• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

hc4thehc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New beers:

caid-bp7

Reaction score
I'm sure most people have seen this but Paste did a blind tasting of 116 American IPAs. I thought the article was really interesting.

And Grapefruit Sculpin was really high on the 116. I've got a case coming back from Arizona with my friend's parents next week, because Ballast Point still hates Canada, but I'm really excited to try it out. Sculpin was one of my first IPA loves.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beergium order arived today.
Jai Alai IPA is very nice. Pretty sweet and strong, almost scratching the IIPA surface. 3 months since "bottling" (canning), so not that fresh, but it's probably impossible to get it any fresher in Europe other than by proxy. I'll probably have to order some more from Beergium. Price isn't "great" (3x markup if the 11 USD / 6 cans is reasonable) but still decent. Edit: The Red Ale is also very good.

Speaking of which, can you guys help me pick some stuff to fill my order? Those are fresh in stock at Beergium. I'd rather rely on your experiences than BA/RateBeer. I'll also get more AleSmith. No need to worry, @hc4thehc. ;)

Jester King Mad Meg/El Cedro/Ambrée/Noble King/Snörkel
Hopfenstark Saison Station 7/Satation 16/ Station 55
Two Roads Worker's Comp Saison/Lil' Heaven/Honeyspot/Unorthodox
Blue Mountain Dark Hollow/Long Winters Nap/ Full Nelson PA/Wee Heavy Scotch Ale/Kolsch 151/Classic Lager
Against the Grain+Stillwater Tall Tale/Little Did We Know,
B. Nektar Kill All The Golfers/Necromangocon,
Crooked Stave St. Bretta (Fall)/Vieille Artisianal (Cranberry&Spices)/Nightmare on Brett/Stave Origins/Flor d'Lees
Port Brewing High Tide Fresh Hop IPA
High Water Hop Riot IPA
Hoppin Frog Gulden Fraug/Tower Tuesday
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere/Luciernaga/Oro de Calabaza
Westbrook Märzen
Lost Abbey Lost and Found

Thoughts on Brekeriet (other than their Cassis)?

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grapefruit Sculpin is great. One of the standards here. You can find it at just about any Whole Foods in CA.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Jai Alai -- one of my favorites. Not to in any way slight grapefruit sculpin but I prefer the regular sculpin to that (so many good IPAs have noticeable grapefruit flavors anyway, so not sure I appreciate the addition of it). Probably prefer Jai Alai though. All three are great beers, no doubt.

hc4thehc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure most people have seen this but Paste did a blind tasting of 116 American IPAs. I thought the article was really interesting.

Read it this morning - part of the reason why I'm suddenly asking for Sculpin (well that and the fact that you guys all seem to love it)...

b1os: Geers had Jai Alai last summer... If they re-stock it, I'll try and get you a six pack mate!..

Oh: and try this beer, b1os!..

http://www.beergium.com/en/to-ol/2591-to-ol-****-art-this-is-religion-33cl.html

Ken P: thanks a bunch mate!..

First sunny day here, and have some days off... So had a beer this afternoon in the sun...

P1040600_zpspywy4gc1.jpg

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh: and try this beer, b1os!..

http://www.beergium.com/en/to-ol/2591-to-ol-****-art-this-is-religion-33cl.html

I've had this last year. Very nice. From what I recall, or at least what my post said, the aroma iis similar to Mikkeller's Tiger Baby.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

found this today. can't find a date but tastes a month or two old. that grapefruit is pretty prominent tho. i like

this is great. really really juicy with a nice dankness to it. very clean tasting. has a very strong bitter bite to it in the finish tho. one of the best IPAs from oregon and totally worth $4.

Nice stuff! I really want to try that Grapefruit Sculpin (and it should be coming into my market soon!) and that Breakside IPA is fantastic.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like grapefruit sculpin. Theoretically I should but to me it's sort of disjointed when you drink it. Smells completely like normal Sculpin. The taste starts with normal Sculpin and then you get hit with the grapefruit juice when you swallow. I keep giving it more chances but it still doesn't really impress me. I'm also not sure it really belonged in that Paste article. It's not like beer is brewed to taste like grapefruit it's more or less an IPA-Radler.

Time to wait in line. Wish me luck!

I'll be there. I'll probably be the only other guy wearing Engineered Garments. Say hi!

Jester King Mad Meg/El Cedro/Ambrée/Noble King/Snörkel
Hopfenstark Saison Station 7/Satation 16/ Station 55
Two Roads Worker's Comp Saison/Lil' Heaven/Honeyspot/Unorthodox
Blue Mountain Dark Hollow/Long Winters Nap/ Full Nelson PA/Wee Heavy Scotch Ale/Kolsch 151/Classic Lager
Against the Grain+Stillwater Tall Tale/Little Did We Know,
B. Nektar Kill All The Golfers/Necromangocon,
Crooked Stave St. Bretta (Fall)/Vieille Artisianal (Cranberry&Spices)/Nightmare on Brett/Stave Origins/Flor d'Lees
Port Brewing High Tide Fresh Hop IPA
High Water Hop Riot IPA
Hoppin Frog Gulden Fraug/Tower Tuesday
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere/Luciernaga/Oro de Calabaza
Westbrook Märzen

Bolded what I think you should get. Striked out what you shouldn't bother with. The others I haven't tried or don't know enough about them to give you any insight.

caid-bp7

Reaction score
To add to the (D)IPA talk - split this with a friend last night and it was fantastic:

This week I've also had a couple Dieu de Ciel stouts. I liek the Aphrodisiaque better out of the two. A local brewery just put out a Black IPA as well which was fantastic. I split the growler with my wife who made it through half of her pint.

Apologies for crappy Untappd photos.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ken.

I'm really looking forward to the opening of the Stone Brewing brewery here in Berlin next year!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads