seriously, it smelled just like a brewery. That wasn't a particularly auspicious start for an IPA in my opinion, and the flavor followed suit. Not terrible, and totally drinkable, but nothing I'm going to seek out.

More from Maine, and also deceptively named. There's no smoke here, nothing to justify the bonfire name. Get a bit of rye, but not much. Not a bad IPA-tasting beer, but I'd been hoping for something more.

My final recent beer, and another from Florida. This was nice for a pale, about what you'd expect, but nothing I'd seek out.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
I did a count and clocked in at 586... No buying beer in february for me...
shog[1].gif

Waiting until March! Are you sure you will last?
tongue.gif

I recently took advantage of the sale at Beergium and used my loyalty points to get some bargains - should be arriving next week. I had promised myself no orders until the Spring but the offer was too enticing.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys pay out the ass for shipping over in Euroland when you buy beer online?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys pay out the ass for shipping over in Euroland when you buy beer online?

Usually not. In Germany, it's 0 - 6 € and I can order 27-30kg from Beergium, Belgium, to Germany for 3.50 €. ;) Other shops are more expensive (10-20€ ish) cross-country though.

http://www.beergium.com/fr/content/7-tarifs-de-livraison
ironically, shipping "promo [i.e. full] boxes" to Belgium is more expensive than to Germany @ Beergium.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score

Not really.

If I buy from Mikkeller it is free shipping over 1,000kr which equates to roughly £100.

Both Saveur Biere and Beergium's shipping charges are tiered and increase by weight but is capped at about £25 so I think that is pretty decent considering how much couriers cost in the UK - and their service is superb.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
Took a punt on this a while back but didn't have high hopes due to the low Ratebeer score.

What do they know eh? Pretty solid effort from Mikkeller - not particularly sour but very fruity and vinous with some nice woody/earthy notes and very nicely balanced.

Nice to have a Mikkeller that doesn't give your taste buds a hammering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads